It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATM skimmers that sit inside the card slot are virtually impossible to detect

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Skimmers have been used by crooks for years to steal credit and debit card information during ATM transactions. The devices have traditionally been somewhat easy to spot given their sheer size but as technology advances and electronics get smaller, so too do ATM skimmers. Krebs on Security recently took a look at some miniaturized fraud devices that were discovered to be in use at various ATMs across Europe this year. Whereas previous implementations were designed to fit on top of a machine's existing card slot, revised units like the one pictures below actually lie inside the card slot which makes them almost impossible to spot. Once your card is inserted, the device swipes the magnetic strip to steal your credentials.

New ATM skimmers that sit inside the card slot are virtually impossible to detect

Just something for everyone to be aware of next time they use an ATM. Shockingly surprising level of sophistication, almost undetectable really.

edit on 7-7-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Its time to get rid of the magnetic strip, its not needed.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Here's a solution...

Use Cash!

Just saying.....

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

that's all i use, well i use checks for bills pisses everybody off.

edit on 7-7-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

(post by zilebeliveunknown removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Not really new, they've been around for a while now. A few years at least.

Don't use debit, use credit if you insist on using your card for the purchase. At least that way they don't get your PIN number.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: zilebeliveunknown
POST REMOVED BY STAFF

i don't know about LightningStrikesHere, but i get mine at the bank, when i deposit my check.
if i run out, i go to the drive up window and get more.

never had a problem with id theft or any crap like that.
edit on Mon Jul 7 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie
That's good for you, but I'm sure vast majority are using ATMs including me because there're always like 20 people in line in the bank.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

That's good for you, but I'm sure vast majority are using ATMs including me because there're always like 20 people in line in the bank.

20 smart people.

Or so it would seem.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The evil banksters refuse to implement the crossover which would be relatively easy to accomplish. Some say its not 'cost effective' to make the change, but don't buy it. There are far deeper reasons for their obstinate refusal to implement something that's been in the works for at least ten years, but I won't be discussing them here - sorry.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Just saying, where do we get 99% of said cash?

For most of us the answer is an ATM simply because who has time to stand in line in the bank? Not many I imagine. Then there is the fact that banks simply are not available 24/7.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Wonderful.

This problem does seem to be getting worse, especially in the U.S. My card's been "compromised" 4 times in the last 10 months alone, and I don't really use it all that many places because I do try to use cash. Buying from Amazon seems to me and for me to be the culprit. Then the card gets used in China and/or California.

Doesn't the U.S, refuse to put in some of the safety features they have in Europe, for example? A friend from England told me this, but I haven't had time to really look into it. If that is the case, that may explain why we''re a prime target.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: zilebeliveunknown

I get my cash from the lady at the check cashing place. Hand her my check she hands me cash.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: applesthateatpeople

20 smart people.

Or so it would seem.

True that

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Just saying, where do we get 99% of said cash?

For most of us the answer is an ATM simply because who has time to stand in line in the bank? Not many I imagine. Then there is the fact that banks simply are not available 24/7.

I dono man, i still stand in line ....

Not saying i dont have a bank account ... But the only sure way to protect your money is to keep it in your own hands .

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I commend your time and patience buddy but surely for our own convenience never mind the fact that we pay for the service to actually use said ATMs we should at least expect them to be more secure?

Like the other poster commented, the magnetic strip is the weakest link and has to go

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I commend your time and patience buddy but surely for our own convenience never mind the fact that we pay for the service to actually use said ATMs we should at least expect them to be more secure?

I hear you ! , no complaints their

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I just don't want to hear BS tales like this...no matter the tech - of the cards or the crooks - IMHO, it's the bank's responsibility to make sure it's not exploitable, like it's mine to make sure it's not lost or stolen.

posted on Jul, 7 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I don't use ATMs unless they are physically inside a bank.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join