It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Change Gives Birth to New Hybrid Species.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Whoa, ATS! This comes right out of left-field; I was not expecting this. According to the article, Climate Change is causing an interbreeding among different species of animals. Polar Bears and Grizzly Bears, white Whale and Bow-head Whale's, Western Cyotes and Wolves, etc..Apparently, interbreeding between animals has always happened but it occurs more as the weather WARMS and animals are forced to move into new habitats bringing them in contact with other species.

It is not just man made changes that has an effect on the environment that causes this. It is also seen that in some cases, these hybrid animals are a response to the changing environment. There was a new crossbred animal that was born when a sudden increase in the population of white-tailed deer was seen on the East Coast of the US. The coywolf is a mixture of Western coyotes and wolves that hunts the deer. The coywolves are strong and hunt in packs that it can also adapt to live near humans like the coyotes.

Global warming is the biggest cause of hybridization. With the melting of ice, more species of seals, whales and bears will cross breed with other aquatic species.

Wow, this is news to me, and it totally cements the Global Warming/ Climate Change reality in my mind. Maybe as the environment changes with less food/ water available and less land to habitat on people will come closer together as well. Too bad it will take something as major as death on a global scale for this to happen. Anyway, here's the article. Have at it, ATS!

au.ibtimes.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

This reminds me of a documentury I saw a while back about the Grizzly–polar bear hybrid

A grizzly–polar bear hybrid (also pizzly bear, prizzly bear, Polar-Grizz [citation needed], or grolar bear) is a rare ursid hybrid that has occurred both in captivity and in the wild. In 2006, the occurrence of this hybrid in nature was confirmed by testing the DNA of a strange-looking bear that had been shot near Sachs Harbour, Northwest Territories on Banks Island in the Canadian Arctic.[3]

Possible wild-bred polar bear-grizzly bear hybrids have been reported and shot in the past, but DNA tests were not available to verify the bears' ancestry.

Analyses of DNA sequences of bears have recovered multiple instances of introgressive hybridization between various bear species, including introgression of polar bear DNA intro brown bears during the Pleistocene.

Wiki doesn't go into the reason why this is happening with increasing frequency
edit on 21-8-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

OOOhhhh NOOOO, This, Doesn't, Prove Global Warming.....I'm A, Republican, of-course, certainly not a Scientist.
I will cover my eyes and say its all lies

[sarcasm]

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69

This reminds me of a documentury I saw a while back about the Grizzly–polar bear hybrid

A grizzly–polar bear hybrid (also pizzly bear, prizzly bear, Polar-Grizz [citation needed], or grolar bear) is a rare ursid hybrid that has occurred both in captivity and in the wild. In 2006, the occurrence of this hybrid in nature was confirmed by testing the DNA of a strange-looking bear that had been shot near Sachs Harbour, Northwest Territories on Banks Island in the Canadian Arctic.[3]

Possible wild-bred polar bear-grizzly bear hybrids have been reported and shot in the past, but DNA tests were not available to verify the bears' ancestry.

Analyses of DNA sequences of bears have recovered multiple instances of introgressive hybridization between various bear species, including introgression of polar bear DNA intro brown bears during the Pleistocene.

Wiki doesn't go into the reason why this is happening with increasing frequency

We all know why...
edit on 21-8-2014 by lostbook because: fix

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: SirKonstantin

OOOhhhh NOOOO, This, Doesn't, Prove Global Warming.....I'm A, Republican, of-course, certainly not a Scientist.

[sarcasm]

Almost funny if not so true.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Global warming=jungle fever? Somebody give Halle Berry my phone number.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Yup - saw this on National Geographic Wild with my boys. The Grizzlies are moving up, and the Polars are moving down, and they are meeting in the middle (hubba hubba!). A shame, really. Polar bears are so cool (gah! No pun intended), and we're witnessing their evolution into a new breed.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: SirKonstantin

[sarcasm]

Wait?! I have to be a Republican to think MAN MADE climate change is BS?

Someone forgot to tell me.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
If they are interbreeding and creating viable off-spring, then it means that perhaps they shared a common ancestor or two. Which could mean that the speciation between those groups should be examined more closely.

Canids, as far as I know, can all interbreed with varying results (the "Shih Tzu, Bulldog joke comes to mind.)

