It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hatred Is Destroying Us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
All the hate in the world saddens me immensely. There is seemingly nowhere to turn anymore without seeing some form of it, even in children's fare. There's always going to be the sports brand of unbearable distaste for someone rooting for the other team (or the other team itself), but fortunately that is most often tempered with a pinch of common sense and/or at least a modicum of tolerance. Everyone north of the Mason Dixon is expected to "hate" Texas or Texans, but this also is understood to be somewhat deserved or accepted as an intangible sensation and not necessarily a true passion.

Besides, it's not our fault that God made Texas better than the rest of the world. But, I digress.......

What I struggle with is the large portion of the population that seemingly cannot function daily without a tangible concrete target at which to hurl their bottomless contempt. There are two that rule the airwaves and news outlets today. Racism and the liberal-conservative polar opposites. I was adopted as an infant and as was the custom of that period those records have been sealed all of my life. I will never know if I am Caucasian, Hispanic, Black, Martian, or whatever. However, as I have a darker complexion than a lot of people, it has often been assumed I am of some Spanish heritage. As my adoptive parents were about as white as they could get, that was the culture I was raised in. The result was the Hispanics would discriminate against me because they believed I obviously preferred to be white, and the whites who harbored ill will towards the Hispanics included me. I have therefore spent my life at odds with basically all races and a true outsider. Be very certain that I was taught from the first moment I can remember that any form of racism or intolerance of people or cultures different from my own experience was unacceptable on every level. If anyone has a "right" to discriminate, I stake my claim against all races.

But I don't believe a word of that.

I believe we were all created equal just like my adoptive parents said we were. I believe I had to work for all I have and when things haven't gone my way I had the ability to overcome and more times than not, it was my own doing. I am aware of instances where race was used against me, but I never, ever dwelled on that. Those individuals owed me nothing, and I returned their hatred with compassion. Oddly, the ones who would never change their views had more trouble with my attitude than if I had leashed out in retaliation. The ones who paid attention sometimes made life altering decisions. Not because of me, but because of what was right and what was wrong.

I am not ashamed to say that I do have some prejudice in me, though. I have a great intolerance for bigots and racists but I will still turn the other cheek as long as I live. My personal morality has nothing to do with their opinion of me. I have seen repeatedly how greeting "hatred" with" love" is by far the best opportunity to help them see room for improvement in themselves. Of course, I can always do a little better myself so maybe we can all win.

Liberals/conservatives? Isn't there enough things in this world to debate and gnash teeth over without this blind pathway? It seems to me that over the last five, ten, maybe fifteen years this void has become wider by the moment. No longer can a societal or political disagreement over values or beliefs be settled over a spirited but civil debate. Instead, it's my way or no way and never the twain shall meet. I still struggle to comprehend hatred of a church or Christians solely because they have beliefs. If a Christian or follower of God as I know Him cannot understand that not everyone is going to see the world through their eyes and just move on in a constructive manner, then they are not conducting themselves in the manner required to be called "Christian". These people are inviting criticism. This still does not allow for open season on Christians from the opposite viewpoint. If you don't want God in your life, then why can't you accept that others may? Acceptance. Tolerance. That's ultimately what you want, right? Give and receive.

We are a diverse people. Personally, though I am probably considered a staunch conservative and Republican, I strongly disagree with the proliferation of guns. But that is MY decision for MY family and I don't expect you to live your life just to please me. If you want guns in your home, that is your decision. We may not spend a lot of time in each other's houses but we can get beyond this. We need to be better than that. I look at the political landscape the US government and I almost lose all hope. The Republican and Democrat hierarchy is unquestionably holding our nation hostage refusing to budge on even the smallest of issues. We are currently paying millions upon millions in the executive and legislative branches for next to zero return. There is not the slightest hint of even bringing desperately needed legislation to a vote because the Republican controlled House knows the Democratic controlled Senate will not pass the same bill. Although, as I have stated, I am correctly identified as Republican, it worries me to think that Republicans could take control of both houses in November and then bulldoze over what's left of the Constitution because there won't be enough votes to stop them. These people were elected to negotiate, bargain, and settle legitimate political disputes for the benefit of those who hired them with the power of their vote. Not for bragging rights. Not for punitive reasons. Not to line their pockets or even the pockets of their specific domain. And absolutely, definitely, positively not to the detriment of the country by "leaders" too immature to acknowledge merit where it is due. I taught my children at a very young age that you don't pick your toys up and go home over a silly disagreement with their peers. I am proud to say that my fourteen year old appears to understand that better than virtually all the politicians I can think of.

What do we do? Live a moral, true to oneself life. Live a life you want your own kids to emulate and strive to leave a better place for them. True, very few if any of us will ever to make change alone. But if someone sees you living your life honorably maybe they will want some of that contented peace of mind. They can be an example for the next person, then the next cycle begins, and so on and so on. If your children or your legacy aren't enough reason for you to live a life of acceptance then find something that is. I want to believe that no rational person wants to heap more misery on themselves and their family than life is capable of bringing without pouring coal on that fire. If every good, almost good, potentially good, or even moderately possibly good person were to live their lives with integrity and abandoning hatred for hatred's sake then the world could be a much different place as early as tomorrow. If not, we work towards the day after and never surrender until we get there.

The people I choose as close friends have this character. Do you?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I dont know about us per se but its destroying Gaza thats for sure.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I agree completely

I personally believe that we are taught to hate
From our first day of school, to our last, and then in the workplace, our community and through television.

Of course most of the lessons are hidden under the guise of competition and false history documentation.

We never realize it as being hatred, as we are a also taught that it's wrong to hate.

Its often so deep rooted into our psyche that most of don't see what's going on until our veil has been lifted.
Until we can all appreciate humanity as people first, and race and religious belief second, then hatred will be our demise.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: samstone11

My question, how many people really have common sense nowadays? Not many. I just wish people could treat other people how they should be treated. Violence is not the answer. Peace isn't really the answer either. Just really common sense. People like to talk # about my generation(80s) , but it seems we have more common sense and morals out of any generation recently, for the most part. You are always going to have assholes or pricks. . Pardon me, no offense.
edit on 0Fri, 25 Jul 2014 00:20:10 -050020142025520f202014-07-25T00:20:10-05:00 by GroidNificent because: auto correct on phone

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: samstone11

Very nicely said.

The people I choose as close friends have this character. Do you?

Absolutely. Probably the reason why I can count my 'close friends' on the fingers of one hand.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
There is a lot more love than hate in this world, especially in America. Our hate is reserved for the tyrannical elites that lie and deceive the public every chance they get. Unfortunately, we take it out on each other.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I'm refreshed in knowing the OP and the posters feel as i do.

One of the major steps in TPTB is for us to be divided, and hate each other. Unfortunately, too many are unaware.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: caged66
Some people are not taught to hate but come by it naturally by being ..."oppressed".
I would not confuse hatred with a realistic wholly honest sense of vigilance.
If I were being circled by sharks I would not hate them, but I would understand why they were there.

posted on Jul, 27 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: revolution2016

What planet do you live on?
edit on 27-7-2014 by RexPlex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join