It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The solar storm of 2012 that almost sent us back to a post-apocalyptic Stone Age

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Very nice! So the Mayans ALMOST had it right LOL

Star and Flag for ye sir! Thank ye!

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

we would not be shooting each other's planes down

Umm..no, we would be killing each other for food and resources. That's a better situation? hmm no!

I have grandchildren. I would prefer they not grow up in a post-apocalyptic world, thank you.

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: mwood

I understand what you are saying, but frankly there will be so many people hunting game that we will probably wipe out any and all game species and some that are not considered game currently (dogs and cats) here in the US.

Can you imagine how many gomers will be wandering around the wilderness with guns looking for something to kill and eat?

Those who think they have the survival skills will likely find that will do them little good with millions wandering around hunting food.

One survival skill that will be needed will be how to kill people, unfortunately. Survival of the fittest will come back to visit man. It's been a long time since we have seen her around our parts.

edit on 24-7-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
deleted, cause it was crap
edit on 24/7/2014 by scubagravy because: see above

posted on Jul, 24 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
A Carrington type event could indeed result in millions of deaths, and leave those who survive in such a horrible situation that most would wish they had also died. So what we need then is not the piddly Cariington type event, but the real deal, the mega-flare-CME, with up to 10 million times the energy output of anything observed from our Sun. And likely that would be a full spherical CME, so all the planets would get a pounding. Maybe that's what happened to Mars? No suffering after one of those...

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The threat from solar flares is very real and one we need to monitor closely, even though there's nothing we can do to prevent them. I strongly believe that the last ice age was caused by a solar flare, but back then people weren't reliant on satellites for just about everything, like we are now. Imagine what would happen if the world had no electricity for just one week. It would be chaos. Then theorists estimate that it would be 10 years to get the grid back up and running, scary. It's only a matter of time before it happens, too.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
It´s a damn shame that
this did not happen.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
What does this get you, two years ago something could have happened but it didn't..

I love the people on this post that somehow think large scale power loss would be a good thing because you know if a CME knocked out all the power in the world (which wouldnt happen) things would all of the sudden be like we are hanging out in The Shire at Bag End.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
things would all of the sudden be like we are hanging out in The Shire at Bag End.

LOL love it! Double star for that!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

So the Mayan prophecy of 2012 was *almost* true?

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

LOL that is EXACTLY what I said

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite
I gotta admit I laughed pretty loud at that, and got some funny looks

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
can humans live without nuclear plants?
and if we can, then why dont we close them.
better be safe than sorry

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: adnanmuf

Nope... we need nuclear energy so the aliens will come and visit us occasionally.

There have been more people killed in coal mines than by Nuclear plants. Nuclear energy is da bomb!!

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Heard about a recent study on EMP effects on cars - can't find it now but most cars will NOT be affected by a EMP burst/solar flare. They may shut off temporarily during the event but will restart with little to no damage to the electronics - evidently cars are well insulated from EMP.

So you could have a Road Warrior scenario on your hands.
edit on 25-7-2014 by BABYBULL24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: BABYBULL24
Heard about a recent study on EMP effects on cars - can't find it now but most cars will NOT be affected by a EMP burst/solar flare. They may shut off temporarily during the event but will restart with little to no damage to the electronics - evidently cars are well insulated from EMP.

So you could have a Road Warrior scenario on your hands.

nop, you have to buy a new piece and install it at the mechanic
good luck not to be eaten by the mechanic.

also all wires will be fried, so you will still need to go to the Zombie mechanic, where he will barbeque you for his children Survival methods style (wood oven)

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Don't think so - buddy.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   
It’s ironic in a way. Here we are, the most powerful civilization ever, and yet the most fragile. We’ve built this incredible technological network/infrastructure, and yet it’s a house of cards that can be easily dismantled and rendered useless in a heartbeat. We can’t stop a CME event and have no adequate backup should one strike. It’s basically a crap-shoot and could happen at any time.

You know, natural systems (Earth being one) tend to seek equilibrium, and Mother Nature will find a way. I have a feeling we’ve greatly disturbed it here on this planet, and although it would be disastrous for us Humans, a CME may be one solution to striking a better balance.

I have a feeling that whether it’s through our own making or via a natural disaster, our day of reckoning will come. It could happen at any time. And for all our feelings of superiority, self-importance and enlightenment, it may very well be that our species will come and go and no one will even know that we were ever here.

Too bad we place so much more importance on our war machine and so little importance on our space program. In the end, it may be the space program that saves our species.

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   
it is the people who helped us build this fragile structure have this in mind
the devil and devil minions

posted on Jul, 25 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677
That is totally unprovable really. It's easy as hell to see the deaths caused by mining, collapses etc. But you can't really prove the deaths due to cancer or neurological impacts of living near a nuclear power plant. Meltdowns even, the deaths could go on for a long time. Think all the cancer that happened in japan after we dropped the bombs. Plus, there can be leaks from where we are storing the waste, it enters ground water and travels far away, people could never know. Lets say I am a lot happier now than I was living close to a nuclear plant.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join