It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA To Evaluate Marijuana For Potential Reclassification As Less Dangerous Drug

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: seabag
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'm wondering why it was ever a schedule 1 drug???

This is a step in the right direction. I'm as conservative as they come and I'm all for decriminalization of marijuana. It's ridiculous to be locked up for exercising your free will and harming no one.

Im in the same boat.This is one issue that is not about conservative or liberal.
Im no fan of the President but this is one issue that he's gotten right.
Go Colorado Go Washington!! Dont mess it up for the rest of us.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Slowly chipping away at the Fed's BS stance on pot. Brick by brick that wall is coming down. Had so many states, including Washington DC, not approve medical pot this wall would never come down.

It's complete BS pot is scheduled as one the most dangerous drugs around. It's BS that they are reconsidering rescheduling it. I guess it's hard to admit you're wrong & you've supported a lie for so many decades.

We all know why pot was scheduled a class 1 drug, right?

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: occrest
Why did you remove your post?
Macman and I were both looking for a reason for poison ivy to exist.
And you gave us that.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: seabag

So it would be easier to keep our for profit prison system full. Not to mention big pharma and the alcohol industry doesn't want competition from something that a person can grow at home in a closet.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Yea, the UK response has been odd. And just yesterday, I saw they are outlawing "Khat" which is a mild stimulant root chew greatly favored by the Somali UK immigrants. To me, that's just cruel. But the UK gov't seems to be much more and all about control of the individual and manipulation through deprivation.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
About Freaking Time!!!!a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

I am curios why the UK is more anal on this. Many top doctors here in the UK are demanding a review, 70% of Brits want a review. Many stressed and fed up high ranking police officers want a review!

But the home office under labor and now torys refuse saying there drug policy's is working

BS it is!

The war on drugs has failed.
edit on 27-6-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I am curios why the UK is more anal on this. Many top doctors here in the UK are demanding a review, 70% of Brits want a review. Many stressed and fed up high ranking police officers want a review!

But the home office under labor and now torys refuse saying there drug policy's is working

BS it is!

War on drugs? More like the war on freedom and that is going swimmingly.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
a reply to: seabag

So it would be easier to keep our for profit prison system full. Not to mention big pharma and the alcohol industry doesn't want competition from something that a person can grow at home in a closet.
Dont forget the cotton and lumber industries....hemp would have put them out of business.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   
He is finally free of his physical pain and mental anguish and , quite possibly, in a better place than the one his physical existence afforded him. He might be looking down on you right now with a grin on his face from ear to ear.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

They just need to quit being such morons with this.

Marijuana is FAR FAR less dangerous than alcohol or cigarettes, yet they are legal.
The government is more or less saying they don't want any part of an already existing billion dollar+ by not fully legalizing it & taxing it. Of course there are smart places such as Colorado who are doing this. North America needs to do this.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: seabag

Normally the UK been ahead of the US on rights. But not on this.

THAT'S RICH!!

Ever heard of taxation without representation, the Boston......oh, nevermind.

In recent history, specifically around the last hundred years or so, he/she is spot on. The UK as well as many (most?) other first world countries are far ahead of the U.S. in things like basic human rights, worker rights, etc.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

BS it is!

War on drugs? More like the war on freedom and that is going swimmingly.

The last war we won was WWII. It is also arguably the last war we should have really gotten involved in. I suppose we "won" in Korea. We lost Vietnam, the war on drugs, the war on poverty, the list goes on and on. Nothing to get 'Muricans behind you by declaring war on something.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

I just wish my own country would be so enlightened.

Normally the UK been ahead of the US on rights. But not on this.

For some reason when it comes to cannabis my country's politicians have a huge stick up there arse about it.

Its not a stick they've got up their arse, its the alcohol lobby.
Also these days I'd imagine big pharma see's it as a threat to their profits. Just imagine the massive loss in sales of sleeping pills!

