It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Bass Players

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Omega85

Thanks for that video. That was pretty cool. Slipnot is one of those bands that is on my list to explore. I love that stuff

Here is what tuna were up to a couple of months ago.

there is a ton of stuff on YouTube. They are a live band so their studio work is hit or miss. For electric, try Americas Choice or hoppkorv.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

'Their bubblegum sound,' eh? That just about says it all.

The prosecution rests, M'lud.

Don't get me wrong. I thought the Beatles were great when I was 10. The songs you picked were from their "psychedelic" phase. That sound originated from the Bay Area where bands like the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane (hot tuna) were the originators. The only reason the Dead and the Airplane didn't have songs recorded like that was because they didn't have 5 billion dollars and endless studio time. And the reason there is no listenable live Beatles music is... The Apple rooftop is good but not really an example of pushing the envelope during a live performance. And their earlier "live" appearances are them pretending to play. The Monkeys were good also.

There is actually a story about how Paul McCartney visited San Francisco and hung out with Jack Casady in 66. They tried jamming but McCartney couldn't play for some reason. The excuse was he couldn't play Jack's right handed guitar. More likely that he couldn't play while peoples faces were melting.
edit on 22-8-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

Complete rubbish.

The main instruments and technical aspects used in psychedelic music i.e. The Sitar, The Tabla, The Mellotron, guitar feedback, reverse tape " raga" tempos etc where pioneered by The Beatles and other British Bands. So where do you get the idea it was invented in what you call the " Bay Area"

Here is the first psychedelic song recorded by The Kinks in 1964., That's a year before The Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane where even formed

In fact Grateful Dead didn't record any material until 1967. Jefferson Airplane where a folk rock group to begin with and there first album released in 1966 was of that genera.
Meanwhile over in England John Lennon was writing what was a true psychedelic song in January 1966. The song was titled " Tomorrow Never Knows"

When it comes to the subject of psychedelic music your " Bay Area " bands where late to the wedding

edit on 22-8-2014 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

Complete rubbish.

The main instruments and technical aspects used in psychedelic music i.e. The Sitar, The Tabla, The Mellotron, guitar feedback, reverse tape " raga" tempos etc where pioneered by The Beatles and other British Bands. So where do you get the idea it was invented in what you call the " Bay Area"

The Bay area around San Francisco in 1964 is when the Acid Tests were taking place. The Dead and their friends were already doing all kinds of crazy stuff musically. They were not officially The Grateful Dead until 65 and didn't even release anything until 67. Granted most of those early recording are unlistenable. There is no doubt the Beatles were influenced by what was going on there at the time.
en.wikipedia.org...'s_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band

McCartney had an idea for a song that eventually formed the impetus of the Sgt. Pepper concept.[15] His idea involved an Edwardian-era military band that Evans invented a name for in the style of contemporary San Francisco-based groups such as Big Brother and the Holding Company and Quicksilver Messenger Service.

And then there is Magical Mystery tour where they dressed up in costumes and road on a psychedelic Bus much like this one:

This was the Prankster Bus headed by Ken Keesey in 1964. The Pranksters were the guys holding the Acid Test Parties which is how the dead formed.
Then there is the rooftop concert that the Airplane did a year before the Beatles did their famous rooftop concert.

Basically the Beatles took what was going on in San Francisco and packaged it up for commercial consumption. I thank them for that because Magical Mystery tour was the first music I ever owned.

Here is the first psychedelic song recorded by The Kinks in 1964., That's a year before The Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane where even formed

Did they actually use that term in 64 for that song? I guess it depends on how you define "psychedelic". To me actual psychedelic music is performed while on psychedelics. I am pretty sure the Dead invented that.

edit on 22-8-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

The Beatles where the greatest innovators in the history of rock music.

Those are not my words, but the words of the great majority of authors who write on the History Of Popular Music.
The Beatles led and others followed.

