It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Male and female baldness

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Well, whether it's caused by genetics or hormone troubles and of course by chemical treatments it's harmful for both sexes men and women.

Having in your early years of life thick, beautiful hair and suddenly losing them day by day and being a woman-it was for me harmful and still is. I have no idea if my hormone problems with thyroid will ever end and even if hormones will be regulated will I actually get back my long thick hair. For now my hair are curly and thin like I would be a little girl, whose hair are already growing. People think it's cute, but they don't see empty places in the front of a mirror when I turn on the light

Well there is help in daily homemade natural treatments for poor people and expensive treatment in trichologist consulting room for richer clients.

It can last years to get back hair and what's the most important-founding out what actually caused their loss. Was it DHT or storm of hormones...you never know.

Unfortunately, hair problems are individual and they must be treated individually. It's a pity there is not a one solution for everyone.
Everybody should start from changing diet, but eating good food-it's guite expensive.

What are your stories of losing and getting back your hair?
edit on 12-7-2014 by AnnieWolf19 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: AnnieWolf19

I'm a dude, and as a rocker-ish youth obviously i favoured a long haired look.....

However baldness runs in the chaps in my family - my dad was bald by about 20 years old, and when i reached 15 i could tell it was happening to me too, and it would have been obvious to others by about 18.

Inspite of the fact that i was expecting it, it was not something i was comfy with at all and it really challenged my self image and esteem. I continued to grow my hair, and much became matted and dreadlocked in spite of it receding, and i often wore a "tam" - a Rastafari style woollen hat.

Now i was happy with how all that looked, but was embarrassed by the baldness and was rarely seen without a hat for the next few years which was pretty bloody awkward and it represented a real chink in my self esteem and personal freedom too. Funny thing is, no one else gave a fig about whether i was balding or not, and just thought i should stop being so hung up about it. Trouble for me was it did not fit with my personal (and pretty immature) aspiration to be seen by others as some long haired hippy-crusty-raver type - silly as that's what i was anyway, it's what i did.

At 21 there was pretty much no hair left on the top of my head and i just thought screw it, shaved the lot off and binned the hat - i felt liberated straight away.

I think for young/teen-aged men at least the problem is that we feel we wont be seen as cool, attractive and virile etc; but the truth is that there is nothing more cool attractive than being self assured and comfortable in your own skin and caring not one bit for what a detractor may think as you know it's just BS - and who in their right mind cares about BS, right?

I suppose my own quite normal teen-aged insecurities were the issue; and i did go bald, quickly and younger than most but straight after going "skin" i had no trouble getting the attentions "etc" of attractive women and, well, i really cant complain on that score!

Now for women the issue must be so massively magnified because of society's expectations and it must be really hard for many to admit that they suffer from baldness, and to be in public without a wig or some kind of head-dress. The herd can be an ass after all and people do stare and whisper which must be a real challenge... But i've known a very beautiful young women who had Alopecia and i believe that she struggled to talk about it for a few years and had related issues of depression - she wore a wig (and looked fabulous too) and when i knew her was able to talk openly and proudly about it.

So that's my two pence worth - i'm proudly bald and frankly would not have a full head of hair if given the choice now, i love my shiny bonce and it's part of who i am. In fact i kinda look down on chaps who spend a lot of time on their hair and talk hair style. FFS it's just not manly

But anyway, i wish you well. Be proud of yourself and what ever choices you make in your life and about your head; and if someone is critical or stares at you, well they are just an ass with a small narrow life and they are deserving of our pity for that reason, sad individuals that they are

edit on 12-7-2014 by skalla because: typos, clarity

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Plese also be aware, the chemical based remedies for baldness (which i have never tried) can carry some pretty awful side effects that are often not discussed; eg: serious mood swings and loss of sex drive. Totally not worth it if you ask me.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
The genes that determine your hair density comes from the X chromosome. Your Mom. If your Mom has thick hair, you will probably have think hair. The opposite is true. DAMN YOU MOM!!!!!!
My father's hair has been thicker than mine my whole life. He's in his mid 70's now and still has a full head. Bastid.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

For a man who wanted to have long hair like a rock star and loosing them so quickly it had to be dramatic.

