It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your Go-To Handgun?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Honestabe28

I plan on getting a .45 in the near future for when I'm out hiking or camping since it's your best bet against bears.

You mean .45 ACP? I'd recommend something heavier. .45 Long Colt as a minimum. Heres the thing. If a bear is charging you, he is presenting a profile of skull bone and shoulders. You can bang away at that armor with a .45 auto all day, generating ricochets but little in the way of stopping power.

You want a heavy slug and a good velocity to drive your point home. One, two rounds, tops.

You won't get time to reload anyway. At any distance the little .45 is going to drop off in velocity. Pulling your revolver quietly and holding it quietly by your side is also less threatening until you need it. As opposed to cycling actions and flipping off safeties on an automatic, what not.

Your best defense on a bear is to let them know you are coming and speaking in even non menacing tones as you gently back away. Killing one should be a last resort.

Thats his turf, not yours human…

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

I favor a Mossberg 500 PG tactical for home defense, but I agree with the revolver comment. No safety and no fuss....point and shoot. .38 is my choice.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Springfield XDM .45 compact is my carry.

CZ75 and Baby Desert Eagle 9mm are just all around sexy.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

We have very strict laws on our guns.

Since the dunblane incident, hand guns are absolutely banned due to their easy concealability. only armed police and military can use them and they cant keep them at home (i think)

You have to have a good reason to own a rifle or shotgun, and usually be a member of a gun club.

We dont have much gun crime really, so its not a problem for home defense, it is a shame we cant buy one any more even for pure shooting range use. Id really like a 1911 to put a few down range.

Full auto glock 18 with the extended clip, oh yeah baby! Id love to squeeze off a few clips on one of those.

edit on b2727908 by Biigs because: fixed for grammar

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

I favor a Mossberg 500 PG tactical for home defense, but I agree with the revolver comment. No safety and no fuss....point and shoot. .38 is my choice.

590A1

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Honestabe28

I plan on getting a .45 in the near future for when I'm out hiking or camping since it's your best bet against bears.

Your best defense on a bear is to let them know you are coming and speaking in even non menacing tones as you gently back away. Killing one should be a last resort.

Thats his turf, not yours human…

Well if he comes to my house simply turning the light on seems to do well enough. Therefore, I'd actually use a flashlight at night, scream really really mean like in the day.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
www.ruger.com...

My favorite... but part of that is the gun fits my hand right out of the box like it was made for me.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:34 PM
link   

All joking aside, the 1911 is a venerable piece of American heritage. I've never owned one and only fired them a couple of times while I was on active duty. I never liked the way they rattled around in my hand to be perfectly honest, and my interest in them ended there.

After I took an interest in combat shooting, I learned that the fewer mechanical actions required under stress ... the better. With a lot of practice from the draw, the motion required to flick the safety off could become second nature. Still, one never knows how they're going to react under stress.

I currently reside in a gun free country. It's not all that bad.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I like my Desert Eagle, it is a little heavy but pretty accurate. I got the 357. I had no problem finding bullets for that. But it is expensive to shoot. The good part, a kid can't chamber it usually, their hands are too weak.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't care to put my laundry list online.
That said, anything German or Austrian will do just fantastic.
German engineering, the rest is just a poor copy.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
www.ruger.com...

My favorite... but part of that is the gun fits my hand right out of the box like it was made for me.

Thats a nice looking piece of machining.

I love it when a gun, or to be honest any mechanical metal machine is milled properly and precisely - its a mark of of the maker doing things as best as literally possible.

Those guys that like to sand out out of the sharp edges are taking somthing away from the makers hard work.

This is one of the few reasons i dont like glocks, too much polymer, metal parts too smooth, too dark.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
The good part, a kid can't chamber it usually, their hands are too weak.

That is a fantastic point i never thought of.

