It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Old Willis retro Mod just got a bit closer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   
So this is what I have as of right now

and this is what I want it to look like when I'm all done with the resto-mod

It came with a rotted out Super Hurricane flat head 6 cyl... not just seized but rusted to the point where everything had fused together.

Now this guy put a Chevy 406 by AC Nutter racing engines 585+ hp in his --- maybe that's a tad much for what I want

This one has a small block 350

I do have a 304 out of an old cj5 from the 70's
but right now I'm doing research on the new smaller high HP high MPG engines?

still have a lot of frame work left to do but little by little I'm getting there
edit on 2-7-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Looks nice! It will look amazing when you are finished.

If I had a garage, proper tools and a 67 Mustang I'd restore it myself. I'd also have to learn about car restoration and mechanics but I think it would be enjoyable and fun.

My uncle is a mechanic and he literally has a "grave yard" of sorts of all Mazdas. He has an 80s Mazda RX7 that he has restored. It's immaculate. Everything is original in it. It's red and I think the interior is black if i remember correctly. He said he has had 22 Mustangs in his life, very jealous niece right here! I have a 1998 Mustang 5 speed. Nothing fancy but it's MINE! I want to get a paint job for it, new rim/tires, spoiler, tint the windows and clean the upholstery since it's not damaged just in need of a cleaning. One day it will be my sons and by that time it will be a possible Classic

Post pics when you finish! BTW how long will it take you do you think?

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Prob take me the rest of the year. time and money permitting...

I'm going to hand fab the frame and roll cage...
right now I'm thinking I'll go with the standard rock crusher 4 speed transmission, dana 20 twin stick transfercase ,dana 44 with disc brakes and locker front axle 456, dana 44 centered rearend ... that's standard for jeeps anyway ;-)

BTW I plan on keeping the Old Army jeep look--- only this old Army jeep will have 33 ssr super swampers--- Bawhahahaha!
]
edit on 2-7-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I've always wanted one of those old Jeeps. The only Jeeps I've ever had were mid-late 80's Wagoneer and Cherokees. I miss the Cherokees, but I was glad to see that Wagoneer scrapped.

I just started up a restoration shop as co-owner. I'm the painter and head body man, my co-owners are more into the mechanic side of things but I've taught them a lot about the body work and refinishing. I know nothing about uphostery other than how to clean them and I know a moderate amount mechanic wise, but that's not my main focus.

Anyway, back to the Jeep. The Jeep as it is right now is exactly how I'd want it to look; military flat green... with a big white star on the hood.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Hot rodding, customizing, mods of autos is an American art form. It never gets the credit it deserves.

I'm very proud of my tricked out 450SL

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
I've always wanted one of those old Jeeps. The only Jeeps I've ever had were mid-late 80's Wagoneer and Cherokees. I miss the Cherokees, but I was glad to see that Wagoneer scrapped.

I just started up a restoration shop as co-owner. I'm the painter and head body man, my co-owners are more into the mechanic side of things but I've taught them a lot about the body work and refinishing. I know nothing about uphostery other than how to clean them and I know a moderate amount mechanic wise, but that's not my main focus.

Anyway, back to the Jeep. The Jeep as it is right now is exactly how I'd want it to look; military flat green... with a big white star on the hood.

G,day mate.
you are dead right.
do a full resto on her to bring her back to the way she was put together for the troopies.
buy a 70,s shell and do a street machine out of that
mate if i was living in the states i would offer to buy that old jeep myself
i might be able to squeeze her in next to the beach buggy

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Very nice project you have there, and free from rust it looks like.

The only suggestion to keeping more authentic is keeping all the equipment storage areas and handles only tricked out (of course) in chrome or hard wood framed in steel. From a design perspective it may help the unit retain it's badass and utilitarian "feel".

I envy you, now if I could only find a good el'camino that wouldn't break the bank...or even a ranchero..

Good luck with a steady and quick project.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: pronto

originally posted by: Aldakoopa

G,day mate.
you are dead right.
do a full resto on her to bring her back to the way she was put together for the troopies.
buy a 70,s shell and do a street machine out of that
mate if i was living in the states i would offer to buy that old jeep myself
i might be able to squeeze her in next to the beach buggy

I have no idea if the real military Jeeps had a white star on the hood, I just had a GI Joe toy that did when I was growing up and I'd want it to look like that.

IF I got a 70's CJ5 I would definitely do that how I wanted it, but if I had an original wartime relic, definitely restore that completely original.
edit on 2-7-2014 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 5 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Mines not a military version... but the civilian CJ3b.
Still she was old enough to have the 6 volt batt and gen. All of that was rotted out as well and will be rewired to a 12 volt.

All the military stuff, rails and boxes I bought after market... I wanted that 1940's military jeep look but with all new mechanicals. as for rust... you should have seen it after it came back from the sand blaster... Looked like a big hunk of Swiss cheese. what you see now is three months worth of body fill, replacement panels lots of sanding and prayers that I didn't screw anything up.

If she had been an authentic M38A1 I would go with the classic restoration... those old classic military jeeps are worth big bucks! but this one isn't... So I'm going ahead with my plans to do a Resto-Mod with lots of tricked out toys...

Oh and BTW... if you just happened to have $2800 in cash handy... I got a buddy of mine selling his
69 Camino 4X4 right now

You'd have to come here to Colorado to pick it up though
His craigslist ad

top topics

join