It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Soldier In Iraq Asks For American Soil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This is an older story I ran across and thought to share it with you all. We here in the US tend to take a lot for granted (I do as well), and we all seem to have a lot of grievences lately (with good reason mostly). We forget what we do have and that is quite a lot compared to other countries.

I don't really want to turn this into a bash fest on soldiers or the war, but just wanted to point out that in the worst of times there are those that long to come home to American soil, just as many of us take for granted walking on it every day of our lives.

Here is a soldier in Iraq , stationed in a big sand box. He asked his wife to send him dirt ( U.S. soil), fertilizer, and some grass seed so that he can have the sweet aroma, and feel the grass grow beneath his feet. When the men of the squadron have a mission that they are going on, they take turns walking through the grass and the American soil — to bring them good luck. Of all the things he could have asked his wife to send to him from home………..he asked for American soil.

Again... I just thought I would share.

www.freerepublic.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Fair play to him...
Life is too short...
Especially for Troops & Vets...

May they enjoy it in good health!!!

Peace Kangaruex!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
That story really spoke to me.
When my son was in the service, he would always ask what I would like him to send. All I wanted was a pop bottle of sand, though I wasn't even sure why....until I read your post.
I have sand from Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Afghanistan. And my son in alive and well.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   

"The more they made it seem like back home the more they made everyone miss it." --Apocalypse Now

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I bet this guy is a hobbyist landscape artist/gardener, or more likely, the guy with the nicest lawn, when he's not deployed.
I can spot a fellow landscape tender when I see one.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Fair play to him...
Life is too short...
Especially for Troops & Vets...

May they enjoy it in good health!!!

Peace Kangaruex!!!

I couldn't agree more Charlie! Thanks.

originally posted by: nugget1
That story really spoke to me.
When my son was in the service, he would always ask what I would like him to send. All I wanted was a pop bottle of sand, though I wasn't even sure why....until I read your post.
I have sand from Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Afghanistan. And my son in alive and well.

I am happy to hear that. I can understand why you wanted the sand. Each of us seek comfort in our own ways through our own trials. I am glad yours had a happy ending.

originally posted by: intrptr

"The more they made it seem like back home the more they made everyone miss it." --Apocalypse Now

Excellent quote from an excellent movie. It makes perfect sense. I guess it's still a comfort regardless of making them miss home more.

originally posted by: kkrattiger
I bet this guy is a hobbyist landscape artist/gardener, or more likely, the guy with the nicest lawn, when he's not deployed.
I can spot a fellow landscape tender when I see one.

The picture reminded me of Mr. Miyagi and bonsai trees!
edit on 7/3/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Love his "lawn mower", too. Out there everything is crazy. Whatever it takes to stay sane.

Get back home everyone…

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
the earth in the US is different than the earth in Iraq...

So we can conclude that man has a piece of the united states on that piece of....

Really... how stupid is that? lol

Can we stop romanticizing bull#? Please?

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: FraternitasSaturni
the earth in the US is different than the earth in Iraq...

So we can conclude that man has a piece of the united states on that piece of....

Really... how stupid is that? lol

Can we stop romanticizing bull#? Please?

I didn't find it stupid at all as it gave him some form of comfort while he was so far away, regardless of the how's and why's. It meant something to him and I only pointed out that we take where we are for granted. I don't have to worry about living day to day because my neighborhood is being bombed. That's not the case in so many other places around the globe. So while we bitch a lot about anything and everything... We STILL have it better than many.

I am sorry you thought it was stupid. Different strokes for different folks. It's what makes the world go around.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

I will bet the smell of the grass as he is cutting, and the feel to bare feet reminds him of home. Smells really trigger things for me and one is cut grass, it's always home, the feeling of something accomplished, and knowing the placed doesn't look like a hell hole. I love how he is out there with scissors. Now all he needs is a little of the perfume of his wifes on his pillow. Well maybe not that could be considered torture.

Great story and picture.

top topics

join