It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Times calls for end to Marijuana prohibition

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Sounds like the NY Times' friends are in the wings ready and waiting so that they can be the ones selling it and controlling the farms and the flow. Lets see who owns the biggest dispensaries in every state. HINT: It won't be the potheads who've grown it all their lives

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Beside some problems and wrongs that go on in your country.
I've always been jealous of you been permitted to have guns, and now you can also have weed legal? damn

I live in such a #ty country that my aunt who has a boutique was persecuted and arrested just for the import of clothes made from herb!

When some healthy minded politicians suggested that the laws should be less harsh for those caught with a small amount of weed everyone attacked them and they accused them for wanted to make Greece full of junkies!
Now if you are caught with a 2 kilos of heroine or 10 grs of weed the charges will be pretty much the same.

You should apreciate that you live in a free country, and keep fighting for your freedom.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiedDestructor

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: Aleister

I had this conversation with my cousin who lives up by DC last night we both came to the same conclusion as the article did.

We recognize that this Congress is as unlikely to take action on marijuana as it has been on other big issues. But it is long past time to repeal this version of Prohibition.

Maybe if Congress were to partake a little of said marijuana they'd get a little creative and get s# done.

I have to agree wholeheartedly!!!! LMAO

Yes big pharma will be hurt, but some people with chemical imbalances that has tried everything big pharma has to offer,

and had noting but ill side affects, lost jobs, friends........you get the point.

I know some people who are just meaner than #, defensive, and just down right nasty......they partake, and it is like

Jeckyl and Hyde. some people, it might have the reverse affect on, what I mean, if said person partakes, they do not

just sit on the couch and veg out, it actually motivates them.

But we all know that wouldn't happen.

They couldn't decide on who to pass it to next.

Times a changin' though; and for that I'm thrilled.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Aleister......long time no see, and you have quite a gem here. If only it would happen. please read the post above this one. My reply is in the quote, it does that sometimes. Is it gonna happen, probably not, could we all hope, of course.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I wish. This would sure free up space in the prison system. Free up court docket activity for real criminals. We need to unclog the system.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The US has been politically influential for decades and, I think, partially responsible for the same prohibitions across Europe. If that's in anyway true, as soon as the US changes policy, Europe should follow soon after. Most of the world could have relaxed approaches within the next 5 years

My days of usage are long past so it won't affect me at all. It'll still be better off as legal/decriminalised than black market. However I'm also young/old enough to have seen the way the superskunk strains have had some negative effects on people (young and old) who I know well. The incidence of psychosis has risen which makes me suspect that some legal limits will be set regarding how intoxicating it can be.

Legal limits are green lights for black market supply and demand.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
It sure isn't legal in the states, so anyone who says their country is so far behind the states should realize that only two states have it for sale legally, with a couple more maybe after this November's elections. And none of those states, as far as I know, has anything like equality to beer and other spirit drinkers, who can meet up at a neighborhood spot and partake with their friends as well as strangers. When those type of places open then it will seem like equality, and not before.

As for lazy people sitting on a couch, the ones who are lazy and sit on couches will continue to do so. I've said for a long time that Cheech and Chong were one of the worse things for marijuana legalization - a stereotype on the same order of magnitude as Steppin' Fetchit and Amos and Andy portraying the typical black folks in American media.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: thepolish1

And good to "see" you too. Yes, any move in the direction of equality is a move in the direction of human progress. So if the vote goes state by state (2016 should have quite a few states voting, especially if Oregon and Alaska pass the issue with a good percentage of yes votes).

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Has anyone heard any feedback on the editorial stand, from cable talking head shows or otherwise? Thanks.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Interesting... William Randolph Hearst used the leading New York newspaper of the time (The New York Journal) to spread his anti-marijuana propaganda. It's kind of ironic that the same city is now calling for the exact opposite.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: teamcommander

That sounds like a lot of work when they could just legalize it for possession and use for people 21 and over like it should be. People using marijuana already don't listen to the law, what makes your think they'll jump through bureaucratic hoops so that they can grow and use it legally? They just won't bother and do it anyways.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Interesting... William Randolph Hearst used the leading New York newspaper of the time (The New York Journal) to spread his anti-marijuana propaganda. It's kind of ironic that the same city is now calling for the exact opposite.

Good point. Now if the Washington Post gets on board it will have the support of two of the tree-based major newspapers. When my neighborhood shopper sheet starts to advocate an end to prohibition I'll know Ken Burns is up for another documentary.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
And here's a Los Angeles Times story referencing the New York Times editorial,

www.latimes.com...=1

The status quo, according to advocates and even the president, has resulted in the disproportionate arrests of minorities and the poor.

"The social costs of the marijuana laws are vast," the editorial said. "There were 658,000 arrests for marijuana possession in 2012, according to FBI figures, compared with 256,000 for coc aine, heroin and their derivatives. Even worse, the result is racist, falling disproportionately on young black men, ruining their lives and creating new generations of career criminals."

These are not new arguments. But this time they come from the New York Times, not High Times.

