It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Easily Slipped Weapons Past TSA’s X-Ray Body Scanners

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Link

The idea of total security and the true meaning of freedom existing at the same time is never the correct path to take. The word freedom has many different meanings to many different people and it is this very notion that makes us free. The %100 freedom to be completely different people from one another.

Two years ago, a blogger named Jonathan Corbett published a YouTube video that seemed to show a facepalm-worthy vulnerability in the TSA’s Rapiscan full-body X-ray scanners: Because metal detected by the scanners appeared black in the images they created, he claimed that any passenger could hide a weapon on the side of his or her body to render it invisible against the scans’ black background. The TSA dismissed Corbett’s findings, and even called reporters to caution them not to cover his video.

Are they showing this just to scare us? Could they be using this to try and boost security in other places?

Now a team of security researchers from the University of California at San Diego, the University of Michigan, and Johns Hopkins plans to reveal their own results from months of testing that same model of scanner. And not only did they find that Corbett’s weapon-hiding tactic worked; they also found that they could pull off a disturbing list of other possible tricks, such as using teflon tape to conceal weapons against someone’s spine, installing malware on the scanner’s console that spoofed scans, or simply molding plastic explosives around a person’s body to make it nearly indistinguishable from flesh in the machine’s images.

The only problem is, the TSA are complete racial profilers. You could have a plan that was guaranteed to work but you might still be asked to step aside based upon how you look. It's what they teach them. Looks like they need to update their textbooks. I say lets have a bonfire.

The Rapiscan Secure 1000 machines the researchers tested haven’t actually been used in airports since last year, when they were replaced by millimeter wave scanners designed to better protect passengers’ privacy. But the X-ray scanners are still installed in courthouses, jails, and other government security checkpoints around the country.

However you choose to take that, it's easy to see they each didn't last very long. My guess is they each had their own part to play and all of them got rich doing it.

Even more disturbingly, the researchers found they could easily conceal a 200 gram pancake of putty designed to have the same X-ray deflecting properties as plastic explosives by molding it around a passenger’s torso. The simulated bomb’s detonator, made from a different material, was hidden in the would-be bomber’s belly button.

Until we find a way to stop breeding so much negativity into our society, I fear they can always justify a reason no matter how many times it fails. Humans are to quick to get angry and our revolution will probably take place with the spirit of a drunken bar fight. The more civilized ones who should be leading the groups are too confused if this is the right time to strike or lay and wait until they can't take it anymore. We, as in our elected officials are drawing so much attention from other nations because of their obsession with knowing everybody's business at all times. The government are sellouts to a higher power. One that want to control us through the elimination of our privacy.
edit on 20-8-2014 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Security at airports will never be perfect or without a little invasion of privacy. I do think the body scanners secure too little and invade too much. Thankfully, the actual checkpoint to the secure area of the airport is just one of many layers of airport security.

Here is a clip from one of my favorite South Park episodes on the matter. (Warning - its South Park)

southpark.cc.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Because they Didn't look like boobs.

Peace

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

First S&f for you!!

I am of the opinion that the TSA in and of themselves, at the very least need to have an overhaul of A. Their Employees. B. Their training. They have proven time and time again to be criminals in far more ways than one, thank god for a couple of their whistleblowers who have come forward and given us the real scoop of their SOP's

Aside from that, the absurdity of forcing people to go through these scanners that are more than likely causing far more health risks than currently acknoledged, is the criminality of such legislation in the first place. Freedom and total security is an oxymoron, one in which they have been using orwellian speak to condition the masses into believing that security=freedom.

The slipperly slope we have been going down since the passed the Patriot Act is and always has been alarming, we are collectively being forced to wake up by simply looking at the events around us from a different lens then that of the MSM. We need to discuss many aspect of our culture and what direction we wish to go.

The scanners are an absolute failure as well as a potential serious health hazard. It is time for them to go IMO!

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: captainmjp
Security at airports will never be perfect or without a little invasion of privacy. I do think the body scanners secure too little and invade too much. Thankfully, the actual checkpoint to the secure area of the airport is just one of many layers of airport security.

Here is a clip from one of my favorite South Park episodes on the matter. (Warning - its South Park)

southpark.cc.com...

It's hard to say what the answer is, I just know that whatever is in place is not working very well. It is doing more harm to us overall than for the little time we thought we needed it. What we need to do is stop putting wood on the fire and fanning the flames of hatred that people have towards one another.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Agreed. Fear and Hate are the biggest weapons employed to control the masses and no one is better at it than the US government! These "tools" have been eroding our freedom at an alarming rate since 9/11.

posted on Aug, 20 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
Because they Didn't look like boobs.

Peace

I don't think it's women their after. The trade off for indoctrination is you get to see a pair of boobs every now and then.

top topics

join