It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proper For Older Women?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
Why am I here?

You needed your tires rotated and a pack of nabs.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Your going to get a million stars for that!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Just caught up with this thread. You gals are great.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: 2manyholes

and very short people rarely guess I'm the age that I am.

Short or tall everyone guesses me younger!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

Why am I here?

You needed your tires rotated and a pack of nabs.

LOL ..........thank you!

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Why am I here?

Maybe you came through a vortex. I don't know, why did you come here? Any opinions on hair and clothing for older folks?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

You're late young lady! LOL! Figured you'd show up sooner or later.

It was just so wild when I read your opinion in that other thread, because I had dealt with that for so many years and always wanted to make a thread on it. You just inspired me to get my butt in gear.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

I love the artwork in your avatar!

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Why am I here?

Maybe you came through a vortex. I don't know, why did you come here? Any opinions on hair and clothing for older folks?

I read so much on here. I clicked on this thread kept reading. Had the picture of my mother in law in rollers. That is when the question popped in my head. So yeah you could say a vortex. P.S. I love my mother in law very nice lady, but thinks everyone is deaf. My opinion is woman no matter the age look better in long hair. But that's me. Thank you for the artwork compliment. Took a while to find.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

originally posted by: MoonBlossom
This man has such a beautiful heart and his entire channel is SO uplifting!

He does! Thank you....

a reply to: shrevegal
You know what I'd love to delve into...but not here..maybe in another topic someday because this is too positive a thread...is WHY free spirits bother some people so much.

It seems it makes some people very uncomfortable when someone is just being himself or herself...not fitting some preordained mold of how they "should" be.

You should start a thread on that topic Lucid. I'd be in it for sure. Being short 5', and long hair, hippyish style of clothing that I prefer for comfort and feel good value. I get stares accompanied by head shaking, and comments from women my own age and sometimes younger. "Why don't you cut your hair short, it would be so much easier to take care of". "I bet you spend a fortune on hair care products". "I haven't seen dresses like that in 30 years".

I love me, and everything, almost, about me. Why does the fact I am being myself, upset other women? At least I don't go out in public in my preferred ATS attire of tin foil hat...

Good fodder for a good thread Lucid, I think...

Des

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star
I'm an"older woman" and have no desire to cut my hair,it's down to my waist although I wear it up most days especially in the summer. I must say though I'm not a fashionista I like to see women wear what looks good on them not just because it's the latest fashion.
I like something clean neat appropriate and pulled together,clothing has never been my thing and hate shopping.I'm not looking to impress anyone but myself. A shirt and jeans(levi's) girl for the most part.

regardless of clothing and hair if your not comfortable with who you are that's what will be seen. Unfortunately most women usually don't learn this lesson until later in life.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

a reply to: OpinionatedB

OMG what a nightmare that must have been for you! That reminded me of a time I wanted something different and allowed the hair dresser to do what they felt what would look great for me. NEVER AGAIN! They chopped my luxurious long locks to just above the shoulder and it looked horrible. I was mortified and didn't even want to go out in public. I didn't feel like myself at all. Now I cut my own hair with a little layering, but not the length.

I don't get hairstylist they seem to be obsessed with cutting long hair? every makeovers show I've seen on television they always cut the clients hair short, hair that took years to grow! one clip it's all gone...that drives me nuts.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: canadiansenior70
LOL I guess I should have inserted a coma after short. I have had 2 very long and crappy days and reading your reply got me laughing. Of course I'm hoping you realize that I was referencing my hair being short and not people. Thanks for the laugh.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Not sure I qualify to speak on behalf of "older women" but my personal preference is for long hair- I find long hair more flattering, easy and less time consuming to care for. I know there is some degree of pressure to "fit in" and the relatively recent (historically speaking) trend is for women to cut their hair as they age. I'm sure that marketing for salons and product has much to do with that of course. How else would the billion dollar beauty industry survive if women as a whole, embraced natural beauty?
edit on 3-8-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
PS: I have noticed a huge shift in the last few years - there is a significant number of women of the "baby boomer generation" who have let go of the dye, grown their hair out, and look and feel happy. The trend is certainly moving toward natural, at least in my area... most are active, fit, fun and are doing exactly what they want and I love to see them shuck the beauty industry pressure and just be themselves. I do think this will have a positive influence on those who come after them. The best message is the one that says "be who you are"
edit on 3-8-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
My mum and i spoke about this recently! She is 53 and her hairdresser cut her hair alot shorter than she asked for (its like ear length) the lady also turned her hair orange when she asked for strawberry blonde i dont know why she keeps returning to her? lol, but anyway she was saying how she felt so much older with the shorter hair and also because majority of women over 50 she meets have traded their long hair in for a shorter look, i think because facial features stand out alot more when you have less hair, people will tend to focus on your face more or even if you are looking at the mirror at yourself you will notice more fine lines etc because you don't have that hair there to focus on either, just like if you have your hair tyed back you notice your face alot more! Long hair tends to soften faces just like light hair does too, I think Long, Short, Medium length who cares aslong as the individual is happy and comfortable with it that is all that matters! My mum started going grey when she was in her early 20's so has always dyed her hair and i think she will keep doing it for awhile yet, she does it purely for herself though i love that about my mum she doesnt care what anyone at all thinks, as for clothing she always dresses age appropriate because thats how she feels comfortable, that said i think alot of older women could go for items that they think are for younger women its all about what flatters your figure, what might work for some older women might not work for others i remember that tv show called what not to wear had great segments on this kind of thing.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Hi All

