It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoax: 'Viking Ship found in Mississippi', but someone will report this as fact.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I stumbled across this link while waiting for a plane;

worldnewsdailyreport.com...

Memphis| A group of volunteers cleaning up the shores of the Mississippi river near the biggest city in Tennessee, have stumbled upon the remains of an ancient boat encrusted in mud. A team of archeologists from the University of Memphis that was rapidly called to the site, confirmed that the ship is most certainly a Viking knarr, suggesting the Norse would have pushed their exploration of America a lot further than historians previously thought. - See more at: worldnewsdailyreport.com...

I've never posted in this forum, and I found this news quite interesting. Being slightly seasoned with web searching, I decided to check for other references. I came across this;

thornews.com...

This article published yesterday on worldnewsdailyreport.com, a self-described “satirical” website, is shared by tens of thousands on Facebook as “real news”. The article is entertaining and enjoyable reading, and may have happened? There is still very much we do not know about the Vikings and their lives.

Already other websites are discussing this 'discovery', and I can't help but think this is a way fraudulent information is propagated, and how some news becomes fact.

They've just called for my (delayed) flight to board, but I'm curious of the opinions of others regarding how seemingly true yet fraudulent or satire websites become established as facts by some. Earlier in the year on ATS a member was convinced Sharia law had been introduced in an American town (Dearborn?), and until I showed the person it was from a satirical website they were convinced.

So I guess summing up my thought as my queue starts moving is 'research' and cross-reference before you post.
edit on 17-8-2014 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Seeing as Viking settlements on the east coast ot Canada is a fact why wouldn't they be capadle of sailing down the coast into the Gulf of Mexico? I'm not saying they did but I certainly wouldn't deny the possibilty. Is this story true.. judging by the source I'm inclined to say unlikely.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

I weep at people who believe without checking... the site has a very clear disclaimer:

Disclaimer

World News Daily Report is a news and political satire web publication, which may or may not use real names, often in semi-real or mostly fictitious ways. All news articles contained within worldnewsdailyreport.com are fiction, and presumably fake news. Any resemblance to the truth is purely coincidental, except for all references to politicians and/or celebrities, in which case they are based on real people, but still based almost entirely in fiction. - See more at: worldnewsdailyreport.com...

Whilst i weep though, i am sadly unsurprised that so many folk swallowed this.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This is exactly how bs ends up on sites like this... Unfortunetly people will believe what they want to believe regardless of that annoying concept known as truth...

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I really hate when people do that,yes I know the site is supposedly “satirical” but I ain't laughing it's not even Onion funny.

edit on 17-8-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

I am in Memphis-maybe I should go over to the river and see what's up.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Yeps, most of the stories i browsed there contained little wit or humour, just stories to make folk look stupid when they share them.

Ok, the meanie in me is starting to find it a touch amusing.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Yeah someone did post this earlier on ATS yep good old fact news reports.

I suspect in a century or so some fringe of that time will be arguing these were real reports.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune

This will end up as our modern version of the old "Smithsonian covered up Egyptian Artifacts in the Grand Canyon " meme.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Yeah a number of joke letters and pranks will enter into lexicon of fringe.

It would be interesting to see someone data mining, two centuries from now, the threads in ATS.

They will think we were all completely mad.

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I think NOW people on here are completely mad.

And its funny how fake news sites/propaganda sites use names that sound trustworthy.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

This will end up as our modern version of the old "Smithsonian covered up Egyptian Artifacts in the Grand Canyon " meme.

All you need to do is add your name as lead Smithsonian scientist and post it around the web and you can go down in future history as someone reprints the story on ATS 50 years from now.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ridhya
I think NOW people on here are completely mad.

And its funny how fake news sites/propaganda sites use names that sound trustworthy.

It does make it confusing at times, on a few occasions I've gotten emails from staid colleagues with a link asking me what the heck it was about usually they have been nonsense stories like the one above. I remember years ago an Omni magazine article about a burrowing ice worm.....with a heated nose.

posted on Aug, 18 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED

originally posted by: peter vlar

All you need to do is add your name as lead Smithsonian scientist and post it around the web and you can go down in future history as someone reprints the story on ATS 50 years from now.

I do pity the historians who will try to sort out all this drivel and make sense of it once all the people who understood it have died away (and it has been replaced by another layer of even better drivel, which we can call dribble)
edit on 18/8/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join