It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Army Deserter Wants To Stay In Canada

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Jeremy Hinzman, 25, decided to come to Canada in January to seek sanctuary in a Quaker hall outside of Toronto rather than serve in Iraq. Mr. Hinzman believes the war in Iraq is immoral and illegal. Mr. Hinzman�s refugee status will be decided Monday in Toronto when he meets with Canada�s Immigration and Refugee Board.

www.cbc.ca
U.S. Army Deserter Wants To Stay In Canada
Last Updated Sat, 04 Dec 2004 19:27:10 EST
TORONTO - Canada's Immigration and Refugee Board will hear Monday why Jeremy Hinzman, a former paratrooper with the U.S. army, should be granted refugee status in Canada.

Jeremy Hinzman

Rather than serve in Iraq, Hinzman deserted the army and came to Canada in January seeking sanctuary in a Quaker hall outside Toronto.
Canada has not granted refugee status to American citizens in the past, but Hinzman's supporters are counting on a precedent in international law to help the American. Gerry Cordon, a Hinzman supporter, says a soldier who refused to fight in Saddam Hussein's army in the invasion of Kuwait, successfully sought refugee status.
To help his client, Hinzman's lawyer plans to present evidence of a systematic pattern of U.S. war crimes in Iraq, including attacks on civilian population centers, and the torture and murder of prisoners, at Monday's hearing.
Link

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well the way I see it is he took his civilian clothing and exchanged them for a Military uniform and in doing so he also put his political opinions on hold until he finished his service to the American Military and should not be granted refugee states in Canada.

Related News Links:
www.notinourname.net
www.antiwar.com
www.sundayherald.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 4-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Well i can understand his reasoning but the fact is he took an Oath, an Oath to his Country and to his Comrades. If he objected to the fighting he could have applied for another position, taken training as a Medic for instance. Instead of taking a life he could have saved a few. Serving your Country isn't something you can take lightly, he knew the risks when he signed on the dotted line and made a commitment to serve, you cant change your mind on that when there are people dying in a War, regardless of how much you disagree with it.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
The kindest man I ever met was a medic at Brooke Army General Hospital at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX. One morning I looked up at the television to see him being interviewed. I learned that he had served in Vietnam as a medic and because he was a conscientious objector, he never carried a weapon.

For his service, he was arwarded the Distinquished Service Cross, two Silver Stars and a Bronze Star. I can't remember his name, but I will always remember the man.

While I was undergoing scrub treatments, I was at the mercy of those who were outright sadists and some who were just emotionally detached from the horror of their jobs. This man distinguished himself in my eyes because of his compassion.

He never shrank from his duties, but the pain was somehow diminshed by his kind and gentle manner. I hope that life has been good to him. He really deserves it.

To me, he is the hallmark of a conscietious objector, not these slimeballs who ditch their nation for their own well-being.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
He ditched the imperialististists, the cooperations and the bush government. Well done, we need more like him. If we had more men like this, there would never be any war. Because leaders of nations will have no ammuntion to fight for their lame ideology's.

Sept 11 was government sponsered action. I can't believe the good american men in iraq don't realize this.

It sickness me, that government lies and then good men die for nothing!.

God must be proud of him. I would of liked to see the jewish governments try to get jesus to serve in the army.

"Who lives by the gun will die by the gun."

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
I understand all points of view regarding this situation. On the one hand I can't say I blame the guy for leaving, on the other he did take an oath to serve in the military and he should have thought about that before joining. Im not in the guy's situation so I can't say what I would have done, but I think he should have stayed and finished his tour, or at least asked to be reasigned.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
He's a freak'n PARATROOPER? Jeez Louis! The Army spent a LOT of money training that guy! What a loser!

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thinker
He ditched the imperialististists, the cooperations and the bush government. Well done, we need more like him.

I wish every person in America like him would leave, too. Only before he has sworn an oath and the government (read: you and I) has spent a fortune training the weasel. A man is only as good as his word and this man's word is meaningless. Let Canada keep him, but if he ever sets foot in the US again, his fate should be death.

[edit on 04/12/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I wish every person in America like him would leave, too. Only before he has sworn an oath and the government (read: you and I) has spent a fortune training the weasel. A man is only as good as his word and this man's word is meaningless. Let Canada keep him, but if he ever sets foot in the US again, his fate should be death.

Well barring the death thing, the temerature in hell reads as -30 F. Yup, Grady and I agree on something. He has an obligation that should be adhered to. When you choose to serve, you can't just take the opportunities and not live up to your obligations.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Admittedly I know nothing of American Military Law someone correct me, but isn�t desertion in the time of war punishable by death? Which intern means Canada would or could grant him refugee status?

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Leave him there.

Having to live in canada is punishment enough. I would rather face the military prisons here than suffer under their disturbing government and decrepid military. He has increased the IQ of both countries in running away.

Its punishment enough that the snivelling coward has fled his country in time of trouble. If he was brought back here he would only demoralize the troops.

