It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IOBit Product Warning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I was using a product called Advanced System Care which of itself is a very good program but I made the mistake of downloading the professional edition from Giveawayoftheday.

When the 12 months expired, I started getting popups stating that it has expired that I must re-new the licence. I eventually got sick of this crap and so I uninstalled it for 2 or 3 weeks and then installed the free edition.

It now pollutes my screen with popups telling me that its expired and to renew the license. Obviously the program is never going to stop throwing up these popup warnings. I have come to absolutely hate this program so now I am going to uninstall it and never re-install it again and I'm talking about the free edition here.

Be warned.
edit on 23-8-2014 by learnatic because: typo

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: learnatic

Uninstall it and use CCleaner to clean your registry , then either reinstall system care or just stick with CCleaner.
You could also check your program files to make sure the uninstaller removed the system care folder.
In my opinion CCleaner is all you need.

edit on 23-8-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   

...but I made the mistake of downloading the professional edition from Giveawayoftheday.

"giveawayoftheday", mistake you say? No way.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
IOBit is a "legitimate" company that peddles crapware. They don't have a good program. Ask any experienced Technician, and they will tell you to steer clear of their "products".

In your case, you got not only iobit's crapware, but also got some adware/junkware from the place you downloaded it. Sorry you had to learn the hard way. But it happens a lot, unfortunately.

ETA: Forgot to add. Along with Ccleaner mentioned above. You might want to run Adwcleaner and malwarebytes. Together, they should clean up the mess, unless you have something more serious. Ccleaner and malwarebytes can be gotten from filehippo.com. Adwcleaner should be downloaded from bleepingcomputer.com. Both clean sites, though I don't recommend clicking the ads on filehippo.com.

edit on 8/23/2014 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Wow I always trusted IOBit due to GameBooster (now owned by Razer Inc). Looks like they weren't so good after all

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Wait, you installed a free trial of something and when it expired you uninstalled it, then reinstalled it, and it is telling you it's still expired, and it's the softwares fault???

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

What he said.....

IOBit cause me all sorts of issues....including a browse hijack that tagged along on an install.
You cannot be too careful where you get your downloads from these days.

If you go to the program site....and they direct you to a download site not listed in Klassified's post....I would recommend running CCleaner and a malwarbytes scan immediately after installing a new program.
Or see if the program is available at filehippo or bleepingcomputers.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Just to add - browser hijacking is often the result of using "Express" inslall.

Always choose "Custom" install and un-check any boxes for add on's you do not want when adding new software.

I had advanced system care on an old XP Pro pc - with no drama.

The game booster function was cool !

edit on 24-8-2014 by Timely because: sp.

posted on Aug, 24 2014 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch

No, first of all I had the free edition. Then the pro edition was on giveawayoftheday as a giveaway downloaded it and installed it. When giveaway period expired after 12 months I uninstalled it then reinstalled the free edition. Now I get the popup messages so uninstalled the free edition.

top topics

join