The Beatles went from this

Through This

To end with this

All achieved in only SEVEN Years.

Their changes of style was nothing less than incredible. Lennon & McCartney the two greatest song writers ever. Nearly 300 songs wrote in just seven years

As for the Kinks, Ray Davies wrote " See My Friends " as a tribute to his sister Irene who died aged 13 in 1964. This song is regarded as the first ever psychedelic song by music historians.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Man...I forgot how annoying it is to listen to people argue about music...why certain acts are the greatest ever and why this musician is better than the other blah blah blah...holy crap.

Music is 100% subjective. No matter how man opinions you absorb or how many reviews you read, it can/will never be an objective matter until every single possible musical arrangement is created, recorded, and reviewed. This is impossible because...well there is literally no limit to musical composition.

I personally think the Beatles are crap. Highly overrated, three chords and a hook crap. But I'm not going to argue why the musicians I fancy are better, because it's a matter of opinion. I'm just not going to listen to the Beatles. Simple. Music isn't about who's better. Music is about connecting with people and making them feel the things you're feeling.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Les Claypool kicks booty!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I'm not denying the Beatles were influential. My point is that they had influences also. Dylan is clearly heard in "hide your love away", their chuck berry covers etc. Their "psychedelic" experimental ideas are a direct result of the stuff going on in the Bay area. yes, the makeshift houseband that was experimenting musically didn't record their feedback and tape loops. Tomorrow Never Knows was inspired by the same thing that influenced members of the Dead a few years earlier. The "extended jam" was well established by 65. We didn't hear that until Abbey Road.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

The songs you picked were from [the Beatles'] "psychedelic" phase. That sound originated from the Bay Area where bands like the Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane (hot tuna) were the originators.

Rewriting musical history now, are we?

Are you aware that the verse of that thing you posted, 'Hit Single #1', is a note-for-note rip-off of this?

Except, of course, that the original is about ten thousand times better.

Anyway, there's no arguing with ears of tin. Have a nice thread!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

I forgot how annoying it is to listen to people argue about music.

He says, before proceeding to do just that.

I personally think the Beatles are crap. Highly overrated, three chords and a hook crap.

Could you please post an example of a three-chord Beatles song?

(Take your time...)

I'm just not going to listen to the Beatles.

Who asked you to?

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
Could you please post an example of a three-chord Beatles song?

Sure can.

Three chords and a hook, which is also three chords. Unless you consider G->G7 a real chord change. Standard stuff.

(Take your time...)

That won't be necessary

Apply liberally to affected area

edit on 8/22/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Try again. Chords of 'I Feel Fine'

(Take your time...)

edit on 22/8/14 by Astyanax because: there's no need to be excessively polite, either.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   

(Take your time...)

Dang, what a doody head I am! The chorus has FOUR chords!

I personally don't hear the passing Am claimed on the oh so accurate tab site (which can't be trusted for even a Green Day song 9 times out of 10), sounds like another C to me. I can't make a distinction through the video, because the only time it shows the change whoever it is in the middle messes up and changes the chord mid strum...he even gives Paul the look like "Heh...I screwed up."

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaosComplex

(Take your time...)

Dang, what a doody head I am! The chorus has FOUR chords!

I personally don't hear the passing Am claimed on the oh so accurate tab site (which can't be trusted for even a Green Day song 9 times out of 10), sounds like another C to me. I can't make a distinction through the video, because the only time it shows the change whoever it is in the middle messes up and changes the chord mid strum...he even gives Paul the look like "Heh...I screwed up."

But I'm not here to argue why I think the Beatles suck. I originally came here to share excellent bassists, but that was ruined.

Good day to you, enjoy your tunes!

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Excuses, excuses.

Though since you apparently think a major chord is the same thing as a dominant seventh chord, I'll excuse you.

edit on 22/8/14 by Astyanax because: oh well

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Excuses, excuses.

