It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some good news from Fukushima Daiichi

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   
So the Fuel removal from Unit 4 is almost complete. Now I know the situation over there is still dire and not a good situation to be in but one of the main things every one was concerned about (Collapse reactor building Uint 4) is almost not an issue any more. The main worry was that Unit 4 had 1,331 spent fuel assemblies in its fuel pool. If the building were to collapse all of those spent fuel rod would be exposed to the air heat up and eventually catch on fire. The release or radioactive isotopes would be far worse than the original accident it self. Well There were 1,331 spent fuel assemblies now there are only 165 left in the fuel pool. They have only managed to remove 22 unspent fuel assemblies and there are still 180 left in the fuel pool but these assemblies are much less worrisome sense they are not producing decay heat and do not have the risk of catching fire. They stopped operations on July 1 for inspection of the crane they use to hoist the fuel but plan to resume operations in September and plan to have all of the fuel removed by the end of this year or beginning of next. Now 165 spent fuel assemblies is still a lot and it would still have consequences for the environment if the building were to collapse, but it is far better than 1,331. Also there is still a lot of fuel int units 3, 2, 1 but it is far less than what was in Unit 4. There is still a lot of work to due at the site and it is still a danger to humanity but Ill take what i can get when it come to good new pertaining to Fukushima. We all owe a little thanks to the ground workers at Fukushima Daiichi that risk there lives to clean up this mess. Also note for thought Most nuclear plants in the US have a lot more spent fuel in the pools than Unit 4 at Daiichi did, so maybe its time we start working on a solution to this problem.

www.tepco.co.jp...

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It's a start and it is good news, but what the hell took them so long.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I don't know why, but I still have a hard time believing any "good news" coming out of TEPCO. Maybe it has something to do with the years of cover ups and mistakes from them.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It's taken till now to get this far because they had a lot to accomplish. First they had to demolish the top of the building and remove all of the debris. Than they had to build another building on the side and over the top of the existing building (which they are currently starting to due for Unit 3) and then they had to remove 1188 fuel assemblies which they started last Nov. I believe. All while in a radioactively contaminated environment and addressing a hole other plethora of problems that have been springing up on the site. I've say they got it done pretty fast considering all of that.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: trontech

Well they have posted pictures and videos of them removing the fuel so IDK. Yeah I'm skeptical of Tepco to but there are nuclear inspectors from the IAEA and NRC and they let press into the building so I don't think they are lying about this.

photo.tepco.co.jp...

photo.tepco.co.jp...

photo.tepco.co.jp...

But you are entitled to believe what you want to believe.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: BGTM90
a reply to: rickymouse

It's taken till now to get this far because they had a lot to accomplish. First they had to demolish the top of the building and remove all of the debris. Than they had to build another building on the side and over the top of the existing building (which they are currently starting to due for Unit 3) and then they had to remove 1188 fuel assemblies which they started last Nov. I believe. All while in a radioactively contaminated environment and addressing a hole other plethora of problems that have been springing up on the site. I've say they got it done pretty fast considering all of that.

I read something a while back but do not know for sure if it was real, I can't remember the source. It went something like this.

Some radiation organization governing the movement of nuclear materials changed the required procedure and the new transportation equipment hadn't been invented yet so they were stuck. All the old equipment sitting idly by couldn't be used. Now, it seems like they could have made an exception in an emergency. I never got to verify this info, but the site sounded pretty legit.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Also, to add fuel to that fire, it didn't help that the Japanese government passed its secrecy law when people started to really dig into what was going on in Fukushima.

Thank goodness for places like ATS because you never even hear mention of Fukushima on Japanese TV anymore.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: BGTM90
I searched for someone other than TEPCO reporting this and I could not find anyone. If they had the press in the building, it should be all over the place.
It will take a lot more than just one story by TEPCO for me to believe anything they say after being lied to so many times. And you would believe that because the NRC and IAEA were there they must be telling the truth. Who do you think okay'd the original story in the first place. And you too, are entitled to believe what you want.
I really would like to believe this about some good news about Fukushima but it's difficult.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: trontech
I searched for someone other than TEPCO reporting this and I could not find anyone. If they had the press in the building, it should be all over the place.
It will take a lot more than just one story by TEPCO for me to believe anything they say after being lied to so many times. And you would believe that because the NRC and IAEA were there they must be telling the truth. Who do you think okay'd the original story in the first place. And you too, are entitled to believe what you want.
I really would like to believe this about some good news about Fukushima but it's difficult.

I did not mean the press were in the building at the moment this status update was released I ment during the process of fuel removal. This is just a status update it's not some big press release. I'm sure once they are finished later this year they will make a big deal out of it. Did you check Japanese sources or just English? But like I said we are all entitled to belive what we want to.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

You didn't look very hard

cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com...

www.salon.com...

m.us.wsj.com...

