It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Dragons Life

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Ok, we'll try to wrap this AAPG meeting up quickly so we can adjourn to the bar across the street and discuss business...

Oops, sorry, wrong one...

Well, I am 36, and was born in south east Texas. After a very unremarkable childhood as a juvenile delinquent, I decided to actually try to do something other than spend the next night in jail.

So I went to college. After muddling around for a year, not knowing what the hell I really wanted to do with my life, and realizing very quickly that I was flunking out of the School of Engineering, I kinda fell into the Geosciences Department. (I have noticed that those who end up as geologists almost without fail NEVER set out to be a geologists... We are a very select group made up of refugees from other disciplines, mainly engineering and biology.)

I did like the geosciences field though. We got to spend almost as much time in the field as in the classroom, and I have always loved the outdoors. There were other reasons too: Geology was the one science with the least amount of math (dont go getting bright ideas though, geophysics and structural geology, just to name a few, can be mind manglers.) The professors, on the whole seemed to be a lot more down to earth, without all the office politics that I found to pervade the rest of the university. For that matter, I liked the idea of working with rocks simply because rocks dont argue with you, dont insult you, and dont play politics or mind games. (Please understand, I was a nieve and stupid college kid when I was making these assumptions, and didnt stop to consider that the companies invovled with the rocks would be VERY full of politics).

Also, the fact that we had a weekly beer bash for the geo dept didnt hurt my interest in the least!

After college, I had the delusion that I would bounce right into a petroleum geologist position (with a fresh Bachelors, yeah) and make millions. Thats when reality set in, and I learned that they may talk to me with a Masters for an entry level position, and only if I was interested in going to Cairo.

So I bounced around a bit, seeing what I could do. I have spent a bit of time doing some seismic reflection surveys (hey, get to play with explosives, that was fun!) some mud logging, a little offshore work, some geological resource surveys. Then I spent a couple years doing geotechnical work, before getting sucked into the world of environmental geology consulting.

I did learn a lot in consulting, and made some decent money... and learned also that in the consulting world you have no friends, and everyone is expendable. All I can say is layoffs are a b*tch.

Then I blundered into a government position doing environmental geology. In my situation, I was blessed with being able to inherit practically an entire department and tailor it to taking care of all the myriad environmental nightmares that can arise in a good sized population center.

Above and beyond that, I love the outdoors, travelling, hunting, animals, BBQing, shooting, history, various conspiracy theory, and of course the opposite sex

As per my profile, I am a general pain in the a$$ (well, have to be good at something, dont I?)

Ummm, William, you dont have to comment on that remark

If you have any questions, please ask.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Ahhh, that explains your spelunkers tag

Sounds like you have ended up in a nice place,

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Spelunking was actually pretty damn fun, although I havent done it in years. As for the rest of the tag, well... this is a family chat!

Yes, I have no complaints about running into ATS (although I am sure there are some members who have complaints about me running into ATS!)

I only lurked for a couple of weeks, and decided to post something, just see how it went. Was the first time I ever registered for any kind of chat board, and I dont regret it.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Illmatic67 was here and read dragon's bio

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Geologist, tight, I always wanted to be one, but I rather visit the world a researcher.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Geologist, tight, I always wanted to be one, but I rather visit the world a researcher. Posted by Foxstriker

Just so long as you explore the world, dont be content to sit and watch it roll by...

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Actually, you've done several things that I would have liked to do! Always loved geology, but never did anything more than casual rockhounding. And isn't Texas a wonderful place to see some really nice features? We did a trip to Llano a few years ago; climbed Enchanted Rock, picked up some Llanite, did a little rockhounding around... great fun!

Some nice cave geology around, but we stick to the commercial caves. We'd seriously hurt ourselves if we tried speilunking!

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Llano is a really cool place, and Enchanted Rock is one of the best places to see mother geology in her glory! Have you ever camped there overnight? Thats when you find out how it got its name: as it cools at night, it lets off strange creeks and moaning sounds that early settlers thought meant it was haunted. In reality, its just the rock contracting as it cools, but it does sound pretty freaky at 2 AM!