The interbreeding isn't scaring me as much as the behavior changes in the Wolf/Coyote prodigy are.

natgeotv.com...

coyote attack

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I'm packing my bags. I'm going to go live with a troop of Bonobos.
When you start seeing a strawberry blonde chimp subspecies, you know who to give credit.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Global warming=jungle fever? Somebody give Halle Berry my phone number.

funny! lmao!!

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

First, I think your reading comprehension could use some work.

A study that was published last year in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences showed that cross breeding between the two species has existed since ages.

This is talking about hybrid polar bears and grizzlies. The article mentions that hybriziation is more common when the weather is warm, but if hybridization has existed between the two species "since ages" that means that the weather only has to get to a certain degree of warm, a degree of warm that is naturally possible, for this to occur.

It is not just man made changes that has an effect on the environment that causes this. It is also seen that in some cases, these hybrid animals are a response to the changing environment. There was a new crossbred animal that was born when a sudden increase in the population of white-tailed deer was seen on the East Coast of the US. The coywolf is a mixture of Western coyotes and wolves that hunts the deer. The coywolves are strong and hunt in packs that it can also adapt to live near humans like the coyotes.

Now, let's address the coywolves.

This is incredibly poorly written, and the editor should be shot for allowing something so confusing to get to press. Basically, what this seems to be saying is that man-made change isn't the only reason for hybridization, and that the coywolves are in fact an example of the latter, natural environment changes causing them to hybridize.

They are citing the increase in White Tail Deer population as the cause of the rise of coywolves.

Then do they make the claim that Global Warming is actually the biggest reason of hybridization.

Global warming is the biggest cause of hybridization. With the melting of ice, more species of seals, whales and bears will cross breed with other aquatic species.

They do this without giving any direct examples of critters that hybridize solely because of Global Warming. Remember, the polar bear and grizzly have been hybridizing all along ... long before global warming.

Oh, and the whoever edited this also missed that they should be using "clashing" instead of "crashing" when they are talking about the interaction of the two bear populations. I'm sure I could find other issues in this article. Actually I have.

I'm betting that the coywolves really are caused by man in two different ways, neither of which have to do with glo0bal warming. One has to do with our overhunting of wolves. They don't have enough mates of their own kind, so they breed with coyotes the next, best thing. And we have allowed deer to overpopulate pretty much everywhere because we've killed off the dominate predators and anti-hunting types can't stand the thought of Bambi being killed, so there is no proper cull. Hence the rampant deer population the article cites.

There. Had at. And I am no Republican.
edit on 21-8-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I have seen some odd canines around where I live. I believe domestic strays are breeding with the coyotes and producing offspring that are closer to their more primitive ancestors.
I saw one that had a physique closer to a hyena than a modern dog. The front legs were longer than the rear and it had a "mohawk" of bristly hairs running from the crown to its rear. It was overall dark in color, but it had a striped pattern in its fur. I would guess it was a 40 or 50 pound animal. I have never seen another like it. It looked like something that should be from Africa.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   

would it really be a new breed if they are related? Polar bears used to be Grizzly bears & that is why they are able to mate & produce offspring. I was watching a documentary last week that mentioned that.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Yooou know who I''m talking about.lol

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Climate change forces migration and/or adaptation, hence biological evolutionary changes.

It's been happening since the planet formed and life emerged.

That's why we see a bazillion different types of related species around the world of everything from plants to insects to reptiles to mammals.

posted on Aug, 21 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Humanzees!

But aren't there already a ginger ape species aka the orangutan?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Did it look like this critter?

thai ridgeback

Though I doubt there would be many of those running loose.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

Did it look like this critter?

thai ridgeback

Though I doubt there would be many of those running loose.

I did some digging on the net. This animal, an aardwolf, is very similar to what I saw. These things are supposed to be in Africa, not Texas.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Just look at the Platypus....I dont know what went on between the beaver and the duck but the result was one ot the only 5 mammals that lays eggs...I know it is unlikely the mix that made this animal but just look at it....nuff said

(according to wiki)

The platypus is a semiaquatic egg-laying mammal endemic to eastern Australia, including Tasmania. Together with the four species of echidna, it is one of the five extant species of monotremes, the only mammals that lay eggs instead of giving birth.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join