Though since you apparently think a major chord is the same thing as a dominant seventh chord, I'll excuse you.

You're right, once you add that min7 on top of the major triad my brain has a hard time processing it.

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Are you aware that the verse of that thing you posted, 'Hit Single #1', is a note-for-note rip-off of this?

Yeah but who ripped off who?

The Steve Miller Band is an American rock band formed in 1966 in San Francisco, California.[1]

Miller decided to record "Jet Airliner" for his band's Book of Dreams album in 1977

America's Choice was the fifth album by the American blues rock band Hot Tuna, recorded in 1974, and released in 1975

They were all kind of incestuous back then. I know I have some Steve Miller jamming with Tuna somewhere. They shared band members too.
ah here you go.

STEVE MILLER BAND
CAROUSEL BALLROOM,
S.F.,CA.,USA
MAY 11,1968

** W/ JORMA KAUKONEN,JACK CASADY,ELVIN BISHOP?,OTHERS?

groups.google.com...#!topic/rec.music.gdead/3pnHpcgL9aM

Douglass admits that "Jungle Love" was the second attempt to recycle the tune's signature guitar part.
"It was used by [my mid-'70s trio] Mistress; I wrote a song called 'Paul' that used the same riff. And I also tried it while I was in Hot Tuna in a co-write with Jorma Kaukonen, but it never really gelled."

www.sandiegoreader.com...#

You get the idea. Even so, I don't hear it.

Rewriting musical history now, are we?

She's So Heavy just seems like its The Beatles version of a style that was done a couple off years prior. Even their hair style. Back on topic, even the heavy bass tone was the hallmark sound coming from the Bay area.

Each San Francisco band had its characteristic sound, but enough commonalities existed that there was a regional identity. By 1967, fresh and adventurous improvisation during live performance (which many heard as being epitomized by the Grateful Dead) was one characteristic of the San Francisco Sound. A louder, more prominent role for the electric bass—typically with a melodic or semi-melodic approach, and using a plush, pervasive tone—was another feature.[6] This questing bass quality has been wryly characterized as a "roving" (rather than the conventional "stay-at-home") style. In jazz it had been exuberantly pioneered by numerous musicians — and such bassists as Charles Mingus, Scott LaFaro, and Steve Swallow had taken it into very exploratory places. A musician who was a leading example of this, Jack Casady of Jefferson Airplane (and the offshoot Hot Tuna) pioneered this playing, best shown on the album Bless Its Pointed Little Head. Phil Lesh, bassist with the Grateful Dead, furthered this sound. Lesh had developed his style on the foundation of having studied classical, brass-band, jazz, and modernist music on the violin and later the trumpet.[7]
en.wikipedia.org...

Would the bass in Shes So Heavy be described like this: "A louder, more prominent role for the electric bass—typically with a melodic or semi-melodic approach, and using a plush, pervasive tone—was another feature"

I think so

If you were watching the Grammy’s last month you might have spotted the Gold Top being played byBrian Ray the bass player in Paul McCartney’s band. Below is a video of Brian joining Paul on an awesome version of “Golden Slumbers.” See if you can spot Jack’s Bass.

www.jackcasady.com...
Paul McCartney's Bass player uses a Jack Casady signature Bass. Guess Jack is passing the torch?

edit on 23-8-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-8-2014 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
For my money, I would go with Stu Hamm. Not well known, but brilliant musician...

edit on 22-8-2014 by madmac5150 because: Crabs gone wild! Film at 11!

He used to tour with Joe Satriani... the best guitarist needs the best bassist, I guess. Saw them live in Pittsburgh many years ago, and I was blown away... Stu has some serious bass chops...
edit on 23-8-2014 by madmac5150 because: Agent J asked for anonimity...

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Jennyfrenzy

Les Claypool kicks booty!

More of that please.

posted on Aug, 23 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

It is really amazing what these guys can do. That was pretty cool.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join