It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do public officials think they should not have to pay for anything?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Why do government employees think that it is their due to get everything for free? You hear about senators and congressman getting free trips ,kick backs, plane rides, and vehicles at no cost to them. But even on the local level, city mayors, town supervisors and even police officers expect not to pay, at all if possible, but at the very least they expect a heavily discounted price.

I work at a small city shop where we see many local public figures where they all expect this service, not only for themselves but for their families and friends. It is deplorable, but to keep peace and business of course, we are forced to comply. Has anyone ever done a study on the impact of this on businesses? It has to cost millions every year across the country.

[edit on 2-12-2004 by jeeze louise]

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
It's a good point you raise, louise. Everyone wants the free ride. In the end, to cover the loss the "little people" end up paying more to cover the "freebies" given to the "free loaders".

But realistically, if you told them to pay and they didn't come back, you would be better off. Better still, start charging them double. Just call it "reverse psychology"

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I have often wondered the same thing. I can almost see a police officer or a firefighter on duty receiving a perk here and there. After all, they have chosen to do what they do knowing the pay is not all that great.

On the other hand, It really bothers me to see elected officials and celecrities getting these perks, because of their title. Free trips, free cars, free this, free that.

I'd like to see these people see that this "free stuff" goes to people who need it. Wouldn't it be nice to hear that Ford Moror Co gave $15,000 to the United Way or Red Cross in the name of Mayor, or Senator ____________.

It is really sad that this happens in places where there is so much need.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Our state legislature this year really did a bad job getting their work done, most of the big issues are still left in up in the air. But, well, they deserve our congratulations I suspose for pulling their acts together long enough to take care of the important issues.....they made it illegal for us taxpayers to know who got free passes to the clubhouse at the nearby horse racing track!!!

Oh, ya, they are deligently at work this week too I believe....giving themselves raises for the fine job they've done all year!!!

I would really love to know the whole story about the clubhouse passes.....reallly I would, anyone know??

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
What about public officials who are above the law? We hear all the time how a senator, congressmen, etc.... breaking the law (DUI, speeding, and numerous other things) They never seem to get into any trouble.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Well I guess that they think that with "rank" comes with some benefits, I don't mine giving something to our public service workers but the politicians? they can kiss my butt, but again they want us to kiss up to them with a free ride anyway.

They all corrupted by power.

posted on Dec, 2 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I do agree that most of the politicians are corrupted. But with "rank" should come more responsibilty and more accountability. They should be held to a higher standard.

top topics

join