It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do peole think that Jesus was god?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: roth1

His followers claim it. Jesus always said that he had the way or knew the way to god not that he was god. Christians use that idea to control their followers.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

The truth is after the fall they were no longer able to go back and forth from heaven the gods were azazels minions and were no longer able to return to heaven or to exist in physical form on earth instead they are cursed to wander the ether untill judgement...

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

1. HE said He was.

2. HE backed it up with His abundant miracles.

3. THE FATHER backed it up with Jesus' Resurrection--witnessed by more than 500 who saw Him in His Resurrection body running around loose for many days thereafter.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
The Answer to this Question. "Why do Christians believe Jesus was God " Is answered in the New Testament Holy Bible in the Book of John . Read the entire Book of John . John 3:16 . This will make your spirit cry . Jesus was always from the beginning with God . He is God and made all things and is holding every atom and molecule together with his "Dunamis" It is the Greek word for "Power" . Read the book of "Romans" in the new Testament. In the book of Isaiah in the old testament it speaks to the Messiah and there are over 300 prophecy's to who he will be. It is THE CHRIST. The whole reason Christians believe Jesus is God is because Jesus say's HE AND THE FATHER ARE ONE. For God so loved the world that he gave his only son to be sacrificed for OUR SINS. Jesus came into an earthen body to teach and suffer and die . He became half man half God. It is a wonderful mysterious mystery we mere humans will not understand . Get it through your head mere mortals . We humans are a creation. We are all different, each one of us. We are made very meticulously and with a reason . The ten Commandments were given as the LAW . The Law of God was meant to show us our sin and that we cannot be good enough TO ENTER HEAVEN AFTER DEATH . The law makes us realize our sin and that to be washed clean just admit you are a sinner and that you know THE CHRIST died and rose again and that you want to "repent" or "turn away" from your sinful life and let God remake you into the person that he meant for you to be . But he gave us all free will and we all have a choice .. The choice is simple. Live in this world as a PART of the carnal world . Or serender your soul to God and THE CHRIST You will be washed clean and made a new person . To explain this phenomenon I will tell you it is a supernatural rebirth. You will instantly know that you are a changed being . Not perfect but changed . He and the Father are one . This is why Christmas is so special . Behold the lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world . That is how much God Loves us all .

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
I'm an atheist but I can point out some passages.

"Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!
--John 8:58

And Thomas answered and said unto him, "My Lord and my God."
--John 20:28

And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, "Fear not; I am the first and the last:"
--Rev. 1:17

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
--Rev. 22:13

For context:

"Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end."

Of course there are those who argue that the text in Revelations might not refer to Jesus specifically and therefore would not be proof of divinity.

Colossians 1:15 says about Jesus
He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation

That is as clear as can be.
Jesus is the first of God's creation, all else was created after Jesus.
Brings meaning to Genesis, "Let us create Man in our image". Jesus was created in the image of God, Mankind was made in the image of Them, by Them together.

Colossians 1:16 - For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Jesus clearly has the power of creation. All else seems to be created solely by Jesus for Jesus, except Mankind from Genesis which says they created Mankind together.

John 3:35
35 The Father loves the Son and has placed everything in his hands.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MeanGuitar

You're right, MeanGuitar. After reading your post, my eyes are watering up!
cwm

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I din't read the replies to keep it honest... he said he was and is the son of God and he didn't lie.....

He simply showed you a path....one hidden and winding that leads to Father...nothing more and nothing less...proving he was a "Son of God".

We are now all priests in that order whether you agree or not by many"s perception.

I walked the road ...there's no judgement left in me....

I an not a "professed whatever any more" but I hold the priest hood from heredity and choice to a certain degree.

There are many paths leading to the one and only one filled with purifying fire(that I know of), I've gladly jumped into that fire. like I mentioned all the paths lead to the same thing and it's a matter of your honesty with yourself. Good times indeed, and a full belly lol.

Cheers!

Your premiss is sound and I agree with you totally.
edit on 14-7-2014 by Treespeaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Jesus IS in fact God...

His actions say that He WAS in fact God...

Jesus is the member of the Godhead by which ALL things were created...

In Revelation 19, there are references that read, “His name is called The Word of God.”

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.”

"The most important thing to know about this Word is found in verse 14: “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” The Word refers to Jesus Christ.

In the Beginning Was the Word

Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.”

“You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”

Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, before Abraham was born, I AM!”

At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

God was made manifest in the flesh. ~ 1 Timothy 3:16

ALL physical reality came into existence through Jesus...

...in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. ~ Heb. 1:2

But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. ~ 1 Corinthians 8:6

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ ~ Ephesians 3:9

For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. ~ Colossians 1:16-17

edit on 14-7-2014 by Murgatroid because: I felt like it..

