It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
A Florida resident has died after contracting “flesh-eating bacteria,” officials confirmed Tuesday.
The unidentified patient was middle-aged and had chronic health problems, a Florida Department of Health spokesperson told MyFoxTampaBay.com.
The victim contracted the bacteria after saltwater entered an open wound, the spokesperson said. It is not clear when the incident occurred, and officials did not release what body of water the patient contracted the bacteria in.
They haven't said if its the same man we told you about yesterday who died last Friday after fishing in Santa Rosa Sound last week..
Read More at: www.weartv.com...
Santa Rosa Co. confirms first case of flesh-eatin
V. vulnificus is in the same family as the bacteria that causes cholera, and is halophilic, meaning it requires a salty environment.
28th case of 'flesh-eating bacteria' confirmed in Florida; 9 dead so far
There is now one confirmed case of the flesh eating bacteria Vibrio Vulnificus in Mobile County.
Mobile County now has confirmed case of Vib l
There are now 32 confirmed cases in Florida and 10 deaths. There is one reported case in Escambia County and one death in Santa Rosa and one death in Okaloosa Counties. There are also two reported cases in Mobile County.
Vibrio Vulnificus Bacteria cases continue to rise Read More at: www.weartv.com...
“Since it is naturally found in warm marine waters, people with open wounds can be exposed to Vibrio vulnificus through direct contact with seawater,” the Florida Department of Health said in a statement.
The infection can also be transmitted through eating or handling contaminated oysters and other shellfish, according to the CDC.
Warm Water Sparks Flesh-Eating Disease Warning in Florida
A 9-year-old Johnson County girl is the latest victim of Naegleria fowleri, a brain-eating amoeba that lurks in warm, standing water. The girl died July 9 from primary amoebic meningoencephalitis, an extremely rare but almost invariably fatal brain infection.
Warm Weather Stirs Up Brain-Eating Amoeba Warning