It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone recommend a good sturdy diesel generator?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Iv been searching but really dont know what iam looking at like HZ, Phase? I dont get what they are! Iv never used a generator. Alls I know is I need a small portable easy to use/run/maintain red diesel powered generator that will last a good few years as a back up for my solar panels, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance...

The Freeman

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Try GSA auctions, they usually have used government generators there you can bid on. I acquired a few things through GSA. UPS does sometimes do pickup and packing for a price on bigger things like that. I inquired and it is reasonable as long as the price of what you are buying justifies it.

Some of those older government generators were made to last forever.
edit on 8-8-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Get a Honda.

They're not diesels, but they are red.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixFreeman

You first need to determine how much power you need it to supply.
What and how many items: Refrigerator(s), heater(s), etc.
Then you can find one that has that level of power to fit your needs, not peak power though.
Also some can be hard wired into existing electrical system. Probably after the inverter around electrical panel, are you connected to the grid?
What I'm getting at is a portable one may not be sufficient enough, unless you have several.
I personally am looking at a propane unit, for if something happens I am not going to dig-in for an extended period of time. I will dress up similar to Mad Max, adorn myself with various weapons, spray paint my audi flat black and head out into the world in a very "Beyond Thunderdome" type fashion!

edit on 8/8/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
You need to figure out what kind of power requirements you need first. Low power generators usually are not diesel. propane is a good option though. If this is for survival you don't want to try to use year old gasoline.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Try GSA auctions, they usually have used government generators there you can bid on. I acquired a few things through GSA. UPS does sometimes do pickup and packing for a price on bigger things like that. I inquired and it is reasonable as long as the price of what you are buying justifies it.

yes. Some of them are made to lat almost forever. And made to be repaired easily using rudimentary tools.

Once you go down this route look into all fuel generators. You can put anything in them. Grease, used motor oils, used deisel oil, etc...and they have no gaskets and seals to wear out on you.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I agree with Psynic when it comes to petrol generators go red, you cannot beat a Honda, the Repco powertek are not to bad as well for the price point. Do be careful when it comes to purchasing some Chinese generators, especially the diesels, which I have had bad experiences with.

If you want a good diesel, go Lister, and yes the diesels are loud compared to petrol ones, the best diesels are 1500 /1800 RPM which is good, many of the cheap Chinese diesels run at 3000 /3600 RPM and are generally lighter, hence some of the problems.

If you want to use your generator to boost batteries, go for a 12 Volt or 24 Volt generator head, hook it up to a 1500 rpm small diesel which is rather efficient. If you want 240 Volts than get an AC power head on a diesel generator and use a suitable battery charger to boost your batteries, this way you can use the 240V to run other items as well. If you intend to live off the grid you will possibly go through a few generators, to discover the above.

Which ever generator setup you decide on, make sure it has an oil cut off system inbuilt.
edit on 8-8-2014 by marsend because: typos

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: manna2

originally posted by: rickymouse

You can put anything in them. Grease, used motor oils, used deisel oil, etc...and they have no gaskets and seals to wear out on you.

I'd love to have a motor that ran on "used deisel (sic) oil".

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Id suggest a gas powered generator if you live in a cold region but anything with a diesel I would suggest anything with a cat, kubota, or onan motor in it. Gasoline generators wont gel up in cold temperatures and also start easier in the cold.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I had considered adding a diesel generator to my emergency back up system because diesel can be stored longer then petrol fuel. I did get a Honda 3000i and a small Earthquake 800 watt 4 stroke. I have two separate battery banks, and two separate inverters. My chest freezer runs on its own stand alone system. The small 800 watt inverter gen will power two battery tender/chargers, and run up to 14 hours on a gallon of fuel. I have 45 gallons of preserved premium fuel on hand at all times. I will be adding a couple 250 watt solar panels to the system in the future.

That said, there is something else I have been thinking about. What happens when the 45 gallons of fuel is gone and the store are all closed? No more power. What fuel do I have still? A whole bunch of fire wood or coal?
How about a steam generator that runs on cord wood and coal, and runs an alternator? Steal engines can put out a lot of power. If you have an electric motorcycle, you could charge it off the steam generator, and keep the power on in your house for a very long time! Run the generator during the day, and run off the battery bank at night.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Colemans army surplus may have just what you need. a reply to: PhoenixFreeman
they have several different gennys used by the military, as well as small diesel engines.www.colemans.com/

edit on 8-8-2014 by chopperswolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic
Get a Honda.

They're not diesels, but they are red.

Lol no: red diesel not the colour red, its cheap diesel i can get gallons of it for pennys haha

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Ok will check that thanks rickymouse

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

Currently on the grid will be off when needing generator, its gunna be backup for when i get my solar panels im guna be in rv or barge on canal but will hopefully for now av a plot ov land also to settle at only when i need to get off as you say when shtf lol not that it matters but are you the woman in the pic its just iam trying to imagine you in mad max attire is all haha...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: manna2

All fuel you say? great stuff im on that! Thank you.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Obviously, I will be a female version of Mad Max.
I'll post pictures when it happens!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: chopperswolf

Thanks all!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnteBellum

Obviously, I will be a female version of Mad Max.
I'll post pictures when it happens!

If the nets not down lol

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Look, a perfect place for a SHTF home on GSA auctions. An old lighthouse, current bid twenty five grand. It probably already has a generator.
gsaauctions.gov...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

What a cool place to live! Forget shtf, I would love to restore a lighthouse and it's so cheap. I wonder how badly the condition is. . .

As for shtf this is more my speed: Today Money
With 2-3 families making one investment in it, it could be a very easily achievable goal.
edit on 8/8/2014 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join