It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sunni-Shia Divide: Where they live, What they Believe & How They View Each Other {PEW Research C

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   

www.pewresearch.org...

. . .

Iran also has supported Bashar al-Assad’s government in Syria, where only 15-20% of the Muslim population was Shia as of 2009. But the Syrian leadership is dominated by Alawites (an offshoot of Shia Islam). Under Saddam Hussein’s regime in Iraq, which was dominated by Sunnis, the country clashed with Iran.

. . .

In some countries, significant shares of Muslims don’t even see the distinction between Sunni and Shia Islam as relevant. A survey of Muslims in 39 countries that we conducted in 2011 and 2012 found, for example, that 74% of Muslims in Kazakhstan and 56% of Muslims in Indonesia identified themselves as neither Sunni nor Shia, but “just a Muslim.” In Iraq, however, only 5% answered “just a Muslim.”
. . .

Sooooooooo . . . my questions are . . .

1. What do ATS Muslims think of the issue that Muslims do or don't care about the Sunni/Shia divide?

2. Is the violent conflict between the two real? . . . i.e. potentially resulting in lots of deaths?

3. A big deal all over the world?

4. A big deal only in certain regions?

5. A big deal only to violent jihad supporters/participants?

= = = =

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: BO XIAN

You could do the same research on the Catholic / Anglican divide without even getting into the bible thumping, revenue raising, bible belt types of the Christians.

It is just all an excuse to empower individuals swamped in greed, for wealth and power and it is all sunk into the depravity that is hate for anyone that is different from you.

P

edit on 28/6/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Don't fall in for it, Bo. The Sunnis and Shi'ites are hardly divided. It's the on-going process of leadership transition which has portions of the press inflamed.

When the Caliphate forms it will be dominated by Shi'ite belief ... even though it will be installed by the Sunnis. Watch Turkey for indicators.

No problems unless they destroy Israel. No problems if Israel is destroyed and no one blinks. No problems as long as the Caliphate stays within its borders. Too bad Israel exists there.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Think what most Westerners don't understand is that before 1918 all these Muslim Countries where 1 country under the Ottoman Empire from about 1299 to 1918. The current map was drawn up by Westerners.

So these guys don't view national borders as a Westerner would cause they didn't have any for 500 years - that's why these guys jump from country to country and have families spread all over the region it's their history - think if Western politicians & military understood that fact it might help them on how to deal with the Mid-East.
imo

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

It is just all an excuse to empower individuals swamped in greed, for wealth and power and it is all sunk into the depravity that is hate for anyone that is different from you.

Sounds a lot like congress.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Sounds like you'd agree a lot with Freud's

IN-GROUP/OUT-GROUP observations.

He once noted that even a religion based on love would be unloving to those not members of it.

Too many "Christians" have spent far too much energy and time proving him right on such scores.

Sigh.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I think you are likely more right than wrong about the Caliphate.

Folks do NOT realize, however, that Almighty God meant what He said about Israel.

He has proven it several times since 1948 even with the apostate state of Israel in terms of their relationship with Him. HE WILL SOLVE THAT.

He will discipline them within an inch of survival.

However, He will also insure that Israel is protected, ultimately--not for them--the ungrateful jerks--too many anyway--but FOR HIS OWN GLORY; HIS OWN NAMESAKE AND . . . BECAUSE He told His best buddy Abraham that HE WOULD DO JUST THAT.

He's unparalleled at keeping HIS WORD.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: BABYBULL24

I hadn't thought of that.

You're right. Interesting.

Thx.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

No problems unless they destroy Israel. No problems if Israel is destroyed and no one blinks. No problems as long as the Caliphate stays within its borders. Too bad Israel exists there.

You forget the Samson Option.

Everyone will blink when the mushrooms grow over the middle east. and its turned into a glowing glass parking lot.

By 2002 it was estimated that Israel had between 75 and 200 thermonuclear weapons, each in the multiple-megaton range.

These can be launched from land, sea and air. This gives Israel final strike option even if much of the country is destroyed.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:20 PM
link   

It's going to happen ... unless somebody has a better plan on a table in some back room somewhere.