Support for marijuana legalization has grown so rapidly within the last decade, and especially within the last two years, that some advocates and pollsters have compared it with the sudden collapse of opposition to same-sex marriage as a culture-redefining event.

edit on 28-7-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-7-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
The momentum is just beginning, and it is about time.

It is no longer politiclly incorrect to support legality.

Mexico is literally reeling economiclly already and word has it the Cartels are looking for new markets North of the Border in canada where the legalisation issue had lagged and is being ignored,this would be a tradgedy after the Americans snuffed the Cartels cash flow in the US, hoefully we can see a North American agreement that completely disables the Cartels,as it looks now Canadas Prime Minister Harper must supprt the mexican Cartels and their way of making money off of Illegal drug sales because he is not keeping Canada in line with the times and in doing so he is making the Canadian People vulnerable to the criminal impacts that America just put a stop to.Harper is selling out his own Country and setting the table for the provision of an alternative market for mexican drugs.

I do not want to see the muders and damage that has now been stopped in the US come North of the Border and it looks like Harper is trying to set this dynamic into play for some odd reason.

No odd reason at all. What better way to destabilize the most stable country on earth, then to pander to drug cartels by not legalizing marijuana. I may even vote this next election just to oust Harper and his minions.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

This is already happening in Florida with the Charlotte's Web strain. I have a friend who in the plant nursery business and looked into what it would take to get a license. It is impossible for the little guy to get a license to grow, when the full medical bill passes, I imagine they will attempt to do the same for those who wish to grow it legally.

Here is the thing, these state run grow operation will NOT be able to produce the quality that is in demand. The 'potheads' you mentioned still will very much be in business.
edit on 28-7-2014 by jrod because: 321

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Pimpintology

Some will argue the system makes too much. I am familiar with a court room for the wrong reasons and while I have never been busted for illegal drugs I know what happens in Florida when someone is busted for simple possession. It is a huge money maker for the court system and legal industry. Yet another reason in my opinion prohibition has lasted so long.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Marijuana will be legalized before there is a comprehensive immigration policy in this country.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The USA today recently had an article opposed to legalization. Interesting timing.

I am thinking they are hoping to use legalization as a polarizing issue in the upcoming election. In 2016 I think we will have a legitimate presidential candidate talking about it.

No doubt in my mind the puppet masters want to use this as a polarizing issue. Divide and conquer 101.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

It's time for the government to end the prohibition, leave it at a state level. The courts and prison systems are congested with marijuana crimes, prohibition would clear that mess up.

Legalization would crate jobs and taxes, lots and lots of taxes. It's time end the nonsense.

posted on Jul, 28 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: Pimpintology

Some will argue the system makes too much. I am familiar with a court room for the wrong reasons and while I have never been busted for illegal drugs I know what happens in Florida when someone is busted for simple possession. It is a huge money maker for the court system and legal industry. Yet another reason in my opinion prohibition has lasted so long.

The main reason is suppression of MJs Parasite killing ability, the secondary issue is Industrisial espionage keeping Hemp off the market, the third is that MJ laws filled the prison for profit empire Nancy Reagan was so invested in at one time,it was all a structured play.

TPTB TRY TO Control the masses by using their health,energy and social stability , and MJ is involved in every level of this conspiracy which has been going on for decades and centuries.

The REAl hidden topic is how legalisation completely disenfranchises the Medical perspective of MJ and encourages people to smoke it enmasse and to overlook the real benefits and potentials of the natural resource.Will Medical patients be able to get their insurance companied to PAY FOR THE MEDICAL MARIJUANE NOW,forget it TPTB have disenfanchised this possibility.Everything that CAN BE DONE to slow down full and complete disclosure surrounding MJ and its impacts is STILL being done, things are being engineered to help Big Pharma out and not screw with that income source,we now know which one is the most important to TPTB dont we?

You decide where TPTB made the most money, Big Pharma - killing us all softly.....or from Big Oil - destroying our Planet..... or prisons for profit....killing our Spirits and Unity.......or by using Mj as a Gateway drug to push the coc aine and Heroine they are famous for making Trillions of dollars off of.They have been playing ALL ends of the specrum but are now BUSTED and will never walk away from the current dynamics intact to repeat this mess again in the future by propogating their belief systems and IMPOSING THEM ON PEOPLE.

Mainstream Media is all owned by TPTB and I hope NO ONE pays attention to the propoganda, no one in our families allows their kids to watch the Mainstream News anymore,there is to much propoganda spouted out directly at vulnerable minds,the kids, and I feel fortunate because in most families it is the PARENTS who are more vulnerable than the kids.

Try sittiing down to educate a group of Baby Boomers on ANYTHING new and they FALL BACK ON MAINSTREAM MEDIA for their lives,they are absolutely brainwashed.

But once you show them the things that have been done Globally and WHO did them,they all recognise the style and become infuriated,all Boomers need to know is that now that they are all old their filthy few rich friends have screwed them all,just a few Boomers now hold all the money but ALL of the Boomers made it happen for the filthy few ultra-rich,as soon was the seniors become educated things will change for the good.

Oh yes the MJ issue hits home with TPTB all right.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join