It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lots of German wild boars still radioactive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Lots of German wild boars still radioactive

28 years after the disaster at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant many German wild boars are still too radioactive.

Their meat is not suitable for human consumption and must be destroyed. Research conducted of 586 shot wild boars in the state Thuringia proved that, as reported by the newspaper Leipziger Volkszeitung.

Root systems and Mushrooms

The problem concerns mainly wild boar living in forests. They are tossing in the ground and then they eat root systems of mushrooms. In it is radioactive cesium stored that was blown from the nuclear disaster in 1986 from Ukraine to Central Europe. Nearly 10% of the wild boars in Thuringia are because of that too radioactive too eat. Hunters are compensated for the destroyed meat.

According to the law, the limit is 600 becquerels per kilogram of meat. 1 becquerels equals 1 disintegrating nucleus per second. The problem will not be resolved quickly. The cesium isotope which causes the radioactivity in the forests of Thuringia, has a half life of 30 years. This means that after three decades, 50 percent of the remaining radioactive cesium has been broken down by the disintegration of the atoms.

www.rtlnieuws.nl...

If I was living in US/Canada I would not eat wild boars either after Fukushima.

edit on 16-8-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

How close is Germany to Chernobyl?

Do boars migrate?

Solution is to kill them and burn them.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

To travel from the Ukraine to Germany, is roughly 1,749km. That is roughly how far the radioactive material which fell on Germany after the nuclear incident 28 years ago, had to travel before falling, in order to be deposited there.

For radioactive matter to wind up in the USA, from Fukushima, it will have to travel more than 8,617km. Interestingly, it is 7,439.5 km between Chernobyl and New York. Either way, the United States are actually pretty well protected, simply by way of being so damned far from the incident sites of both nuclear disasters, that radioactive material is likely to have fallen as rain, before reaching land there.
edit on 16-8-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added detail.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn

How close is Germany to Chernobyl?

Do boars migrate?

Solution is to kill them and burn them.

It doesn`t matter, they accumulate the stuff (they don`t die from it), same as with tuna, also something I wont eat ever again.
edit on 16-8-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

To travel from the Ukraine to Germany, is roughly 1,749km. That is roughly how far the radioactive material which fell on Germany after the nuclear incident 28 years ago, had to travel before falling, in order to be deposited there.

For radioactive matter to wind up in the USA, it will have to travel more than 8,617km. Interestingly, it is 7,439.5 km between Chernobyl and New York. Either way, the United States are actually pretty well protected, simply by way of being so damned far from the incident sites of both nuclear disasters, that radioactive material is likely to have fallen as rain, before reaching land there.

US eats coast got also fall out from Chernobyl.

There were still about 100 farms closed in England 25 years after Chernobyl because of it, it was the rain which dropped lots of stuff locally.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Are the wild mushrooms also inedible there? If they and the boars are inedible in Germany, perhaps also in France, Italy and the UK.

If so this should be public knowledge, not that there are many wild boar in the UK anymore, they are mostly farmed but in rural Germany, France and Italy these are staples for many.

I have eaten wild boar pâté from France occasionally during the last 20 years, also wild mushrooms and truffles.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

Are the wild mushrooms also inedible there? If they and the boars are inedible in Germany, perhaps also in France, Italy and the UK.

If so this should be public knowledge, not that there are many wild boar in the UK anymore, they are mostly farmed but in rural Germany, France and Italy these are staples for many.

I have eaten wild boar pâté from France occasionally during the last 20 years, also wild mushrooms and truffles.

In Chernobyl they discovered mushrooms were taking in the radioactive fall out and by so cleaning the soil.

But problem with boar and tuna is they accumulate (there`s way more in them as being on the ground), so they are far more dangerous than just some mushrooms/truffels.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   

There are wild boar products being consumed from France and Italy, how do we know these are safe unless farmed and fed on farmed ingredients.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

There are wild boar products being consumed from France and Italy, how do we know these are safe unless farmed and fed on farmed ingredients.

Only if you have farmed them yourself or someone you know, I`m staying clear of them, just like with Japanese seafood products (they have raised the "safe" limits considerably after Fukushima).

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

We eat at YoSushi sometimes, it lists its ingredients and some information on suppliers but even companies that do, it is often a minefield, barn raised chicken, G.A.P Thai prawn often use unethical practice, pacific tuna, there are so many food risks out there, it is often best to buy locally sourced ingredients that are traceable and safe.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Luckily my favorite fish (soused herring) is also caught not far from the Netherlands, and the rest I eat is mostly from the Netherlands too.

posted on Aug, 16 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I craved herring when I was pregnant, specifically the sort sold in Ikea in small jars, I would drive 35 miles every weekend to Ikea to buy some. Those and freshly squeezed (within the hour) orange juice.

I used to eat that sort of herring as a child but couldn't cook when pregnant as I couldn't stand the smell of food.

top topics

join