I am 68 wear my hair medium length and color it. I still wear tight jeans and a updated top. Nothing makes you look and feel older than relegating yourself to the stereotyped clothing and hair or an old person. I refuse to allow myself to fall into that category. I am 5' foot and moderately slim. Still wear a size 4 petite. I have a 78 year old dancer friend who dresses young and is the most popular dancer on the dance floor. A guy 5 years younger than myself has been after her for a couple years.

As an aside that may be of interest to older folks: I have recently been given by my dr. a mega dose of methyl folate (subscription) due to a genetic defect that doesn't allow me to absorb folic acid efficiently. Tho I had been taking methyl folate at a much lower dose and my folate levels were good according to the lab, the level he gave me has made some huge changes. My hair is growing back in dark brown. Not all of it but 8 weeks out from a hair color, grey dosn't show. I have had a grey streak since age 26 and it became totally white about 4 years ago...it now has dark hair growing in. My fragile fingernails are harder and skin integrity seems to be improved.

Folate is the source of gene expression and I suspect that the so called norm is lacking.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: liveandlearn

You know, absorption as we get older becomes more difficult, or typically more difficult in women - or so my doctor says. I have to take that also... it DOES make a difference, but I always thought that the difference it made was that we could now absorb the various vitamins etc that we need much better.... so now instead of our body starving for them, we are actually getting them from the vitamins and the food we eat better.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Shana91aus

i remember that tv show called what not to wear had great segments on this kind of thing.

I Love that show! usually they did an awesome job on people, but not always. I could never trust a hairdresser to do what THEY think is best. I tried that before and hated it! That show usually did a great job with clothing, but I wonder how many of them kept up with those styles or resorted back to their old ways. LOL

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

This thread is inspired by Kangaruex4Ewe. In another thread where she was speaking of age appropriate dressing and hair.

She was mentioning how most older woman all had short hair. It is true, they are like clones of each other walking around out there. LOL
Like you hit this unfortunate age where you are too old for your long hair or something. I have had long hair most of my life and my Mother and Sister once I got into my late forties would harp on me about having long hair and I should cut it, blah, blah, blah. My sister is 11 years older than me and never colors her hair. Once we were out at a restaurant she frequents and the waitress said, "Oh is this your daughter?" She kept her cool and was pleasant, but was like...WTF? I laughed and said well I have long hair and color the greys and don't look my age. I told her she could look a lot younger with longer colored hair but it didn't matter to me as long as she was happy.

Clothing can be a more complicated issue. I mean some older women can get away with almost anything, but on others it just doesn't look right. I have seen many older women with a varied style of classic, fun and fashionable clothing and look amazing. I mean what are we supposed to do wear frumpy and boring clothing because we hit a certain age? Bah, let's be fun, unique, fashionable and embrace it! Add some unique jewelry pieces and accessories.

I'm 57 and I have longer that shoulder length hair that I dye blond. I started going grey in high school so it's not age related. I do not go around in those sliced frayed jeans or belly revealing shirts but I wear jeans and tees. I'll wear a skirt above my knees because I'm short and it makes my legs look longer buy its not so short you can see what I ate for breakfast. I am not tattooed or pierced anywhere but my ears I do however have two holes in my ears and have had since the seventies. I was ahead of my time fashion wise. LOL. Anyway I keep it age appropriate without looking like a granny. No baggy black dresses and orthopedic shoes yet!
I will add that I took very good care of my skin and I don't have any wrinkles. I'm very healthy looking. I used to smoke but gave those bad boys up.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join