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Christianity is based on the teachings of Jesus; but is based on the teaching of Paul who never met Jesus. The church(s) have nothing whatsoever to do with the Rabbi Jesus.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   

It is a solid theological question. I have never viewed Jesus of Nazareth as one in the same as God. At the least some could argue he was no less than a Prophet. After all, according to Christianity and other religions we are all children of God. If there is a God as religion dictates there is. Then Jesus was definitely touched by God.

I personally think Jesus was a well informed shaker and maker of the times who questioned the establishment in his day and gained support and it caused panic amongst the powers that be and the poor guy was killed for it. It's easy to see how people perceived him as dying for all of mankind's sins. In a way he did. There were those before and after him who died for pushing back and seeing a better way for everyone to be better to one another.

I think he took the teachings of various origins in his time and area and applied much of his own views and teachings to bring about change. He was a real humanitarian in a time when people suffered and lost there way in a region that endured so many difficulties.

So whether he is God or not. He is definitely at the top of the list for humanitarian of the year for the last 2000 plus years and counting. Not a bad guy to look up to and strive to be like in life.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

I Agee that the "church". Doesn't have the precepts....but to be clear.

It's written currently everywhere just about.....the real teachings and precepts, it just takes some deep looking. The real man is there, at least I see it for what it is I'm sure others do to....the rest is what follows....

Cheers

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
In this thread, there have been more than enough citations of the gospels, by believers and non-believers alike, to prove that Jesus called Himself God in the flesh. Those who remain unconvinced choose to remain unconvinced despite the scriptural evidence.

The fact that Jesus identified Himself as God is an incovenient truth in the face of those who seek to:
1). Separate the prophesies and wisdom of the OT from the NT.
2). Separate YHWH from Alpha-Omega.
3). Discredit the epistles of the Apostle Paul. 4). Discredit the Book of Revelation.
5). Discredit the concept of the Trinity.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
All my principles come from Jesus, and all the Jesus principles relate to man, and as far as I know Jesus was a man, all as written in the bible.
It then begs the question at least to me, Who is God and how to reconcile God with Jesus in your own mind?. That is not so easy. The Bible is a book, a documentary if you like, that tries to bring God and Jesus together in a way that is actually way beyond understanding, while on the other hand has the many precepts of what it is to be human, but in no way does it reconcile all that's what it is to be be no longer a human, like when we die, with any precepts, except 'up there' or 'down there for eternity' and so far removed from what Jesus would have liked.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The trinity is not scriptural and comes from pagan religion. Jesus is God's son, and not God himself.

"Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! (1 Peter 1:3) Yes the people were giving praise to YHVH, Jesus' God and father. The name Jesus, or Yeshua, means YHVH is salvation

"For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus" (1 Timothy 2:5) Is Jesus mediating between man and himself? Me thinks not. That makes no sense.

"The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him" (Revelation 1:1) Did God give himself a Revelation? I'm confused.

"The head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is man; and the head of Christ is God." (1 Corinthians 11:3) I guess now Christ is the head of himself. I'm feeling schizo right now, no wait! Jesus is not God, but his son!

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: occuluinunc

INDEED. Strobel was a thorough investigative journalist before he started investigating this issue.

He did a good job.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: 5StarOracle
a reply to: signalfire

The truth is after the fall they were no longer able to go back and forth from heaven the gods were azazels minions and were no longer able to return to heaven or to exist in physical form on earth instead they are cursed to wander the ether untill judgement...

All righty then. Do they teach that stuff in church, and do you really spend time pondering it? Yowzers.
edit on 4904117pmMondayf04Mon, 14 Jul 2014 23:04:49 -0500America/Chicago by signalfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

He absolutely did claim to be God, more than once, but here is one example from John 8:58....

Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!

If Jesus is not God, then this is terrible grammar. Only Jesus could say that and be telling the truth. To say "I am" is to say that He is the "I am" from Exodus when God told Moses "I am that I am". Jesus is the Great I am... Jesus is God, and he claimed as much more than once.

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheChrome
The trinity is not scriptural and comes from pagan religion.

Most cults will agree with you...

IF it were not scriptural, then why did the fourth century church condemn the anti-Trinity heresy?

The one thing that all cults and non-Christian religions have in common is, they all deny the deity of Christ. In John 8:24 Jesus said, “Unless you believe that I am (the name God said was His in Exodus 3:15) you will die in your sin.”

People reading this today (2,000 years later) might not understand this, but the people Jesus said it to understood Him perfectly! They wanted to stone Him for claiming to be God (John 10:30-33). In most cases the confusion is based on miss-understanding the Trinity.