Ease of use is bad for the kids that can get access, at least you know they can't steal your weapon and do somthing stupid.

edit on b4141944 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
I would not willingly go up against a bear with ANY handgun.
This would be a last ditch effort.
Short barrel makes for less accuracy and velocity.
And like you said, it is his turf.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Gen III Glock 23 (.40 S&W) is my main daily carry. Sometimes switch it up with the P226 in 9mm.

If i'm going out in hog country, I'm taking a rifle. Pretty sure a .40 bouncing off the skull of a charging boar would just piss it off.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Anything but a perfect head shot is simply going to piss it off more. Then you are certainly done for.

I cant imagine with a bear running at you, your going to be hitting a barn door with a hand gun.

And heck - a bear is a chunky beast, even if you DID get a great head shot some how (while totally crapping your pants) it might not take it out and its going to tear your face off.

edit on b4545942 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I much prefer to rely on my hot glue gun, never failed me yet

P.S. just aussie humour, I cant seriously participate in this loved topic, because in 1996 THEY TOOK OUR GUNS FROM US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: g146541

I would not willingly go up against a bear with ANY handgun.
This would be a last ditch effort.

So a rifle then is your "go to"?

Okay, except its hard to chop wood or dress game while cradling a rifle.

Both activities tend to draw them. You hear him snort and look up to see your rifle leaning against yonder tree, right were you left it.

Side arms do have their last ditch place.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I open carry daily because of the nature of my job. That being said I carry only service sized pistols blessed with long sight radius, match barrels and generally high capacity magazines. (I need all the help I can get)

I used to be an avid fan of the 9mm round...and granted...I still am. It's my preferred concealed carry caliber and the only caliber on my person 24-7. (Kel-tec PF-9) The high quality and potent +P 9mm ammunition on the market meets or exceeds standard 45 acp ammunition ballistics.

However....The same advances made in 9mm ammunition can be applied to 45 acp rounds as well. Negating the supposed close in the gap of ballistic differences in between the two.

In comes capacity. This has always been the gleaming pride of the 9mm round. My first pistol (Beretta 92fs) held 15 rounds and led the industry in capacity. I shot it okay. Good but definitely not spectacular. I'm no expert.

Then one day while at the range I was handed a Custom Shop Kimber 1911 by a friend who challenged me to a 8" steel duel. Range 20 yards. I slowed down my breathing, slowly squeezed the uber light trigger and knocked down 7 out of 8 targets. My jaw literally dropped! I couldn't have done that; I wasn't nearly that good. I looked down on this beautiful concoction of blued steel, wood clad in oil resting in my hand with a s# eating grin on my face. What had God himself dropped into my hands?

You can guess what I began to carry. Kimber Custom Crimson Carry II (long name right?)
I can shoot the absolute crap out of that pistol...all day long. The 1911 is a God right??? WRONG!!!

Well all was good until a rash of armed robberies. My business became a victim. I found myself staring down the barrel of a nickel plated pistol. We have high countertops so he wasn't aware I was armed. I was given my "moment" when he drew his attention and weapon to my fiancé and the money. I drew my weapon centered and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened. I looked down as I had in the past at this beautiful weapon that hadn't fired and realized that out of my panic I hadn't disengaged the safety. I promptly flipped it off and raised my weapon again to the backside of his ass and our front door. He had thrown down his gun and ran.

I made a horrible mistake that day; I couldn't shake the feeling. I could have gotten us both killed over a manual safety! Wanting the best of 3 worlds, large caliber, high capacity and the ability to carry d/a to s/a no safety engaged I went with the FNX-45 Tactical.

45 acp, 15 rd capacity, stupid accurate. Most capable pistol I've ever owned.

Rant over....Done got on my own damn nerves....

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

P.S. just aussie humor, I cant seriously participate in this loved topic, because in 1996 THEY TOOK OUR GUNS FROM US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a bummer, man. Its okay, you don't have 800 pound carnivores and herbivores as big as minibuses.

Just politicians… the biggest predators of all.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   
And some of those nearing 800LBS too

a reply to: intrptr

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join