It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your Go-To Handgun?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Colt 1911, 100 year old a** kicker. Can't go wrong with it imo. Solid design with ample stopping power. Love my Rail Gun. Fun to shoot easy to maintain. Never had a malfunction in over 800 rounds through it.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: BugOut

Excellent advice!!!

I know too many gun enthusiasts with a CCW that are do not even know/follow the 4 Rules of Firearms. Too many wannabes that think they know it all which is true for anything. Most experts in anything will never tell you they are an expert.

Amen. The only thing I know is that I know nothing. When you "know it all" you stop learning and become complacent.

Though I live in a state which allows open or concealed handgun carry with the same permit, I choose not to open carry. Why?

Well, I don't need a damn assault rifle to go buy a burrito. I'll be the one to say it, thats just dumb. Go play GI Joe at home. This isn't the OK Coral anymore. You're not John Wayne. Last time I checked, there weren't roving gangs of armed thugs waiting to sling hot lead at you on your way to Chipotle. Anyone else wonder if those "open carry activist" goons were hired just to make the rest of us look bad? Just a hunch....

Second, and more realistically, in a real life scenario, a perp is gonna eye the guy with a pearl-handled six-shooter on his hip as the first target to take down, to eliminate possible resistance. That's the beauty of Concealed Carry.... Perps just never know if they picked the wrong place and time to commit a crime. Good to keep 'em a little on edge.
edit on 862014 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: missed a word

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
For the home i have a 1911 with a barrel 2 inches longer then normal that i ported on my milling machine.
i have 4 10 round mags for it and i has a red dot sight mounted on it.

For carry i have a WW2 Walther P38

both weapons i use light gr federal hydra shok ammo.
165gr for the 45 and 124 gr for the 9mm

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

I couldn't agree more.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Thank you everyone for the great responses! I've learned about some new firearms I might have to look into for my next purchase. Also, I'm SO glad to see there are many people educated on firearms here on ATS, I was waiting to hear someone say "man I always go to my 9mil dawg, Its the easiest to hold sideways..." or something along those lines. So thank you for the informative responses!

And I understand there are better options than a .45ACP against a bear (obviously a 12 gauge slug), I was just referring to one of the best options in the handgun family. I should have been more clear.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Honestabe28

Either of my SIG 1911s.
My Extreme is the smoothest shooting gun I have ever run.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Honestabe28
Thank you everyone for the great responses! I've learned about some new firearms I might have to look into for my next purchase. Also, I'm SO glad to see there are many people educated on firearms here on ATS, I was waiting to hear someone say "man I always go to my 9mil dawg, Its the easiest to hold sideways..." or something along those lines. So thank you for the informative responses!

And I understand there are better options than a .45ACP against a bear (obviously a 12 gauge slug), I was just referring to one of the best options in the handgun family. I should have been more clear.

Well.....If your going for a "kill shot" you do HAVE to hold it sideways.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TiedDestructor

And then risk a hot shell in the eye....

Not smart

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Unless left handed.

But notice the pic...Its a........revolver.

Very smart.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor

Unless left handed.

Very smart.

Thought you were generalizing - yeah revolvers are very easy and reliable and 'safe' to use.

You would have to be a total moron to mess one up!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

originally posted by: TiedDestructor

Unless left handed.

Very smart.

Thought you were generalizing - yeah revolvers are very easy and reliable and 'safe' to use.

You would have to be a total moron to mess one up!

I was attempting to give the op a chuckle.

Biigs steps in on the technical front.

TiedDestructor loses comedic momentum because of said technicality.

Now I'm sad.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Honestabe28

The best revolver I've ever owned, was the
nickle plated, laser sighted, double action
Ruger 44 Mag. Never had more fun with any side
arm. I also liked the old school Thompson but I
never owned one.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

The Thompson Contender? Man, those are awesome. Back in high school, a good buddy's dad had one he'd let us take out. Single shot, break-over action, about a 10-12" barrel with a decent 4x scope up top. Amazing accuracy.

Chambered only in .223, we still called it the "Hand Cannon." More than a few coyotes met their end from that thing.

Almost identical to this one, but with a higher gloss finish on the wood, and a checkered foregrip.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CloudsTasteMetallic

That's the pretty piece right there.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: CloudsTasteMetallic
a reply to: randyvs

The Thompson Contender? Man, those are awesome. Back in high school, a good buddy's dad had one he'd let us take out. Single shot, break-over action, about a 10-12" barrel with a decent 4x scope up top. Amazing accuracy.

Chambered only in .223, we still called it the "Hand Cannon." More than a few coyotes met their end from that thing.

Almost identical to this one, but with a higher gloss finish on the wood, and a checkered foregrip.

That is a beauty!

Quite a treat to get to use one im sure, one fine looking weapon for sure!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The order of (concealed) carry for me is:

1. Springfield Armory XDM 3.8 Compact .45 ACP
2. Springfield Armory XD Sub Compact .40 S&W
3. Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .38 special (poly J frame)

Depending on season, attire, and whimsy it will be one of the above that my life will be entrusted.

If I am in the "field" and concealment is no longer an issue, then I Increase the barrel and frame size:

1. Springfield Armory 1911 TRP Half Rail .45 ACP
2. Smith & Wesson 686 6" .357

While there are guns that are daily staples, I don't believe in a single solution... The right tool for the job is my mantra...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join