It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your Go-To Handgun?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Beretta M9 or Sig Sauer P226

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Glock .40, I'm very good with it......very good...

Also have Mossberg 500 and a bodyguard 25 acp, so in a sense it is what is loaded and close. My 300BK and .556 are not loaded but I have mags loaded all the time in my safe with those guns.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Bedside gun is a G17 with a surefire light and some nice night sights. Usual carry is a G19, sometimes a G26 and if I'm being real lazy or it's hot out a SW revolver. I like 9mm for a number of reasons, and in 8 years of owning Glocks have had 1 jam that I blame on the ammo. The things are simple to shoot, no forgetting to take it off safe, light weight, insanely reliable, take a beating, easy to strip and clean, nice low bore axis, cheap to find parts for, accurate, fit my hand well, feed anything and I actually think they look good.

I like 1911s, but I don't really trust them as a daily. I also have a hard time concealing one as I have a tendency to wear fairly tight jeans and t-shirts (for the ladies). I used to carry a Kimber back in the day, and tried carrying the Sig Scorpion but again, too big and even if I was wearing a jacket I can't find a comfortable position.

I like my Sig, but I don't feel as comfortable with DA/SA as I do with DAO. Also I went tacticool on that gun so it's got the TB which is hard to find the right holster for.

Love my .22s (Mosquito and BuckMark) but they're .22s.

Never could shoot a Beretta 92, not sure why. Never liked the polymer Springfield's though I know they're a great gun too. Other than the ones listed there isn't much I would even consider, though I do feel I am missing one.

TL;DR Glocks are awesome.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Glock 23 40 cal. Its small enough to carry for a guy my size 6'00" 235lbs while having enought to it where i can grip it and feel like im holding a weapon. Plus the 40 cal. in my mind is the superior round you dont get as much ammo per clip as a 9 cal. round but you do more damage while not having to sacrifice an extra 3-4 bullets per clip to get more damage out of a 45 cal. round. lastly its the only hand gun i've owned (i've owned alot of hand guns) that i could drop in the mud slid back pick it up and still fire.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Go to hand gun? Is that like your go to recipe for a pot luck? I think handguns should not exist. They are only made to kill man. No one hunts with a pistol. Go ahead and shoot me.

I think that anti-gun pacifists shouldn't exist... Yet, they do. So I guess we're kinda in the same boat, right?

And no, they are not made only to kill man. I do some pretty frequent turtle hunting with a .22 revolver. Whoda thunk it? A handgun can, and should, be used, (as mentioned by OP) as a self defense tool while hiking (etc) out in the wilderness.

And the old "if they were outlawed, criminals wouldn't have them." is faulty logic. BY DEFINITION, a criminal is someone who lives outside of the control of law.

To get my concealed carry permit, first we covered how to shoot well. And the other 95% of the class covers WHEN NOT TO. Which, is almost all of the time.

*takes deep breath* Ok, rant time is over. I'm fairly certain nothing will change your mind.
Well, nothing short of an upstanding concealed-carry citizen thwarting a violent crime in front of you.
Which I sincerely hope never happens.

Tis better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

edit on 862014 by CloudsTasteMetallic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I was in the woods hiking a few years ago and I was carrying a 40 cal. Glock. The small one I think it's the 27. I noticed a pretty BIG black bear eating berries or something and for some reason it looked up at my wife and I and started trotting straight toward us. It didn't look angry, maybe curious, IDK it was weird. We were on a trail next to a rocky cliff where there was no safe place to go. The bear got about 20 feet from me and I fired a few shots into the ground. I shot in the bears direction but to the side of the bear. This big thing about-faced and took off running in the other direction. It was like a giant fat ball of lightening. I know I got lucky because he was FAST. I didn't want to have to shoot him and I would have NEVER been able to out run him. He was so fast we were amazed. That 40 cal. probably would have just pissed him off. I would have to say a .45 if you think you may be in a bear area.

Be Safe.

reply to: Honestabe28

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: LadySkadi

Yeah, I guess if your in the woods its a different story.

