It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why the donkey???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
why is the liberal "sign" a donkey???

doesn't the donkey = @$$???

just making an observation...

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
The origin of the donkey symbol:

On January 15, 1870 a political cartoon appearing in Harper's Weekly titled "A Live Jackass Kicking a Dead Lion" by Thomas Nast, for the first time symbolized the Democratic Party as a donkey. Since then, the donkey has been widely used a symbol of the party, though unlike the Republican elephant, the donkey has never been officially adopted as the party's logo.

Source

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
i guess that because it is not official, it is a good thing because i do not want my party's symbol to be an @$$

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
How about we write the democratic party headquarters and suggest we adopt the Brown Hawk, or the Golden Eagle for a mascot
Now that is a symbol of strength and freedom.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger
How about we write the democratic party headquarters and suggest we adopt the Brown Hawk, or the Golden Eagle for a mascot

hmmm...

they will say "no!!!"

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kidfinger

thats cheating...

i like the donkey and elephant. its just so frickin random and weird, its fantastic.
new mottos:
GOP: bigger is better
Dems: lesser is more
(first phallic reference on PTS?)

also, i think we need to write the dems to get a cool nick like GOP

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Why Micheal Moores face for political figures? I'm gonna have to see his face now everyday?

ooooooh the agony.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
All I know about donkeys is that they are stubborn and when push to the limit the will kick you to kingdom hall.

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Donkeys are stubborn, alright. That's why the old saying is, you gotta get their attention first. You do that by whacking them between the eyes with a 2X4. Then they will meekly follow you.

Hopefull the mandate delivered in the last election is the 2X4 the Democrats need to wake up.

I miss the good old Democratics. They used to throw the best parties, and oh those Femocrats!

posted on Dec, 3 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Oh man, I like my donkey, It's such an odd choice. But it's also kinda stupid because then people can are cheesy and say they're "smart asses," (No, I kid you not, I've heard it before.)

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Think back to the episode of "Father of the Pride" with Eddie Murphy where he was telling the lion that people key saying "Donkey is an a$$". Donkey happens to be one of the coolest characters in the show and the Shrek movies. Donkey's happen to be a progressive animal and they don't take any BS. Elephants just lumber around waiting for someone else to do it. Just throgh in a mouse!

posted on May, 19 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I was gonna ask the same question, but for a different reason I think. Both the donkey and the elephant really are symbols of the democrats and GOP respectively, not really conservative and liberal. Although I admit the two parties have come to identify themselves with being conservative and liberal. I guess I would be hard pressed to come up with alternatives. I can't shake the feeling that there are at least a handful of liberal republicans and conservative democrats out there. I wonder if there is an "international symbol for liberalism/conservatism" somewhere in the books?

-koji K.

[edit on 19-5-2005 by koji_K]

posted on May, 20 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
The conservatives must have invented those symbols: "If you're liberal, then you're an @$$. If you're conservative, then you are the only animal who has a muscle in it's genital!"

[edit on 5/20/2005 by DucKid]

posted on Apr, 15 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Whoever heard of a good piece of elephant.

Donkeys and elephants aren't good choices for mascots.

It should be rattlesnakes for GOP and Cobras for Dems.

top topics

join