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Psykotik

Yes, not to mention the biggest tell of all of this is that Cocaine is a schedule 2 drug while marijuana is a schedule 1 drug. In other words, the government is saying that marijuana is more dangerous and less medically beneficial than coc aine.

As a nurse, I have actually seen coc aine used medically. A patient had a nose bleed that would not stop, no matter what the ENT doc tried. It was the last resort, but it worked. It was the powder form. Came in a little tube thingy marked to excess COCAINE all over in red letters. There was a bit of paperwork involved and the pharmacist had to stay until the doc was finished. Crazy.

BTW, I fully support the legalization of marijuana even if it's just for medical use. I think it is stupid to prosecute and imprison people for plant growth and dried plant use.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
You know what I wish the FDA would do is review some of pharmaceuticals for reclassification as dangerous drugs. I've seen a ton of damage done, including the destruction of neurotransmission and liver function. I've seen people who slur words and have a significance decline in cognition due to the brain damage done by some of the garbage they prescribe. It's criminal because I've also seen people become physically addicted to these various medications (common ones). Loss of the brain and CNS functioning and they aren't dangerous? It infuriates me because millions trust they are safe. Marijuana being evil was a political move after the 60's. Maybe they will finally base decisions on safety instead of politics.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111
A tentative step in the right direction, but disappointing if I understand the article. So it's up for review to move it from "as dangerous as heroin" to " only as dangerous as coke and meth"? I think FDA is more worried about the danger mj might pose to the profitability of Rx pills and booze...

I think you are confusing what the schedule defines. It is not stating that marijuana is "as dangerous" as coc aine and methamphetamine by any means! Schedule II means that a drug has a legitimate medical use (as coc aine and methamphetamine both do) but that there is a high potential for those drugs to be ab/used recreationally. Unfortunately there IS a high potential for abuse. But seeing as marijuana is about as dangerous as alcohol (which is not much when used responsibly), I agree that even Schedule II is still too steep. After all, while marijuana has increasing uses in the medical community, alcohol has NONE.....

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Well, at least one government agency is taking a small step back and rethinking about cannabis. Even if they change the classification or not, it still proves that people are beginning to hesitate and rethink what cannabis' image and use ought to be. And seeings how it's a part of the government, it seems like it's progress. Even if it appears rather small, it's still minor progress.

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Alcohol meets all of these criteria:

There are 8 factors that the FDA has to consider during this process which are listed below:

1) Its actual or relative potential for abuse
2) Scientific evidence of its pharmacological effect, if known
3) The state of current scientific knowledge regarding the drug or other substance
4) Its history and current pattern of abuse
5) The scope, duration, and significance of abuse
6) What, if any, risk there is to the public health
7) Its psychic or physiological dependence liability
8) Whether the substance is an immediate precursor of a substance already controlled under this subchapter

posted on Jun, 28 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   

The real kicker here is the fact that humans need some people to put down on paper that the thing they have known for ever and have used for years and years and years is now considered safe for them. That says something about the whole human psyche and consciousness. And what it says is not pretty, its the equivalent of needing other people to tell you that wearing a certain color pants is OK now because it was declared OK by some strange people in an office somewhere who you never meet or will ever meet who all have agendas. The war on drugs has been going on for all this time, and in all this time funny no how everybody could get drugs even the hard drugs with no problems at all, to all types and walks of life, even in high school when I was 15 years old to the kids there it was not that hard to come by it even with all the supposed laws and people working day and night to keep such things out. # the security guard at one of the schools used to sell things such as marijuana, '___', steroids, and even coc aine.

The whole thing is a joke, if you need somebody to tell you that your now free to do this and that, then your not free and never were, and you just may be incapable of thinking for yourself. Most drugs by those in power are merely considered cash crops or potential cash crops. That is all. So yes woopyty do da now something which a great majority of people have been using are going to continue using it only now its with sanctioned state support. Which means it will change absolutely nothing but the lines of profit a bit. But hey at least now people wont be going to jail and ruining there entire life's over a stupid plant. So I suppose that is a plus.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join