It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crocodiles are able to climb trees

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I came across this one while hunting for something completely different, and thought at first, "This can't be right!"

Crocodiles are able to climb trees

Researchers have discovered that crocodiles and alligators are remarkably adept at climbing up trees. The next time you find yourself being pursued by one of these carnivorous reptiles and decide to attempt an escape by climbing up a tree you might want to reconsider. Despite possessing none of the anatomic adaptations typical of animals that grip tree trunks and hold on to branches, crocodiles have been sighted on numerous occasions at the tops of trees up to 32ft off the ground.

Well, I did a simple web search, and sure enough, it's legit!!!

So, Turns Out Crocodiles Can Climb Trees

Crikey! Crocodiles Can Climb Trees

Crocodilians can climb trees and bask in the tree crowns

How, I ask, is this even fair?!?!? so much for climbing a tree to get away from Gustav! Better learn to fly, instead!

Bigger question; how did they not know this sooner?!?!?!?!?!

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Whats more shocking is that things with 4 legs can climb trees somehow evades human understanding.

"But it aint got no fingers hows it gunna hold on heeeeerrrrrrrrrp".

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch
Whats more shocking is that things with 4 legs can climb trees somehow evades human understanding.

"But it aint got no fingers hows it gunna hold on heeeeerrrrrrrrrp".

Oh, that's not a shock; the big deal to me is how did anyone NOT know this before??? All the studies on these animals,a and no one mentions that they climb trees?? Not all animals can. How many horror movies with gators and crocs have we seen, with people climbing to get away? Heck, I had dreams about that a couple of times, climbing trees (in a mall; don't ask me why...) to get away from gators. Even bigger monitor lizards can't climb trees, but crocodilians can? That is SO not fair.

Then again, this isn't as weird as this story -
Do hippos eat meat?

Amazing how little we know about things we think we know so well.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
You want to see something climb a tree...like 3 seconds & your done.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Hmmm...looks more like they are walking along tree branches that grow outwards from the river bank to me.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BABYBULL24

Nice video! The guy probably needed clean shorts, but still.

Of course, we all know most bears can climb quite easily.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Yes, for the most part. Still, the one article from Wired states they have been seen as high as 32 ft. up. Quite a distance, that! It would be quite a shock to have one come down on your head, i imagine! They are threatening enough on land and in water, as far as I am concerned.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Is sitting on low lying branches above waterways really considered to be "climbing" trees?

Why no photos or videos of them climbing or sitting in high branches?

Not that I doubt their ability to do so; after all, they're just big lizards, and a lot of lizards can climb trees.

posted on Jul, 26 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: antoinemarionette

Well, the folks writing the articles seem to think so. I'd call that a bit different than climbing a straight tree, of course. They do state most are seen fairly low, and I suspect if we did get pics of higher ones, it would be very young and small specimens. My guess is that the larger they are, the harder it would be, just as with the monitor lizards. Young komodos can climb well, but bigger ones can't. Still pretty wild, though. I can just see this being used in some horror flick, with a big gator or croc dropping on someone's head.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Nice video! The guy probably needed clean shorts, but still.

Of course, we all know most bears can climb quite easily.

The best is the bear scares the crap out of him & than they head right for his tent to mess that up too.

Those gators are like standing on brush piles maybe they ain't climbing no trees.
lol

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   

The bear would have scared me, too!

Still, even if all they do is go up the sloped trunks, it's possible one could get above your head and drop....not a pleasant thought! Any time I am in such an area, I am going to be looking up more! Well, I do that anyway, really. Just the idea of a croc up a tree, however it got there, is wild.

Bears can be scary, though. We used to camp in the Cherokee National Forest, and many years later, I caught a news story about a little girl killed by a bear, VERY near where we always were. That was thought provoking! Never saw one as a kid, but we knew they could be around.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The fact that there aren't any photos of crocodiles climbing trees in any of those articles (and the fact that, as far as I remember, their spines don't bent backwards to allow them start to climb a vertical tree or any other object) makes me think that this is not really confirmed in any way.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Basic understanding of the laws of physics would denote a croc can NOT climb up a vertical tree trunk. They can however walk along a log

Therefore if a croc is chasing you - the best thing to do is zigzag as it is hard for it to change course. But if you can find a tree in time and get up it then it is not going to be coming up after you.

Thanks for the laugh though OP

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

Actually meat is a source of protein, and even plants developed ways to consume animal life, living in soil deprived of the necessary nutrients to survive.

Animals like cows use bacteria to pre digest their diet, because grass isn't very digestible, this system is also their source of proteins, as the bacteria used to digest their food becomes another ingredient after, providing them with a limitless supply of proteins.
I also observed a cow nible on a baby chick before swallowing it...

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

G, day mate .yes you are correct i have seen a croc laying on/along tree branch hanging over the fitzroy river up cooktown way
It was watching the barra swim past.
it then slid off the tree branch plunging into the water and resurfaced with a massive
barra in its jaws
the branch must have been about 6 foot of the ground and about 8 foot above the river level
left me gob smacked.
an old croc shooter told tnat crocs could climb but I never expected to see the truth of his statement

edit on 27-7-2014 by pronto because: spelling

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

G, day again
we the 4 of us guessed the croc was about 12 foot and the event took place back in 1972

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It's a known fact that gators climb trees in the deep south. They have Tupperware parties too.(don't tell anybody)

But seriously, This has been known for a long, long time.
edit on 27-7-2014 by Fylgje because: typo

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I understand they can jump up to 9 feet up-and out as well!

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
But seriously, This has been known for a long, long time.

Then why no photos?

Correction: why there are only photos with them on low or easy accessible branches? I don't call that "tree climbing".

edit on 27/7/2014 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join