Can you imagine what would ensue should an observable act of divine intervention take place in the modern age? You should have heard all of the exclamations that roared through my brain!! LOL

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The REAL truth is that all the countries that would benefit
in the oil take over of the Mid. East are involved in tearing it apart.
Those countries are israel, russia, england, u.s., these are the vultures
who are all in bed together and they don't care about the civilians
and all the families that they murder.
It's all for the dollar and control of oil.
The irony is oil was so much cheaper before the west forced privatization
in the Mid. East. These same elites as Tony Blair etc. don't even care
about their own. They are the type that would kill their own for a buck.
They are the modern day versions of Julius Popper even worse.

IT'S TIME TO WAKE UP !

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

I'm not being contradictory just for the sake of it, but please source this:

By 2002 it was estimated that Israel had between 75 and 200 thermonuclear weapons, each in the multiple-megaton range.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

IIRC . . . about the 2,000 year old outline of these END TIMES events . . .

it's not very workable for the 'GLASSIFY THE WHOLE MIDEAST' scenario.

Oh, I suppose God could clean up the radiation etc. with a snap of His big fingers.

I just think that it's unlikely that He's going to allow THAT much damage to Israel.

He sees it as toooo much HIS VERY SPECIAL TURF.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I've pondered that a long time . . . What would a "parting of the Red Sea" event in our era likely look at . . . the first one. I expect there will be at least a dozen or 3 dozen such events before it's over . . . maybe more.

Certainly satan's globalist oligarchy would have to explain all such away somehow.

Yet, I doubt God's going to make THAT remotely easy.

There are lots of stories from Israel's 6 day war . . . IIRC a lot of Egyptian tank drivers saw either angels or supernatural forces of some type . . . some vast array of force against them that caused them to stand down and not cross the Suez.

Somehow, I think pending dramatic demonstrations of God's angel armies are likely to be even more dramatic.

Time will tell.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: ToneDeaf

imho, the oil thing is a sham.

The oligarchy could flip a switch and put on the market rather quickly 3-4 DIFFERENT "zero-point" energy devices that would reduce household energy expenses for electricity, cooling, heating and travel to $1.00 or less per YEAR.

Of course, they are loathe to do so for a list of rationalized reasons.

Anyway--it is SEEMINGLY the case that they are enjoying manipulating oil and oil rich countries for a variety of geo-political reasons toward their desired total global government and religion of utter tyranny.

I just haven't been able to figure out what the current manipulations are likely to result to in the mid-term. What's their next big step type goal?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

The violence in the Middle East is all about consolidation of power. Sunni vs Shia does not matter. Its about which side is being funded, and who is funding them. If the right leader is put on the scene (ie, a puppet messiah) Islam will unit in a heart beat, but first, the sovreign regimes have to be toppled and boreders erased...that is what we are seeing now.

The question now becomes, who is funding these monsters???

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I don't know if Muslims in the Middle East would attack Israel for fear of damaging the Dome of The Rock.Any thoughts on this?

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
One thing is for sure, the deregulation of private industry of natural resources
and governments who fund such should be taken to the gallows.
Start with Tony Blair.

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: BO XIAN
Oh, I suppose God could clean up the radiation etc. with a snap of His big fingers.
I just think that it's unlikely that He's going to allow THAT much damage to Israel.
He sees it as toooo much HIS VERY SPECIAL TURF.

Depending on which 'god' you mean. Gospels :
"They say they are Jews, but they are not,
because their synagogue belongs to Satan." rev2:9
www.biblegateway.com...

posted on Jun, 29 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

The violence in the Middle East is all about consolidation of power. Sunni vs Shia does not matter. Its about which side is being funded, and who is funding them. If the right leader is put on the scene (ie, a puppet messiah) Islam will unit in a heart beat, but first, the sovreign regimes have to be toppled and boreders erased...that is what we are seeing now.

The question now becomes, who is funding these monsters???

ABSOLUTELY INDEED! I think you note a very key point.

Of course, the globalist oligarchy is funding them . . . via various stooges . . .

and probably Iran. I'm not sure how under the oligarchy's thumb Iran is . . . that may be why Iran is on the schedule to have a 'regime change' . . . nevertheless, Iran is also ran by demonized arrogance hell-bent on conquest.

The business of causing world wide death and destruction IN ORDER for the Mahdi to come forth, is dogma straight from hell. And Iran seems to be intensely of that mind-set . . . which . . . is not that far from the globalists' strategy to bring forth the Anti-Christ.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm . . . birds of a feather.

One of the globalists' main meme's is fomenting crises in order to bring about major change. Witness 9/11 and the following loss of freedoms and markedly increased !!!CONTROL!!! and tyranny.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join