It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands Rally Across US In Solidarity With Ferguson

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Thousands rally across US in solidarity with Ferguson - New York Post

This almost brings a happy tear to mine eye:

Thousands of people across the country on Thursday attended protest vigils for an unarmed black Missouri teenager fatally shot by a white police officer and other victims who organizers say died as a result of police brutality.

The vigils, observed in more than 90 cities as part of a National Moment of Silence, came days after the shooting death of 18-year-old Michael Brown and the death of a New York man caused by a police officer’s chokehold.

In downtown St. Louis, in a tiny park near the Gateway Arch, several hundred people, seemingly an equal number whites and blacks, gathered in Brown’s memory.

The site is a short drive from suburban Ferguson, where Brown was killed, stoking racial unrest.

Wait. This is not "racial unrest". This is civil unrest. They won't stop trying to make it about race when everyone knows it's beyond that now. But anyway.

In New York, about 1,000 people peacefully marched in Manhattan’s Union Square, at times invoking the rallying cries “hands up, don’tt shoot” and “I can’t breathe,” alluding to the death of 43-year-old Eric Garner, who was arrested on suspicion of selling loose, untaxed cigarettes and was placed in an officer’s chokehold.

More on the New York story (I used RT to note their... conspicuous "take" on things):

NYPD threatens mass arrests at Ferguson solidarity rally - RT

I'm thrilled that more people finally seem to be taking notice of what's happening and expressing their utter disgust for it. Will it translate into more tangible resistance? One can only hope.

Anything related to this happen in your town today?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther

Will it translate into more tangible resistance? One can only hope.

When it comes to Russians or Chinese ... they step in front of tanks, and sacrifice their lives. When it comes to Americans, they take some poor African American, and sacrifice him ... for their lives.

You think, a few people on the streets is going to change the entire social structure. If you do, your delusional ... this will end up, like all other protests in the US. The cops come, take the leaders one by one, dragging them by their hair ... and the rest go home, watch their TV, and wait for some senator to come on TV and tell them "it's all ok".

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
This is civil unrest. . .

Why is seeing everyone with their hands up pissing me off?! I'm not feeling land of the free.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

You think, a few people on the streets is going to change the entire social structure. If you do, your delusional ... this will end up, like all other protests in the US. The cops come, take the leaders one by one, dragging them by their hair ... and the rest go home, watch their TV, and wait for some senator to come on TV and tell them "it's all ok".

I agree.

So much for being optimistic about things, I guess.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish

Why is seeing everyone with their hands up pissing me off?!

Do you know anything about the story? They're mocking the police.

Granted, it's just mocking. A step in the right direction, nonetheless.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   

I don't think it is. I think a step in the right direction is recognizing police as human.

I think police need to see that protestors are human too.

I'm hoping we take a big step, it may not happen, but I'm hoping. If the police and protestors can walk hand in hand, it's a big deal.

I really see some beauty in all this.

I think this may be a turning point, but not a violent one. I hope to see people from all walks of life joining in solidarity. Remember people sang in trenches on both sides.
edit on 1520140820141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

I'm hoping we take a big step, it may not happen, but I'm hoping. If the police and protestors can walk hand in hand, it's a big deal.

I think this may be a turning point, but not a violent one. I hope to see people from all walks of life joining in solidarity. Remember people sang in trenches on both sides.

I hope too, but...

...campfires and kumbaya?

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to love these guys.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Look at this point nobody knows what happened between that Officer and Mr. Brown, not you, not me, not the ass hats on TV, Heck not even the President of the United States know what events lead to the office firing his weapon.

Eye witness testimony for the two witness differs on certain issues. And we have reports from the Police department that the officer involved was hit during or prior to the shooting. At this point we have no FACTS and everyone is running on emotion.

Until such time as an investigation is completed everyone need to remain calm and let the fact come out and let the investigation run its course. No amount of demands by the public or stupid statements from politicians will speed up this process.