The cults say the Trinity is a damnable heresy. For a mortal who has never seen God, to say that the omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, immortal God cannot be God in heaven, come to earth as a man, and be everywhere at the same time by His Spirit (a statement beyond his pay-grade) is a greater mystery than the Trinity itself.

There is not a man on earth who can tell you how a brown cow can eat green grass and turn it into white milk! Answering the Cults

One of the biggest clues is to look at which groups reject the Trinity and which do not:

Faith Groups that Reject the Trinity

• Muslims
• Mormons
• Jehovah's Witnesses
• Christian Science
• Scientology
• Arians
• Armstrongism
• Christadelphians
• The Way International
• Unification Church

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Thanks. Was just beginning to get those Scriptures together for a post. You saved me a lot of effort and time.

Well done.

I think Francis A Shaeffer's note that the Trinity solved the unity vs diversity problem within itself is an apt one.

His books are not light reading but are dense with meaning and meat.

THE GOD WHO IS THERE;
ESCAPE FROM REASON;
HE IS THERE AND HE IS NOT SILENT

In one volume:

www.amazon.com...=sr_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405397609&sr=1-1&keywords=f rancis+schaeffer

= = =

Also worth reading:

HOW SHOULD WE THEN LIVE? (L'Abri 50th Anniversary Ed): The Rise and Decline of Western Thought and Culture

www.amazon.com...=la_B000APF76M_sp-atf_title_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405397708&sr=1-1

COMPLETE WORKS--5 VOL SET:

www.amazon.com...=la_B000APF76M_sp-atf_title_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405397708&sr=1- 8

A CHRISTIAN MANIFESTO:

www.amazon.com...=la_B000APF76M_sp-atf_title_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405397708&sr=1 -9

THE MARK OF A CHRISTIAN:

www.amazon.com...=la_B000APF76M_sp-atf_title_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405397708&sr=1-11

TRUE SPIRITUALITY

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Paul E Little answers the question well here:

www.everystudent.com...

Is Jesus God? Did Jesus ever claim to be God? See proof from the life of Jesus Christ and why it's not blind faith to believe in him.

a few excerpts:

It soon became apparent, however, that he was making shocking and startling statements about himself. He began to identify himself as far more than a remarkable teacher or prophet. He began to say clearly that he was God. He made his identity the focal point of his teaching. The all-important question he put to those who followed him was, "Who do you say I am?" When Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God,"2 Jesus was not shocked, nor did he rebuke Peter. On the contrary, he commended him!

Jesus frequently referred to "My Father," and his hearers got the full impact of his words. We are told, "The Jews tried all the harder to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God."3

On another occasion he said, "I and My Father are One." Immediately the Jews wanted to stone him. He asked them which of his good works caused them to want to kill him. They replied, "We are not stoning you for any of these but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God."4

. . .

Jesus was not a liar, or mentally disabled, or manufactured apart from historical reality. The only other alternative is that Jesus was consciously being truthful when he said he was God.

That long article has a lot of good points in it.

= = =

Another site has good points as well:

www.gotquestions.org...

Question: "Is Jesus God? Did Jesus ever claim to be God?"

Answer: The Bible never records Jesus saying the precise words, “I am God.” That does not mean, however, that He did not proclaim that He is God. Take for example Jesus’ words in John 10:30, “I and the Father are one.” We need only to look at the Jews’ reaction to His statement to know He was claiming to be God. They tried to stone Him for this very reason: “You, a mere man, claim to be God” (John 10:33). The Jews understood exactly what Jesus was claiming—deity. When Jesus declared, “I and the Father are one,” He was saying that He and the Father are of one nature and essence. John 8:58 is another example. Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth … before Abraham was born, I am!” Jews who heard this statement responded by taking up stones to kill Him for blasphemy, as the Mosaic Law commanded (Leviticus 24:16).

John reiterates the concept of Jesus’ deity: “The Word [Jesus] was God” and “the Word became flesh” (John 1:1, 14). These verses clearly indicate that Jesus is God in the flesh. Acts 20:28 tells us, “Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.” Who bought the church with His own blood? Jesus Christ. And this same verse declares that God purchased His church with His own blood. Therefore, Jesus is God!

Thomas the disciple declared concerning Jesus, “My Lord and my God” (John 20:28). Jesus does not correct him. Titus 2:13 encourages us to wait for the coming of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ (see also 2 Peter 1:1). In Hebrews 1:8, the Father declares of Jesus, “But about the Son he says, ‘Your throne, O God, will last forever and ever, and righteousness will be the scepter of your kingdom.’” The Father refers to Jesus as “O God,” indicating that Jesus is indeed God.

Read more: www.gotquestions.org...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join