It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robin Williams Suicide murdered the media obsession with ISIL

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I observed yesterday an interesting thing.

I was all ready at 7 to watch the 3 cable main networks, MSNBC, FOX, AND CNN. Deal with the burning ISIL issue

They all had geared up to do major stories on ISIL and had the quests ready to go.
Then the unfortunate death of a great entertainer, one of the greatest imo, Robin Williams was announced and immediately the networks threw all those Christian kids and Yezidis on that mountain under the media bus for a higher rating, but of little humanitarian value, story!

I will actually give grudging credit to Bill O’Reilly, a guy I usually despise, who although dealt with the Robin Williams death, he nevertheless still took ample time to cover the ISIL story.

MSNBC also didn’t just stop the world and only cover the death of Williams, who to me is a great guy, but his life in comparison to the ISIL story means little.

The real Whore in this analysis was CNN. Once the Williams story was out they went whole hog for those ratings and in-fact practically all of the news shows only reported on this

Even today on the web it seems the wind has been knocked out of the ISIL story.

Of course I'm not suggesting any sinister plot behind this, that would be ridiculous, the idea that they manage news...( sarcasm)
edit on 12-8-2014 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

Of course I'm not suggesting any sinister plot behind this, that would be ridiculous, the idea that they manage news...( sarcasm)

Some good mileage to be had on Williams offing himself.

Makes me want to puke.
edit on -05:0042148202014-08-12T11:20:42-05:00 by Psynic because: quote reduction

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
So what? It's called the news cycle. It's just how it works. The news could spend months reporting on the problems in Africa if it wanted to or on the Cartels south of our border yet they've been focusing on ISIL. Well now its the dead comedian's turn. In a week or so, it will be some other story.

Also like I just alluded to. ISIS isn't the only thing going on in the world. The news just picks and chooses what will get the most ratings TODAY then reports on it. Tomorrow they make that same decision all over again. That doesn't mean that those stories are the most important ones for the viewers to learn about though (frankly why the media is silent on the growing threat of the cartel's is beyond me but I have some suspicions). If you don't like it, start your own news company.
edit on 12-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Oh here we go didnt think it would be long for somebody to put the ats stink on what is just a simple, sad tragedy
conspiracy theorey number 100000
robin williams was murdered and ukraine/ iraq/ syria is simply a cover up to distract us.
right?
just like the `evil zionists rule the world`

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I wouldn't worry too much, I'm sure ISIL is still raping, murdering, beheading and pillaging etc...

So on and so forth

edit on 12-8-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

It’s a site to behold how the media like gouls go from one story to another particularly if it may have some prurient value: sex, drugs, rock n roll

I was ready to hear some good news about the kids on that mountain and then the whore in these news outlets took over.

But I shouldn’t say this, indeed I will never ever lower a whore to the level of these people.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: dinogirl

Your wrong, the op is not about a conspiracy its about the media

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I think it is a result of generations of people having had an experience of Robin Williams that was positive and uplifting in some way being impacted and shocked by his passing. The news will adjust to that phenomenon. I think these things are temporary. I will bet that the news will pivot back to those things more globally significant in the days to follow.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Very cynical view

I don’t like it or dislike it one way or another…its entertainment.

I make an observation

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

The world is a cynical place.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

If I was one of the six people in the world who owned a portion of the MSM, when something like a celebrity suicide happens I'd instruct my drones to acknowledge the tragedy and announce a suitable response would be forthcoming at an appropriate time in the immediate future.

The waiting period would separate those in mourning from the simply morbid.

When the initial excitement has relaxed the loss can truly considered for what it is.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I think the world is more than cynical

Your post seems to resent the objective observation; I don’t mean the whore remarks

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

If there was a choice allowed. I can see the networks choosing to
report a real story and for get the fake ass propaganda. Even if
everyone does buy it.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

But then your ratings might suffer

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
So some find it alright that the reporting of an existing genocide should be shoved aside for an intense scrutiny of a dead entertainer

I will say that’s typical of the US media and culture

no problem it is what it is

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

But then your ratings might suffer

That's true, we must satisfy the public's craving.

"If you're not first, you're last" -Ricky Bobby

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

The world is a cynical place.

If that don't beat everything?

Index to eye and points at Krazyshot.

edit on Ram81214v442014u28 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dinogirl
I am just wondering why you joined if you call member's posts 'ATS stink'. The op has a valid point which is about the media spin and their view on what viewers want to watch or think is most important. While it is very sad that Robin is gone, another great celeb with demons, what is their reasoning to drop everything going on in this world to cover his untimely death? MJ was much more covered though and I think the most covered celeb of all time and nothing else mattered but his 'premature' death caused by his own obsession to find rest at any cost and even bumped Farrah Fawcett's early death from cancer to cover MJ.

edit on 8/12/2014 by whatnext21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: whatnext21
Well, it wasn't to actually read the OP, that's for sure.

I have pretty much given up on the MSM. You can't count on them for the truth, to actually delve into a story, or to follow up on one.

Just another version of TMZ or ET. And you can't completely fault them, the public seems to want it that way.

Yet another reason I come here.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Someone did mention I was trying to conspiritize Williams' death.

The idea that some sinister force on seeing the obsession wagon take off about the genocides might want to stop that train with a quick suicide of a well loved entertainer to produce a greater obsession inducing story is shocking.

Is there any story that the media wouldn’t interrupt for a dead entertainer?

Maybe the Apocalypse

Death of a president

The Super Bowl

A sex scandal

What story would have just made the Williams story go away and do a few lines about it and let’s get back to some other more vital obsession?

If genocide ins't enough then what is

Maybe our genocide?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join