Being a bald man is not so bad as being a bald woman...

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Absolutely - a man with thin hair and visible scalp usually goes unnoticed, regardless of how that man feels.

But for a woman it is of course very very different; not only because of societies expectations of female beauty but also because of it's rarity.

So how do you intend to deal with your own situation? Have you looked into the possible side effects of hair-regrowth medication and do you think that it is worth it?

Or perhaps you are thinking of wearing a wig? Any man who is worth being with will not be put off you if you shave your head and display that proudly, or if you wear a wig. Sadly many people in general can be unkind about such things, but like i said - that just indicates that they have a sad, narrow mind and little else going on in their life and i hope that you find the will to rise above such crap

edit on 12-7-2014 by skalla because: typos

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
From the age of about 13 to 16 (when I discovered metal - music, that is), I was rocking a full head of very thick hair all the way down to my gluteus maximus.

I cut it short around 17, the girls weren't having it, you know... Anyway, one day, age 23, I was at my barber and she said, "oh, looks like you're starting to thin out up here!"

I never went back to the barber. I went to Wal-Mart, bought a $15 dollar clipper and been buzzing my own head ever since. It's been 12 years and my thinning (crown and towards front) has not stopped. I haven't bothered with anything to remedy it, other than keeping it short and wearing a cap.

The sticker? My two brothers are 6 and 12 years older than me - both have full heads of hair. My dad died at 53 with maybe a bit of thinning - but nowhere near the severity of mine.

I joke that I was the youngest and got the left-over genes.

On a side note, my dad took me to a barber once as a kid. He had a sign on the door that said, "Bald is Beautiful"...scared me to death.

I have no medical ailments that I can explain away my hair loss with. Nor does my family history seem to indicate it. To be honest, though, it's the least of my worries. I am sure it is much more difficult thing for a woman to deal with. Unfortunately.

Best wishes.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I believe baldness is a sex-linked characteristic. Only males will experience baldness, it's a recessive defective gene, since they have a Y as a sex chromosome they don't have the second X to dominate the baldness. You are probably experiencing thinning of the hair, I somewhat understand how you feel, my Aunty has this. Don't try Nioxin, my friend who is in the business says that it only stimulates the shaft for an illusion and doesn't do anything to the hair itself. Maybe you can try a keratin deep condition treatment to put the proteins back in your hair. Sorry about your problem, it can be embarrassing, good luck!

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Male hair loss is usually in genes which are herited from the mother´s side of the family, if your mothers father is bald .. there you go. To woman its usually cause of health problems, thyroid and bad diet.
Hubby started to loose his hair in his 20´s so he decided to shave the rest of them. No big deal.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: dollukka
Male hair loss is usually in genes which are herited from the mother´s side of the family, if your mothers father is bald .. there you go.

Yup. Like I said, my Dad's hair is full. My Mom's side.....well thanks for nothing.

Hubby started to loose his hair in his 20´s so he decided to shave the rest of them. No big deal.

For me, screw it. Last time I'll be able to grow it. I'm sporting a Kim Mitchell skullet:

i1.ytimg.com...

Well, I still have more on top.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Skullet.. Why have i never come across that term before. Even better than floordrobe. Respect.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I am very lucky. I will be 60 in Oct. I have a full head of light brown hair and hardly a gray hair. people accuse of dyeing my hair.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Been keep my head shaved for years .. more comfortable .. easier to maintain .. cant be used against you in a fight .. aerodynamic .. at 71 if let it grow out would have full head of hair no grey yet ..

Be happy and comfortable with who you are .. dont worry about what others may think ..