Probably high on drugs and suffering from gender confusion issues as well. the canadians can have him, he may fit in better there...

[edit on 4-12-2004 by GeneralDilemma]

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Deseration laws in reality is used in armys in order to keep soilders inline with policy.

You fight for me or i will kill you.

I can't believe you guys you depise this guy. Have you looked into sept11? have you not seen the true agenda?

[edit on 5-12-2004 by Thinker]

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
Admittedly I know nothing of American Military Law someone correct me, but isn�t desertion in the time of war punishable by death?

Yes! Although, that wouldn't happen. Most likely will be sent to the brig for a few years, then give him 'Dishonorable Disharge".

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeneralDilemma
Leave him there.

Having to live in canada is punishment enough. I would rather face the military prisons here than suffer under their disturbing government and decrepid military. He has increased the IQ of both countries in running away.

Its punishment enough that the snivelling coward has fled his country in time of trouble. If he was brought back here he would only demoralize the troops.

Probably high on drugs and suffering from gender confusion issues as well. the canadians can have him, he may fit in better there...

[edit on 4-12-2004 by GeneralDilemma]

You better hope this doesn't get moved to a forum where I'll be able to deal with this in the appropriate manner. I will not denegrate the news forum with the filth you just spewed here.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
That would be a really great new law!!! When can we pass it...then we put all of congress and even better Mr. Bush on Death Row. I havent heard one Oath that they havent broke. ...And your right a man is only as good as his word...cool quote...

Mr. Bush would get at least 2 Death Sentences(one for every Term) ... cant wait till Mr. Bush gets it for his warcrimes he has committed.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I don't know Canadian laws, but if he happens to marry a Canadian, does that automatically give him citizenship? I'm not certain how/if that would affect his deserter status.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I don't know Canadian laws, but if he happens to marry a Canadian, does that automatically give him citizenship? I'm not certain how/if that would affect his deserter status.

Marrying a Canadian would make citizenship easier, but it would not negate his crime or his being deported for that crime, if the courts rule against him.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:08 AM
link   
GeneralDilemma you sir are ignorant nuff said

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:21 AM
link   
In the picture it looks like he has a wedding ring on?..... His wife must be proud of him....NOT.. lol This guy is a worthless piece of $h*^..... If he does marry a Canadian, he will probably back out of that later on also ..... he is not oath worthy lol ...... If he is married at this moment his wife should leave him.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:32 AM
link   
What, exactly, was the oath that he took? Does anyone have the exact wording of that oath that they can post here?

When did he enlist? Was it before the warmongers in the White House and on Capital Hill (no, that's not a misspelling) lied to Congress and the nation in order to get us into the present mess in the Middle East? Yeah, yeah. Some of you say we're there. Doesn't matter how we got there. We're there. So, for that idiotic reason alone, we have to "finish" it. What utter bulk# you spew about by saying that. GIGO

Why is a violation of oath by a footsoldier considered more heinous than that committed by those who are (mis) leading this nation? You forgive the latter so easily. Blame and bring justive to the leaders who commit malfeasance in office before you entertain a negative thought or utter a derogatory word about the footsoldier. Or at least do or say something to bring those leaders to account for their unlawful and evil words and deeds.

For God's sake, many of you complained more loudly about Bill Clinton's sexcapades in the oval office. Now people are being killed. For a lie.

Personally, I hope Canada grants this young man asylum.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by dubiousone
What, exactly, was the oath that he took? Does anyone have the exact wording of that oath that they can post here?

When did he enlist? Was it before the warmongers in the White House and on Capital Hill (no, that's not a misspelling) lied to Congress and the nation in order to get us into the present mess in the Middle East? Yeah, yeah. Some of you say we're there. Doesn't matter how we got there. We're there. So, for that idiotic reason alone, we have to "finish" it. What utter bulk# you spew about by saying that. GIGO

Why is a violation of oath by a footsoldier considered more heinous than that committed by those who are (mis) leading this nation? You forgive the latter so easily. Blame and bring justive to the leaders who commit malfeasance in office before you entertain a negative thought or utter a derogatory word about the footsoldier. Or at least do or say something to bring those leaders to account for their unlawful and evil words and deeds.

For God's sake, many of you complained more loudly about Bill Clinton's sexcapades in the oval office. Now people are being killed. For a lie.

Personally, I hope Canada grants this young man asylum.

YA I dont think his enrollment swearing in had something to do with, lets go rape and plunder as country but if you dont like it you still have to stay..

this war is bs, we all know it just likle the last 2 elections... If that guy wants to stay in Canada let him, Hell if it was me I would go also.. I do not agree wit this war havent agreed with it and when they plain out stated everything that we went over there for was based on lies. How the hell can you people sit there and call this guy a Deserter????

He hasnt deserted anything, Last I checked Iraq had no WMD, Iraq did no help Bin Laden, Iraq didnt help with 9/11 and Iraq didnt attack the US for us to goto war with them...

SO???? This guy is a deserter for what now????

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join