The hill country is beautiful and I would be happy to retire there (Marble Falls especially is a beautiful place). The counties along the Balcones Fault Zone are rife with litterally thousands of karstic caves that are perfect for cutting your teeth in caving. In Travis and Williamson counties alone (the Austin area) there are litterally hundreds of known/mapped caves, with at least double that number previously unknown and unmapped.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonrider
Yes, I have no complaints about running into ATS (although I am sure there are some members who have complaints about me running into ATS!)

I'm not one who regrets your arrival! I have learned quite a lot from you and appreciate your informative posts. Hey, did you ever post a pic of your ass?

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 29MV29

I'm not one who regrets your arrival! I have learned quite a lot from you and appreciate your informative posts. Hey, did you ever post a pic of your ass?

That was a joke, i really don't want to see your ass. Although, I think maybe you should post a pic of you in a dress, that would be better.

posted on May, 29 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'm not one who regrets your arrival! I have learned quite a lot from you and appreciate your informative posts. Hey, did you ever post a pic of your bottom? Posted by 29MV29

Well thank you very much!

*Hoists a toast of crown and coke*

Yes, I did post something representative...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thats not my personal a$$, as I dont have any site to host a personal pic, but if you REALLY want to see my hairy a$$, and someone will be willing to host it, I will be happy to supply one!

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Hey Dragonrider, very interesting bio you have

I can post your pic on my site if you want. I really enjoyed your questions to my friend and if you still would like to ask him questions, he is participating in my forum. www.holyconspiracy.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 08:55 PM
link   
good to learn about you
very fascinating
i worked in Cairo and loved it, i was also a mud logger for Dresser on exploratories in Georges Bank on the Zapata Saratoga, and a mud man for Milchem in Laredo, have worked off-shore extensivley, and my first born child arrived in Corpus Christi. Actually she is living their now.
not only that my sister used to be a geologist and was in Russia for quite awhile in the 70's doing seismic work

i also like rocks, they give me stabilty

shortest poem i ever wrote was about a rock

I saw my rock, with my eye's
and I loved it!

see you around

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Ycon, thanks for the pop! As for hosting a pic of my hairy a$$, if the people demand it, it can be supplied. However, since your site is of a religious nature, I dont know that it would be appropriate, but thank you very much for the offer.

As for debating with Bman, I will make an effort to get over there sometime and do so.

Tutankamen,

Thanks for your interest in my career. Mudlogging does kinda suck doesnt it?

Where did you work offshore? I spent a couple months on the Freeport Macmoran rigs out of New Orleans. I do have to say, you got some of the best food in the world on those rigs.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Hey DragonRider!
Nice bio, you're about the only person who i actually read all the way through without replying and staring at them.

Oh, Question....First Name please?

ByeBye & I voted for you!

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
David,

Thank you very much!

As for my name, well, I prefer a bit of anonymity, but I say it starts with a B.

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Read you bio days ago. It was the first i read, I think. I find half of your posts interresting the rest fun, and have learned to use my sceptic's hat reading your posts. Thanx for sharing your history with us. I've loved rocks and caves since I was nanomarius. Great reading DR
Keep up the good work...

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Thank you very much sir!

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 11:43 PM
link   

David,

Thank you very much!

As for my name, well, I prefer a bit of anonymity, but I say it starts with a B.

And let me guess; it ends up with an A that B is also, but not at the same time, for they are slightly different, for the A is an L and the B is also Z, and it all just goes
when you finally understand that you don't understand anything...

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Yes I agree with the majority for once...very nice bio. I hope to lead a different, but somewhat similiar life. My ambition is to see the world and people like you are a great inspiration, and rightfully so a toast to YOU. Sorry Lord Calvert and coke. We get along all too well. Nice work and hope to hear more from you soon!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join