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I will go with, love yourself for everything you are. Every one of us is an amazing thing just as we are.

If you really feel the need for re-growth therapy, keep in mind a positive attitude has as much to do with the hair growth.

Worry and stress sent to the follicles will kill them right dead.

I've seen if often enough that internal stress causes hair whitening and loss.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I (guy) started losing mine about 5 years ago, about a year ago it began growing back. I dont mean im back to full head, I still have visible thinning but in the temple area specially it has really started to fill in. The problem is the hairs arent fully mature yet and its still sparse. Most people think im imagining it, but I can tell you since I noticed I was losing hair Ive checked my hair line almost everyday for 4 years I know that part of my body better than anywhere else, so I know for definate its growing back.

I dont really know why, my diet hasnt changed much, I didnt start exercising or stop smoking. The only thing I did was started masturbating 2 or 3 times a week instead of 4 or 5 times a day.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Idonthaveabeard
The only thing I did was started masturbating 2 or 3 times a week instead of 4 or 5 times a day.

Fascinating account. That's not so much starting as cutting down though, and probably bad for muscle tone and i hope that your now withered arm (arms?) are a price worth paying for a few extra hairs, but at least you now have time for other pursuits

It reminds of a reports i read in (lawl) The Sunday Sport many moons ago when a bald man who was cleaning an attic that was infested with pigeons got his head crapped on and his hair regrew. Or so they said. You did not perhaps change your post jollies clean up routine and start using your scalp instead of the curtains?
edit on 12-7-2014 by skalla because: scalp not hair, baldy!

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Idonthaveabeard
I dont really know why, my diet hasnt changed much, I didnt start exercising or stop smoking. The only thing I did was started masturbating 2 or 3 times a week instead of 4 or 5 times a day.

Dude, this is about hair LOSS. Not gaining it on your palms.
Vision issues are also circumspect.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

The answers so far are lacking insight and also lacking data. Gary Null, PhD, the noted health researcher, author,internet radio show host, public speaker and Academy Award-nominated documentary filmmaker, has a tested protocol for reversing hair loss in men and women. It involves mostly diet change. Sorry about that. As a nutritionist once told me, "Most people don't want anything to come between themselves and their plate."

www.garynull.com...

If you have difficulty navigating that website, here is the website of his nurse, Luanne Pennessi, RN:

www.metropolitanwellness.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Eat more eggs, they contain biotin. Hair loss can come from a biotin deficiency. Also a NAC deficiency makes cells more susceptable to weakening, this is converted by the body to taurine, so eat the eggs overeasy one day a week as these two are sensitive to too much heat. Twice a week for eggs is plenty, have real oatmeal, not that quick stuff, at least once a week and maybe some cream of wheat or cocoa wheats and an occasional chocolate bar to keep copper levels up properly to keep the hair from losing color. Too much copper isn't good, but some is necessary. It's enzymes crosshatch sheet complexes in the body and hair cells to form stronger sheets and strands.

Make sure to get a proper amount of iodine also. Too much or too little is bad. Also avoid excessive goiterogens in the diet. These foods are touted as good for you but cause thyroid problems if overconsumed.

My hair thinning is hereditary, but I have more hair than all my relatives on my fathers side had....probably because I love eggs. Now, too many eggs can cause some problems for a lot of people too, but they don't effect me much for some reason. Other than that, I have the color of my hair getting gray, but for some strange reason it got a little darker again. I have no understanding of why though. I guess it is because I changed shampoo to a cheap suave again, it does not cause problems with my scalp like all the expensive ones do. A big bottle of it costed a buck fifty. Beats spending five bucks for junk that makes my scalp itch.

posted on Jul, 16 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Information on men's baldness is much easier to find.
For women, not so much.
There's a good site called hairlosstalk you might what to check out.

For women, it can be many things, and not all of them a sign of poor health.
Pregnancy and menopause can be causes....As well as artificial hormone replacement therapy [HRT]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join