When I go backpacking in deep wilderness, I bring my UDAP Bear Spray.. it will stop a grizzly in its tracks, and other animals - big cats, wolves, humans, etc.
www.udap.com...

As for humans, I would imagine in some situations, it would be safer to not have a gun. A person with a gun is a life threat, perhaps worth killing, while a person without a gun is harmless.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

I wish the world worked the way you see it. It'd be much more peaceful... Not a bad thing.

But, it doesn't.

...A person with a gun is a life threat, perhaps worth killing, while a person without a gun is harmless.

In some cases, yes, that'd be correct. But in all too many? Victim. Prey. Crime statistic.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I want something like a Beretta 92FS for home security but I have to rely on a 10" kitchen knife and metal baseball bat for home security.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I have been a lot of "places" around this big world and seen a lot of bad guys go down in an "expedited" manner so to speak. I still do a little work on the side but I carry a Sig 1911 TACOPS or my S&W M&P .45 each day. I have read several good posts here and my opinion is carry what fits in your hand and feels good. Practice, practice, practice. Shooting paper sitting still is wonderful, but be practical. Take a tactical shooting class if possible or learn from someone who has been there and knows what the hell they are talking about. I see a lot of people at the range giving bad advice and pretending they know what they are talking about. The decision to actually draw and fire in the real world comes with a lot of responsibility and repercussions. CARRY on....

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Honestabe28

My go to is my Glock 20.
It's great, powerful, accurate, and of course reliable. One of the things I like the most about is that at 10mm it's the most powerful Glock made, but! It also shoots .40cal right from the factory with no mod's needed.
10mm is kind of hard to find in stores (good thing for the Internet). I've shot at least as many .40 cal rounds through it as I have 10mm with no problems (around 300 each). If anyone has been considering getting one, I HIGHLY recommend it. It's my favorite pistol I've owned.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Honestabe28

The closest one in reach.

For self defense in a close quarters situation I prefer something other than FMJs....

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Believe it or not, i don't own a gun. When shtf, i'm gonna beat up a cop, and take his. lol

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Mine (bedside and my preference overall) is a S&W 38-special CTG revolver. The other (in my studio on the opposite side of the house) is a Ruger .22 Long Rifle.

I'm a petite woman over 50, and the recoil on the .357 was just too much. Hubby's is a Taurus 44 Magnum...too heavy for my hand.

edit on 8/6/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: ImDaMan
Believe it or not, i don't own a gun. When shtf, i'm gonna beat up a cop, and take his. lol

Good luck with that.
edit on 6-8-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: BugOut
Practice, practice, practice. Shooting paper sitting still is wonderful, but be practical. Take a tactical shooting class if possible or learn from someone who has been there and knows what the hell they are talking about. I see a lot of people at the range giving bad advice and pretending they know what they are talking about. The decision to actually draw and fire in the real world comes with a lot of responsibility and repercussions. CARRY on....

Should be pinned to the top of this thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Springfield XD 9 with Federal Hydra-shok 147 gr HP. For me the choice was Glock 19 or the XD. While both are very very similar even costing nearly the same it came down to personal pref. The XD felt better in my hands and the result of that was better accuracy.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Colt Combat Commander in .38 Super.
She's almost as old as I am [ 50 ] and never misfired, failed to chamber or eject.
Yeah, she's heavy and only holds 9 rounds. But, it's where you put the first 2 that count. Don't get me wrong, I like my 9 mm, .45 and all the rest, but if I could pick one, it's her. She was made in '78 and I got her new out of the box, so sentimental reasons apply.

edit on 6-8-2014 by DAVID64 because: wrong button

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
.45 ACP 1911
cant get much better than 2 of this with extended clips. OOOOOOOhhh baby. .45 ACP 1911

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: BugOut

Excellent advice!!!

I know too many gun enthusiasts with a CCW that are do not even know/follow the 4 Rules of Firearms. Too many wannabes that think they know it all which is true for anything. Most experts in anything will never tell you they are an expert.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join