It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Resistant Starch can lead to better health and vivid dreams?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
"Resistant Starch"? Never heard of it, until about a week ago. It almost sounds like a superfood, who knows maybe it is.

Resistant Starch is basically starches that resist digestion in the stomach. These starches are then passed down into the lower intestines where they are broken down and feed the bacteria that resides within. The claimed benefits are numerous, including weight management, eye health and even helping to preserve the brain. However the one side effect that interested me the most is enhanced dreaming. So I am going to do a test, I have already ordered some Potato Starch and will begin taking 1-4 table spoons each night approximately 4-5 hours before I head off to sleep. I will come back and update everyone who is interested on whether this impacts my dreaming or not.

If you find the time, read up on this stuff, it is very interesting and if half of the claims are true then it is something I would include in my daily diet. If anyone is already familiar with this stuff and has something to share, I would love to hear about it.

www.youtube.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
primaldocs.com...
authoritynutrition.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Potato starch is readily available from supermarkets and is basically just the starch from a potato, you could basically eat some potato for the same effect.

Eating starch before bed doesn't sound very healthy, especially if it isn't easily digested.

I have spent most of my past as either mildly anorexic (though fully life functioning) or bordering on it and as a child hated most food, especially meat and heavy starch. I still detest really starchy foods, in fact, even though now I eat daily, my body doesn't actually like it and I feel healthier when I fast, for example just eating once a day at a particular time or a particular food, or missing food for a day then eating the next, it is how my body feels healthiest.

Starch and the overeating of is a major cause of obesity and should be avoided. The human body isn't designed for the average starch levels of the western diet. It is also rather addictive and should be monitored.

I take white kidney bean extract, which has an enzyme that blocks the absorption of starch, and also lipid blockers with any food I eat apart from fruit/ veg and I feel much better when I do.

Back when I only ate fruit and veg and no grains / bread / pasta etc, the first time after a year or so I ate some bread and almost immediately felt ill and lethargic. Sometimes such things are toxic to systems and are just all too tolerated and prevalent in western food.

The health issues of the west would most likely be dramatically reduced if wheat etc were removed from the equation.
edit on 31-7-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

It's interesting that you mention your story as I have just started playing around with IF and really enjoy it. Today I was thinking to myself that I feel so full after a small meal, I like being able to go for a day and only eating once or even skipping a day and then resume eating. It makes me feel clean for some reason.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: QuietSpeech
Quiet Speech Thank You!!! For about 3 months now maybe more I have been remembering my dreams. I have never been able to do that before. My dreams are very vivid and the amount of detail is amazing. I look forward to sleeping just to see where my dreams are going to take me. Some of them have just been hysterical too.

I have become gluten intolerant and my diet has changed considerably. I eat lots of oats, bananas, beans and many of the products that I now use for a wheat bread replacement have potato starch. I would never have equated remembering my dreams due to diet, I just never made the connection.
SnF

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Interested to hear how you go...

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: 2manyholes

It is mentioned that the "gut" produces 95% of the serotonin in the body.
www.apa.org...
Which helps regulate mood but also impacts our sleep. Our gut biome is a regular factory producing many chemicals and is being linked to the brain and behavior. I'm still new to the entire topic but it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for contributing!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: subtopia

I'm actually going on vacation tomorrow but if I can I will start this process early next week and will post any results. I know I dream every night but recollection is fuzzy at best, I'm really interested to see if recall improves.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: QuietSpeech

Just found another site, that has the following list of benefits, I wanted to include this yesterday but lost the link.

Benefits of Resistant Starch: (long list)
— decreased glycemic response (in both healthy subjects and diabetics)
— increased insulin sensitivity
— improved fasting blood sugar (10 or 15 point drops in many individuals, sometimes even greater)
— increased satiety
— improved metabolism
— improved fat burning
— improvement of adipose tissue patterning (body fat)
— improved sleep (deep and “movie-like” vivid dreams)
— improved digestion
— improved regularity
— improved blood/lipid profiles
— improved chelation/elimination of heavy metals
— improved colon pH (acidic is better)
— improved uptake/absorption of vitamins and minerals
— improved neurotransmitters (like serotonin)
— improved butyrate and Short-Chain Fatty Acid production (by feeding butyrate producing bacteria)
— improved colon health (by the production of Short-Chain Fatty Acids)
— improved previous damage to colonocytes
— improved mucosal integrity (gut barrier)
— protection against (experimental) colorectal cancer
— increased nitrogen disposal and reduced blood urea concentrations
— improved eye health
— improved body temperature
— reduced stress and improved well being (anecdotal)
— potential treatment for ulcerative colitis
— does not affect one’s ability to maintain ketosis (if that’s desired)

www.gestaltreality.com... ide/

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
So how is the experiment?

What supplement are you using?

I'm thinking of buying plantain flour from green bananas? Have you done any research on if it is better with or without the skin? I saw something mentioned that with skin - it can cause bloating?

Thanks,

Fullset
edit on 8-8-2014 by fullset because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: fullset

I have tried both green/raw plantains and unmodified raw potato starch. I am better able to determine what works for me when using the potato starch and I find that it goes down easier than the plantain does. Most people suggest taking several spoonfulls about 4 hours before bed, I'm actually doing it twice a day, morning and at night, 4 tsp mixed in a 1/2 cup of warm water.

Does it work, yes. Detailed vivid dreams, one was a superhero battle of sorts with gore spraying me. I woke up wiping my face trying to clean it off. It has been constant for the past 3 or 4 days now, just set your frame of mind before sleeping and off you go. If you already dream regularly and recall them, this has made it go from analog to hi-def.

One other thing, this stuff does create copious amounts of gas.

top topics

join