It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found out a old purchase at a flea mkt may be valuable.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Thought I would show it off.

And the story is.

Back in the mid 1980s I went to a flea market in Minneapolis. While there I found the item in the picture. But living in the middle of the USA I was a long way from any possible source of information on the ship in question. After the Internet came out I tried looking up the Ohau with no success. Until recently. I tried looking it up again last week and look what I found now.

The 1899 wreck of the S.S. Ohau.

One thing I never suspected that this bell may have been recovered from a shipwreck. So what do you think? A good find? Historical artifact?

Maybe next year I'll take to the Antiques Roadshow and see what they think.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ntech
If I were you, I'd contact either Sotheby's or Christy's auction house. They will ask for you to send them a picture and you can find out what the worth is as well as other information about it. You can find their number or email online. They won't charge you for the assesment. I have a friend who recently contacted them about a painting and they were very helpful.

Nice find, I love flea markets and yard sales, you never know what you're going to find.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

As a caveat I must say that I am not a antiques expert, just a amateur.

But at first glance, it causes me to raise an eyebrow. It's in to pristine condition for something recovered from a sunken shipwreck. It looks like it was made yesterday.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I once found a Charles dickens ( Oliver Twist )novel in a skip very old one .
Wish I knew were I put it now .

Great find !

edit on 4-8-2014 by Denoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Kool. My hubby has a shoe string business where he shops thrift stores and resells tems on eBay. A book he got for 25¢ sold to a man in Greece for $50.00 plus shipping. There have been several finds of this caliber. He mostly focuses on China and silverware and books but some MacDonads toys have brought unsuspected gains.
I'd be hungry for the provenance of your bell. If it's from a shipwreck who pulled it etc.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Could be a replica made a long time ago. An expert would have to look at it.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

The thing is though I did buy in the mid 80s. I had it for 30 years approximately. If it's a fake it's an old one. Though I do wonder if that there could have been more than one Ohau at the time though. That might explain it's good condition. And how this bell ever wound up in Minneapolis. Or maybe it was some kind of duplicate or other weirdness.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Oliver Twist was not published as a book when it was first written. The story was originally published as a serial in a periodical of Dickens day. New segments were released every month. The segments were later combined into a book. I imagine if it's old it's still valuable. I love Dickens. Read a lot as a child and even now have four or five of his books in my Kindle. reply to: Denoli

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:42 AM
link   
That's why I'd be curious about its provenance.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
A local antiques dealer could do that. Christeys or Sothebys? You go right to the top huh? They charge a commission just to evaluate an item.
ysa reply to: 2manyholes

edit on AMu31u0883245312014-08-04T08:45:57-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
It appears to be aluminum to me which would not deteriorate under water. But again it's just a photo. I'd bring it to a local antiques dealer for evaluation.
t reply to: TDawgRex

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

No they don't Autumn. Like I said I recently had a friend contact them and there was no charge. Yes they will take a commission if you decide to have them handle the sale.

Yes, why not ask the best in the field? I'm sure you realize that there are many out there who will tell you something is not worth something in hopes that they can buy it from you then turn around and make the sale to their profit.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I contacted them about an old oak cabinet once and they said there was a charge for their assessment. They did say they would provide a certificate for that fee. a reply to: 2manyholes

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

This was just a few weeks ago, it was concerning a painting. Maybe it's different for furniture or perhaps they have changed their policy? They had him email pictures of the painting and after they recieved them he recieved a phone call saying it was a reproduction.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
if it is aluminum,its a fake for sure.Aluminum will rot away in no time if its in water.Thats why almost everything on a boat is brass or stainless steel.In the 1890's,aluminum was almost gold!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
DOUBLE POST. OOPS.

edit on AMu31u0883216312014-08-04T09:16:10-05:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The top of the Washington monument is clad in aluminum. It was precious at the time. Like gold as you said. Anyway it's been up there since 1884 so how delicate could it be?
a reply to: blkcwbyhat

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Could be. That was years ago. a reply to: 2manyholes

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The ships status is unknown supposedly lost in the Cook Strait NZ. If you have the genuine article and it was purchased in Minneapolis you have an enigma in your possesion. Pretty cool as it would seem unusual that someone discovered the wreck and never reported it. Could it be a pirated craft that made it to the US and was pressed into service on the Great Lakes? Curious find to be sure.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Most reputable antiques dealers are on the up and up. They won't stay in business too long otherwise. I'm not saying bring it to the guy down the street with the large steel shed overflowing with junk. LOL.a reply to: 2manyholes

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join