It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crocodiles are able to climb trees

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

My memory could be playing games with me but I'd swear there was a thread on here, a year or so ago, with pics. Or at least one pic. I do remember seeing at least one pic, but I also remember the Berestain Bears being the Berenstein Bears, so, like I said, my memory could be faulty.

Try the search, it may or may not work.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
"There aren't any vultures in this part of the island? I don't like vultures."

"Nah, the crocodiles ate all the vultures".

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

F&S&
but I want more pics!

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
The fact that there aren't any photos of crocodiles climbing trees in any of those articles (and the fact that, as far as I remember, their spines don't bent backwards to allow them start to climb a vertical tree or any other object) makes me think that this is not really confirmed in any way.

Well, you can read the articles. Do you think someone placed them int he trees, where we have the pics? They don't say "vertical trees"; just trees, which has already been discussed. A crocodilian up any tree is pretty wild, IMO.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: tippo
Basic understanding of the laws of physics would denote a croc can NOT climb up a vertical tree trunk. They can however walk along a log

Therefore if a croc is chasing you - the best thing to do is zigzag as it is hard for it to change course. But if you can find a tree in time and get up it then it is not going to be coming up after you.

Thanks for the laugh though OP

Ah, but that's the catch. The trees I'd be likely to be able to climb, they can get up as well.
All in all, I think I'll just avoid swamps.

YW; been laughing about this since reading it.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sinter Klaas

Actually meat is a source of protein, and even plants developed ways to consume animal life, living in soil deprived of the necessary nutrients to survive.

Animals like cows use bacteria to pre digest their diet, because grass isn't very digestible, this system is also their source of proteins, as the bacteria used to digest their food becomes another ingredient after, providing them with a limitless supply of proteins.
I also observed a cow nible on a baby chick before swallowing it...

Now that's a weird one! A cow eating a chick??? Wow......

Still, the hippo thing was pretty bizarre, especially since they are so dangerous.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: pronto

G, day mate .yes you are correct i have seen a croc laying on/along tree branch hanging over the fitzroy river up cooktown way
It was watching the barra swim past.
it then slid off the tree branch plunging into the water and resurfaced with a massive
barra in its jaws
the branch must have been about 6 foot of the ground and about 8 foot above the river level
left me gob smacked.
an old croc shooter told tnat crocs could climb but I never expected to see the truth of his statement

I have to ask....what's a "barra"? Other than croc dinner. I'd have been pretty shocked as well, seeing that! Old croc shooter would know, though, eh? Otherwise, might not live to be old.

G, day again we the 4 of us guessed the croc was about 12 foot and the event took place back in 1972

That's no small croc, though down there, I guess it seems about normal! 12 foot croc, six feet up a tree. bizarre!

I wonder what other stories a fellow like that old shooter might have! Bet he's got some pretty good tales, collected over the years.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
It's a known fact that gators climb trees in the deep south. They have Tupperware parties too.(don't tell anybody)

But seriously, This has been known for a long, long time.

Well, I am Southern, but not from an area with gators, so that could explain why I never heard of that! All those wildlife shows, and not one mention or video of a gator or croc up a tree. I feel gyped......how did they never show that??? Seems so relevant.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Now that I can believe. Seen some come out of the water after prey (in videos, not in person), and they can get pretty high doing that. Apex predators, for certain. Add going up some trees, and their long life and how much they can learn in all that time, and they are fearsome beasts!

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Then why no photos?

Correction: why there are only photos with them on low or easy accessible branches? I don't call that "tree climbing".

Not like a cat or bear, as far as we have seen, but way up even a sloped tree is still pretty handy for a predator one expects to see in water or on land. I'd love to know why there aren't more pics of them like this myself. Avid wildlife video fan, and never heard of this before.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Well, if there is a thread, I didn't locate it searching. The articles aren't new, though, and you could have seen them that far back, I think. I want pics of one 32 feet up, like it's stated they have been seen! That would be something other than just a slope, most likely.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
"There aren't any vultures in this part of the island? I don't like vultures."

"Nah, the crocodiles ate all the vultures".

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Too funny.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

F&S&
but I want more pics!

Thanks.

Me, too! Most I can locate are on small sloped trees, near the ground. I did locate this one, though, of a gator virtually upright -

...and this one of a croc up a bit higher than some -

...which comes with an article -

Climbing crocs survey territory from above

That article does say what I suspected; that size is a factor in how high they can go.
edit on 27-7-2014 by LadyGreenEyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Yeh, I have seen a 3 metre crock climb a tree on the East Alligator up in Arnhem, just like a ta ta lizard would, I couldnt believe how fast it got to the upper branches, agility was amazing.
Have a video and will upload it when I get it from the ex wifes house

What was more amazing was how it started to climb down the tree before diving of a branch and

Its not true

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Then why no photos?

Correction: why there are only photos with them on low or easy accessible branches? I don't call that "tree climbing".

I have no idea but back in the 80's when I was visiting some family down there I was told about this. It seemed to be common knowledge. They didn't say how high they climbed, that I remember, but I took "climbing trees" meant climbing trees.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I did locate some video.

This one discusses the climbing, and also mentions a very neat hunting trick - tools!

This one is more for laughs -

And, for those that don't think they can climb vertically, think again!

I have actually seen a gator up a wall, at a zoo. All but the tail was vertical, and it was below a guy holding his small child, neither of whom noticed that one. One slip, I am sure, is all that gator wanted. Vertical, though.

Food for thought?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Then why no photos?

I have no idea but back in the 80's when I was visiting some family down there I was told about this. It seemed to be common knowledge. They didn't say how high they climbed, that I remember, but I took "climbing trees" meant climbing trees.

I suspect that a lot of people simply weren't carrying cameras. Before cell phone days, how many people actually did, even when on vacation? I do take pictures, a lot, but never really see that many people doing it, and back in the pre-cell days, it was even less common. Plus, if hunters mostly saw them, how often would they have a camera, instead of a gun?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

G,day mate
ok cooktown is in far northern Queensland
barra is short for barramundi its a native fish
and they are a prized game fish

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: pronto

G,day mate
ok cooktown is in far northern Queensland
barra is short for barramundi its a native fish
and they are a prized game fish

Ah! Suspected a fish, since they were swimming. Fishing from a tree......I wonder if I'd tangle less line that way than I do now?

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

There's a pic at this link, not sure if it's what I saw before. Not 32 feet up but it is a croc in a tree. I see you got some pics also. Looks like they all are in short trees.

www.csmonitor.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join