It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a hipster? Here is a visual guide to help conservatives who are clearly confused.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

i think its called being human.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

i think its called being human.

I'm human and was born without this compulsion. I'm sure just about everyone else was too. It's learned behavior.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Big, black-framed glasses and pink button-up shirts. Hipsters. I hate'em. But they do make me LOL at them so I guess they are entertainment for me.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Has this thread actually outted yet another subculture?
Quietly existing to be annoyed at the drop of a hat, or the wearing of turtleneck?
Are they the Hillsters?

edit on 1-8-2014 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It must have been an epic muffin top?

Couldn't say. I never made it into the pants. It would have been a sight to see though.

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So is that business in the front and pot-head in the back?

HA!

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I admit it ... I'd never heard of a subculture title of 'hipster' until I saw the movie 'This is the End'. Emma Watson described a hipster as having pants too tight at the bottom and hating things that are universally loved. So that's where I got my construct of a hipster from.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Categorization aids in survival, and if it is a learned behavior we certainly are wired perfectly to learn it.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Sure, if categorization of humans can be used as a tool to abuse or not tolerate others so that only those you deem acceptable or fall in your comfort zone or allow you to control others is about survival to you.

And again, we are not "wired" to do this. It's learned.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Sure, if categorization of humans can be used as a tool to abuse or not tolerate others so that only those you deem acceptable or fall in your comfort zone or allow you to control others is about survival to you.

And again, we are not "wired" to do this. It's learned.

humans are social creatures........were meant to be with other humans.......as such groups will naturally form...

Categories are only a way to distinguish them from others............this is not always inherently bad.....

"Hunters" and "gatherers" were some of the first groups.......

Not everything is nefarious.........

it seems to me youre taking quite the fatalistic approach to something simple

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Not sure about the modern deffinitoin but we used to strap two brooms on my aunt Jills sides.
She could sweep both side of the hall in one pass.

posted on Aug, 1 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I will always show my love for PBS Idea Channel anyway I can, but it just so happens this video is perfect for this topic. It's not very long, give it a look. It adds to the discussion better than I can or ,more accurately, choose to.

edit on 1-8-2014 by Osiris1953 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
A hipster is a person who is trying to hard and putting way to much effort into something which they are, ie there image. Basically there not hipsters there walking talking human billboard signs. As such I think I have only know one real hipster, she was like some sort of hipster that just wast all that hip, the very definition of a hipster. I think I told her that to. However what most people consider hipsters are merely cardboard cut outs of the hipply unhip. Its a thing people do.

Anyways I suppose there are only a few true hipsters in this world, the rest are merely nonconforming conformists with pet peeves and quizzical tastes in clothes, though in this case mostly leaning to the preppy side, there always trying to be so different from everybody else that they end up being like everybody else, just like everybody else and there pet peeve categorization in all of history. Basically like every other generation and group before them they try and fail to be different, and take from here and there of previous generations styles and fashions to find there niche and label. It is a thing that people do and have done every generation, that ever on going quest for every generation to set themselfs apart from previous generations, ultimately ending and indulging in a Coke vs Pepsi sort of debate. So what is the difference, and why is it that I should care?

The answer is I dont, but I can pretend that I care. However I cant pretend very well, or for very long for that matter, I am just not that hip. Must be a leaned or ingrained skill, one which I never picked up.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   
It's all just another fad, another herd following construct.

I've always found it amusing over the years watching these fads come and go. It's like listening to the latest generation of soap dodger student types talking about stuff, like they know everything and are so cool in their perceived enlightenment and us oldies know nothing. They all go for their piercing and tattoos and explain it as a display of their individualism, not seeming to realize that all the others of their age and group are all sporting the same piercings and tattoos. It's nothing more than a sold idea, another marketing hype, and they'd all be wearing a dog turd if the new fad demanded it.

Me? I never followed any of the fads. I guess I have always just been soooo uncool and a square (that shows my age a bit), but real individuality is to NOT follow follow the herd, participate in unthinking and uncritical "groupthink", and an ability to see through the marketing of it all. Marketing and social manipulation are the key words!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Ah, what is a hipster … I get called one often due to liking my glasses made in thick acetate and of retro styling. Then when I am seen using my Nikon FM2N and people go into shock because I bring the camera to my face to take a picture and there is no 'digital' image after I press the shutter, they shout 'hipster' but often become intrigued as to why I shoot film. And, believe it or not, when it rains and I have my proper whangee umbrella and people look at the bamboo and sturdy construction only to shout 'hipster' again because every gentleman must own a proper umbrella that is at place carrying the shopping home or to properly shield two on route to the theatre when the rain pours!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Being a hipster is about doing things before everyone else and dressing up in a certain way before any one else does it to gain attention and popularity. Hipsters aren't intelligent enough to be interesting. They can't bring anything new and interesting to the table except telling a story about how they were the first people to wear yellow this summer or something like that.

They also think that their opinions are somehow vastly superior over yours because of the ego-overload.

I'd say that they are attention whores.

Luckily, we don't have a lot of them in Bulgaria.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Whoa....

I thought this thread had been 404ed like most of my other ones.

I actually hired a young female hipster to help me in my documentary production of "Why are you so Angry"
As an interviewer she has fantastic language skills, writing ability, knows her way around a Canon C100 and has
large breasts.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I dressed hipster style before it was a 'thing'.

Way back in the 80's when I raided my mum's wardrobe for anything I considered wearable such as tweed hacking jackets, minimalist black velvet round neck long sleeve tops etc, (my clothes allowance was minimal to say the least), and my liking for polo necks, navy tights, ballet shoes and 50's cardigans, coupled with spectacles that I wore (and sometimes wear) occasionally at school (more light glare than eyesight issues) and I could have been the 'hipster template'.

As for hating lots of things, there was a lot worth hating in the 80's, culturally, and I never liked karaoke or the average attention seeking activities. My music taste was always more 'alternative', and being into buddhism from age 13 and literature and art since forever, I guess I could even have been the hipster attitude template.

That said, some of those that I know of that consider themselves 'hipsters' are mostly young and when I first met them were trying to be hippies, then ''wiggers'' (they called themselves that), then all of a sudden started copying my hair and clothes, posting instagram pictures of themselves posing as Jane Birkin etc and calling themselves ''hip''.

I guess fashion has a way of reinventing itself.

Beatniks might have been the original hipsters IMO but they were media corrupted and were the origins of the hippy movement but most don't realise that. Hipster is sort of contemporary hippy style perhaps.

Either way, I never named my style nor feel a need to but it's human nature to categorize, and there are worse type out there. I wouldn't like being considered 'hipster' just because of being original in my style and not a mainstream fashion victim.
edit on 7-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join