It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA approves first ever personal exoskeleton

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

The United States Food and Drug Administration has approved a first of its kind robotic device known as the ReWalk. As the name implies, ReWalk has the potential to help millions of people suffering from spinal cord injuries to walk again with a little help from modern technology. This is the first robotic exoskeleton approved for home use in the US, which works by physically moving the wearer’s paralyzed limbs. It’s an incredible example of robotics doing cool things that (presumably) can’t lead to a Skynet-style robot apocalypse.

The ReWalk works by strapping onto the user’s legs and upper body for support. At each hip, knee, and ankle joint is a motor that is controlled by an on-board computer.

I'm sure this type of technology will be gratefully welcomed by many people suffering from spinal injuries and other numerous afflictions that affect mobility. Definitely a step in the right direction, pun intended.

Still rather a nasty price tag($70,000), hopefully it will become available to all that are in need of such a device and not just a privileged few.
edit on 3-7-2014 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Very cool! I'm wondering why this wasn't already in the market though?
And like you said, I hope it comes down in price from $70k, or yet again, only the wealthy will be able to live such a fruitful life.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

The United States Food and Drug Administration has approved a first of its kind robotic device known as the ReWalk. As the name implies, ReWalk has the potential to help millions of people suffering from spinal cord injuries to walk again with a little help from modern technology.

At the price of $70k, that had better come down. Or insurance companies had better approve it if the doctor determines that it is medically necessary. I would like to see something like this priced at about $2500. Then, millions of people COULD get it!
edit on 7/3/2014 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: InFriNiTee

I would like to see something like this priced at about $2500

I'd like to see the company donate them to the military for injured vets - from all campaigns, not just current ones.

Consider them the Beta Users...win win for all.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I'd wear one just so it would walk for me.

Yeah, I can be pretty lazy sometimes

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
That's really cool, I've even heard the idea this could retrain the muscles/nerves and possibly cure the paralysis. Though I am confused why the FDA is involved with robotics, its not a food or drug.

posted on Jul, 3 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Now we need to mount lasers and rocket launchers on it. Maybe some ballistic plates and jet pack. A kick a** paint scheme. This could go places

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
70k? I'm finding it hard to believe thats worth 70k... I mean... 70k is what you pay for a really high tech sports car these days (not counting on the horse power or exclusivity) so... seriously why are they keeping people away from that?

Plus... why are they keeping people from something they know is crap and also know they have better from armed forces R&D?

Some crap just baffles me... we have stupid robots better than that. Our (and I mean US and EU) army exoskeletons were better than that 10 years ago.

That shouldnt cost 70k!!!!! Thats old tech!

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: FraternitasSaturni

I suppose that anyone requiring such a device genuinely should receive one for gratis!

Then again chance would indeed be a fine thing in this world!

5k to 10k seems like a more realistic price once they refine their design, manufacturing and production processes but that I imagine is 5-10 years down the line.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The units probably cost about $10,000 each to develop and produce.

The other $60,000 per unit would be to recover the cost of gaining FDA approval, which is one of the most expensive things in the world to obtain.

posted on Jul, 4 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

Not just injured vets but a derivative of this for those foot soldiers carrying 120+ lb packs.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

I agree 100%. The government throws around billions every day. Why can they not afford 3 million of these? Someone should start a petition at whitehouse.gov, and pass it around all the Vet sites. I bet there would be at least a million signatures on that petition.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   
wow they look crap lol why have they not got suits like in aliens yet they would be simple to make really albeit with square movements good for heavy work like construction

top topics

join