It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old style stone quarrying in Switzerland and information on ancient quarry techniques

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Those interested in stone quarrying and how the ancient may have shaped stones may find this of interest. It about a sandstone quarry in Switzerland that used a very old technique for removing the stone until recent times.

Pickaxe

Even until the 1950s the quarrymen in Berne extracted their sandstone using pickaxes. They carved out trenches around the blocks to be removed, not unlike the way their colleagues did 5.000 years ago in ancient Egypt.

The caption that goes with the image above

The difference between cutting trenches with chisel and mallets (straight lines), and pickaxe (curved marks). Small Graeco-Roman quarry at Elkab, Upper Egypt

An interesting way to move the stones down - dump them over the side into sand.
edit on 5/8/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Hanslune
Nice Hans,
I read a write up last year about a similar quarry in France, where they wee using the same tools as use 200 years ago.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Really fantastic page, not only was it a fascinating read, the subject matter was presented in a way that bridges the gap between ancient and more recent quarrying techniques in a well-illustrated way.

We have a large number of old quarries in my hometown, most closed between the 30's and 50's, and the last closed in the 80's. The older ones also show trenches between extracted blocks had been worked with pickaxes. At least they weren't forced to use pound stones.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Noooooo Hans.....get with the program....ALIENS.

/sarc

On topic. cool thread. I learn a lot from you. Being the lazy researcher I am.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
That works with sandstone all right. Try that with granite. Keep in mind ancient Egyptians had copper tools, not steel tools.
edit on 8-5-2014 by groingrinder because: Edited for more info.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   
The hike in Switzerland seems like a great feild trip or family trip. Thanks for posting.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: groingrinder
That works with sandstone all right. Try that with granite. Keep in mind ancient Egyptians had copper tools, not steel tools.

But they didn't use copper or steel to quarry granite.

They used pounding stones.

There really is absolutely no question whatsoever about this.

Harte

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hanslune
Those interested in stone quarrying and how the ancient may have shaped stones may find this of interest. It about a sandstone quarry in Switzerland that used a very old technique for removing the stone until recent times.

Pickaxe

Even until the 1950s the quarrymen in Berne extracted their sandstone using pickaxes. They carved out trenches around the blocks to be removed, not unlike the way their colleagues did 5.000 years ago in ancient Egypt.

The caption that goes with the image above

The difference between cutting trenches with chisel and mallets (straight lines), and pickaxe (curved marks). Small Graeco-Roman quarry at Elkab, Upper Egypt

An interesting way to move the stones down - dump them over the side into sand.

Look at the illustration,the quarry workers have no faces!This proves all stone was quarried by aliens!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: groingrinder

Yes they used hard diorite hammers but what is interesting is that they used the same trenching technique in Switzerland 4,500 years later. The difference being modern men used iron picks and the AE diorite hammer stones.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
The hike in Switzerland seems like a great feild trip or family trip. Thanks for posting.

Its a great place and may I suggest going to Zermat and the Hotel Matterhornblick. Truly one of the world great experiences.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf

Look at the illustration,the quarry workers have no faces!This proves all stone was quarried by aliens!

Hmmmm, Indeed, I think we have found our test subject for the WGIIP18H testing!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Hate to burst your bubble, but aliens do have faces.

Harte

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

Harte

AND you know that how? lol.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hanslune

Harte

AND you know that how? lol.

I've seen the rock paintings, Hans.

Stop conspiratorizin' against us.

Harte

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Harte

And here I figured it was when you stood in front of a mirror...
That's right, I went there.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Harte

How do we know you're not playing a Dr. Solomon on us?
edit on 6/8/14 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

top topics

join