BUT as for the Rioting and Violence that is currently spinning out of control in Ferguson, it must END.

Forces from outside of this community are now attempting to hijack this protest and turn it violent.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

I don't think it is. I think a step in the right direction is recognizing police as human.

I think police need to see that protestors are human too.

you have a very good point and that would definitely be a step in the right direction

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: JBRiddle
Look at this point nobody knows what happened between that Officer and Mr. Brown, not you, not me, not the ass hats on TV, Heck not even the President of the United States know what events lead to the office firing his weapon.

2 things here..
1 stop watching tv trust me..
2:

Eye witness testimony for the two witness differs on certain issues. And we have reports from the Police department that the officer involved was hit during or prior to the shooting. At this point we have no FACTS and everyone is running on emotion.

See above.

Until such time as an investigation is completed everyone need to remain calm and let the fact come out and let the investigation run its course. No amount of demands by the public or stupid statements from politicians will speed up this process.

We have learned nothing from past "honest" investigations? 9/11, Pat Tillman?

BUT as for the Rioting and Violence that is currently spinning out of control in Ferguson, it must END.

I do not agree, The heat on these type of behavior needs to be brought to light because tomorrow it might be you or me or your mother..
At some point the public needs to be involved here.

Forces from outside of this community are now attempting to hijack this protest and turn it violent.

I do agree with you.. It has been proven time and time again that the police are usually the ones to dress as protesters to start sh1t..

Look at g20 pgh and canada for info on that.. Pgh(Pittsburgh)
edit on 8/15/2014 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/15/2014 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   
black, white, brown, yellow, red, or perrywinkle
we all need to rise up when police brutality happens across the u.s..
peaceful protests in every city and town.
just make sure you bring your cell phone and/or recording devices.
spread the word.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Through military occupation and suppression of the press?

I can see we still have a long way to go.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
This Dorian Johnson kid, the 'victims' friend...

Shouldn't he be off in a police facility being questioned over this supposed shooting, rather than talking to hack news networks, surrounded by his friends?

No police force on the planet would let a witness to a shooting go, at least not after hours and hours of questioning.

This doesn't add up.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Unrealised

You know what else doesn't hold up?
When the police learn of a police shooting by the news and not the cop.. Just saying..

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThichHeaded
a reply to: Unrealised

You know what else doesn't hold up?
When the police learn of a police shooting by the news and not the cop.. Just saying..

Yes, so what is happening here?

A young man who should be in custody being questioned?

A police force who knows nothing of a supposed shooting?

If this were a nice little exercise with all of these poor people paid nicely for their time, this would be the perfect way to measure public reactions to a heightening police/military occupation-program.

But yeah, you never know.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

You think, a few people on the streets is going to change the entire social structure. If you do, your delusional

It's the only thing that has ever proven to be an effective method of getting an elective government to listen to it's people.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Why aren't there rallies like this when hundreds of people die every day due to gang and/or criminal activity?

Not saying that these rallies are wrong or bad, but I can imagine the parents of slain children who don't even get a mention in the paper or news saying, "MY child wasn't important enough for a rally???"

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

You honestly think people don't try to do anything about that? You think communities stricken with gangs don't organize and choose leaders to go to city councils and meet with police? The establishment doesn't want to do anything about gangs, as long as they stay in ghettos it serves them, justifies excessive authority which in turn is not used to go into to gang areas and sweep them out but against the rest of the public.

Even if what you said is true, people shouldn't protest police brutality because they don't protest anything else? I don't get you at all... you say you're for smaller government yet you consistently kneel to authority... you're a "Libertarian" but have no issue with a cop gunning down a person for just walking down the street? How much more of a violation on Liberty do you need?

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I have these stupid stubby arms.

For now I'm glad that at least one person gets what I mean.

posted on Aug, 15 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Where did I say even ONCE that I supported police shooting down unarmed people?

Find it, source it, or apologise!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join