It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirit Dolphin. A wood carving by me..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Treespeaker

Very nice. You are an artist in the true sense of the word.

I surprised a good friend with a wood carving of a salmon that could hold a bottle of wine. ( I bought it so no real effort involved) But there is something about a natural wood carving. There is the initial design, then you have the deep characteristics of the wood that bring a whole separate level to the work. Thanks very much for sharing that with us.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Thanks for your comment,

I appreciate other artists thought and impressions. Wood is such a malleable medium.

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Yes its a cherry stain on cherry...I cheated.

Inlay I could do but the market sees it as somehow inferior, although its way more intense. Its a weird bit, I think folks would like to think they could work wood as easy if it looks smooth and easy...i dunno.

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I like how it has two sides. I live in Washington state and one side reminds me of the native American tribal art.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Treespeaker
a reply to: InTheLight

Yes its a cherry stain on cherry...I cheated.

Inlay I could do but the market sees it as somehow inferior, although its way more intense. Its a weird bit, I think folks would like to think they could work wood as easy if it looks smooth and easy...i dunno.

Cheers!

It is a weird thing to speculate as to how the market (artistic and non-artistic people) will view one's effort and artistic value in a piece. I once crochetted a baby blanket for my sister, using a most intricate stitch and it took me months to complete. When it was presented to her she was less than impressed until a friend of hers pointed out the complexity and time involved (not to mention the love woven in to it).

As for wood carving, as most people know little about it, I think people don't give this art/craft it's just credits. But I am a fan of inlay (marketry) work and handcarved furniture and boxes.

I love the look of blond wood against darker (stained) wood and I like your piece's hint of an Earth spirit within it.

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 06:04 PM
link   

It is lovely. Well done. I am sure she will be happy with that..

kind regards

purp...

posted on Jul, 11 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   

It's beautiful....what a wonderful gift for your wife.....
Very nice wood...you really did a great job!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join