As you can see they are inside unit 4 with the huge crane used to move the fuel
edit on 29-7-2014 by BGTM90 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
If true, then this extremely good! Thank goodness they are progressing.

Let's pray they can get the rest done without incident.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I was looking for something close to the date of TEPCO's release, not in the distant past. Most of articles you posted are from the start of the removal. Pont52, who posted above, is from Japan. Apparently not much is released inside Japan. I Guess I'll have to wait a few months and see if MSM picks it up.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pont52

Thank goodness for places like ATS because you never even hear mention of Fukushima on Japanese TV anymore.

You've got to be kidding?

One unverified report directly from TEPCO and you're GRATEFUL???

If there was ANY truth in this press release there would BE no new official secret's law in Japan.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

Chill out. I think he was referring to the general coverage of events at Fukushima Daiichi and not this thread specifically. From the sound of it he's on your side with the whole trusting Tepco thing. Also in the beginning the where unthruthfull about things but I can not think of one time that they lied about an accomplishment and where proven wrong. And lately the've been pretty forth coming about problems occurring ie fires leaks set back in construction/ decommissioning. Not saying that makes up for the lies but it leads me to believe them when they say they have removed fuel and have pictures and videos of them doing it and such. But as I said before believe what you want to.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   

I guess I should've mentioned every single independent news source that is attempting to cover and give some kind of insight on the Fukushima problem.

I meant that I'm grateful for these sources, including ATS, who give some kind of insight on the situation. I live in Japan now, and there is absolutely no coverage (as far as I know) on TV about Fukushima lately.

The most popular TV news source here, NHK, is state-ran news, therefore I wouldn't expect to see anything from those guys; however, there are other news sources (again speculation) such as Asahi and Suntory that are failing to effectively report, or not report at all, Fukushima's status.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I guess I should've mentioned every single independent news source that is attempting to cover and give some kind of insight on the Fukushima problem.

I meant that I'm grateful for these sources, including ATS, who give some kind of insight on the situation. I live in Japan now, and there is absolutely no coverage (as far as I know) on TV about Fukushima lately.

The most popular TV news source here, NHK, is state-ran news, therefore I wouldn't expect to see anything from those guys; however, there are other news sources (again speculation) such as Asahi and Suntory that are failing to effectively report, or not report at all, Fukushima's status.

You are getting more dis-information than information ESPECIALLY here at ATS.

TEPCO has released photos supposedly of the interior of reactor building #4 which bear NO resemblance to the outside of the severely damaged building.

The largest and most expensive cover-up in the world is being perpetrated on it's citizens and if you are hearing a lone voice of reassurance from TEPCO you can be certain it's part of the manufactured truth.

There is information getting through, but none of it's from sources mentioned in this thread.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Psynic

TEPCO has released photos supposedly of the interior of reactor building #4 which bear NO resemblance to the outside of the severely damaged building.

The largest and most expensive cover-up in the world is being perpetrated on it's citizens and if you are hearing a lone voice of reassurance from TEPCO you can be certain it's part of the manufactured truth.

There is information getting through, but none of it's from sources mentioned in this thread.

Can you please post these pictures and source them? What this building looks like and the pictures from inside the building that is supposedly not it. Thank you.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
They've irradiated the Northern Hemisphere. Boy, am I grateful.

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

What a subjective statement... anyways, until you show us your sources and info I think we can also consider your own info as disinformation. I understand what you are saying, but I don't think you get what I am saying... I am grateful for SOME kind of news on Fukushima, even if it's incorrect it gives people a chance to discuss it, and/or disprove it.
I never said I trusted TEPCO, but until someone proves they're lying about their progress, I can only take their word for it.
Now... lets see your sources and information please...
edit on -05:002014731! by Pont52 because: plox

edit on -05:002014731! by Pont52 because: no reason

edit on -05:002014731! by Pont52 because: final draft!

posted on Jul, 29 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

Actually we kind of did it. The reactors and the site was designed by GE. Those are american reactors. GE was the one who decided to build the reactors on a lower level. And were the people that put the cooling pumps next to the ocean and not use the more expensive submersible pump when it was well known japan had a history of large Tsunamis and earth quakes.They were also the people who put the diesel generators in the basement. And lets not forget the 1000 plus atomic bombs we detonated. And when I said we should thenk them I was referring to the people on the ground doing the grueling dangerous work everyday and had nothing to do with the accident. Its the least we can do. I don't see any one on here volunteering to go over there to work on the site or even coming up with ideas of how to help.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join