It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hip-Hop why the hate? My issues with Hip-Hop

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat
a reply to: oblvion

Some very good tracks on that list. Where I'm from there is nothing like this on the radio, thank you iheart.

m/

Just save the link to your faves, and you can listen every week.

I had thought about posting it up every sunday morning but didnt know how many metal heads there are.
I found this the first week I lived here, there is nothing like this in Indianapolis where I come from either. I found this and was just amazed, I have not missed a single show in a year and a half now.

I meant to add on of my favorite songs ever, an oldie but a very goodie. Mudvayne dig

I just love this song so much.

edit on 2014bThursdayv4720146 by oblvion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

F*** yeah!

I love that track. LD50 is probably one of the best nü-metal albums of all time. Under my skin is probably my favorite track on that album.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CagliostroTheGreat

F*** yeah!

I love that track. LD50 is probably one of the best nü-metal albums of all time. Under my skin is probably my favorite track on that album.

Okay maybe we should just make a metal thread, because we totally took this over.

Sorry OP, I will back out of this thread now and take my brutallity elsewhere.

Thanks for the space to share some good tunes though.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeChakra

Ok...

When I was at school, the only music that anyone played on a regular basis was...

Garage- a singularly aggravating form of electronically created music, that is, music created without any actual instruments what so ever, aside from samples, usually with some knuckle dragging lump of excrement making vaguely lyrical noises over the top of it.

Hip-hop- Eminem, who has always made me want to shove a twelve inch steel pin through his skull, and in my opinion rhymes like a preschooler, or assorted gangsta rap, which is in my estimation an exercise in shallowness and stupidity, and has no actual musical value what so ever.

Club music- you know, electronic beats, with some breathy under talented wench "singing" over the top of it, trying to justify the need for melody in a tune which is supposed to be played to people who have not actually been able to think since well before they first did a tab of something highly illegal, and would dance to a car alarm unabashedly if they were high enough.

Over exposure to these things at a young age, often by people who made my life way more difficult than it had to be, simply because they were to bloody malformed intellectually, to understand that their problems could not be solved by their attempts to victimise me, has, I am willing to admit, biased me greatly against this sort of music...

However, I never judge a person on their appearance. I have met metalheads from every walk of life, and near enough every nation between here and Russia. I have also met some wonderful opera fans, classical fans, jazz fans, and God knows how many other appreciators of music, from various different ethnic backgrounds.

I tend to take people as I find them. That said, speed garage music... Well if I hear that, I put my fist through the entire CD player, and the face of the first person to complain at that act. I feel the same way about Abba music as well.

Tis the music I have a bias against, not people. With people, I am generally happy to see everyone, unless they give me a reason not to be.

Incidentally, on the subject of rap... MC Hammer and Will Smith, they are old school. Eminem is not. Old school was old when I was young, that is the measure.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
What i gathered from this thread is ATS is full of people biased towards metal, a genre in which none of the words are expressed in an intelligible format, and completely hate everything else, despite saying otherwise. How can you even say electronic music isn't good? Some of the best electronic music out there sounds like it was played live, and how can eminem rhyme like a preschooler when he used words even I had to look up as a straight A AP student who was told to be years ahead of any of my peers? Tell me a preschooler can write the lyrics to Infinite and I'll take myself out of this cruel and inhumane planet.

I also see the older generation sticking with the older ways because they conformed to it, now complaining about the newer kids conforming to the newer age we created. Hypocritical much? How about we learn to adapt to the times and appreciate all aspects of recorded memories in time. I have 18 year old friends who will play a pink floyd song from the wall and then the next song would be a comedic trap song about weed and sex with an idiotic amount of bass and then the next song is john mayor or phil collins or the beatles.

See my problem? You all get stuck on one mindset and the hell with everything else.
edit on 0146k3 by Lynk3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Lynk3

I totally dig all forms of electronica. One of my favorite artists of all time is OhGr. I love dubstep, d&b, gabber, NEScore, chiptune and any veritable myriad of electronic music.

I also love:
Classic rock
Jazz
Buroque
Bluegrass
Reggae
punk
hip-hop
ska
Hard rock
Grunge
Easy listening
A Capella
Swing
Big band
World

I could go on but I won't. I honestly listen to all these genres of music, which is why, well, see my first post. Besides, who gives a damn if ATS is biased toward metal? Honestly?

Kallisti
edit on Cpm8Thursday5920141130Thu, 26 Jun 2014 20:59:11 -05002014 by CagliostroTheGreat because: punctiation/typo

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ThirdEyeChakra

I like some hip hop, mostly the older stuff like E, snoop etc. But in my opinion most of it sucks.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

You need more classical Satan in your diet.
edit on 26-6-2014 by Fargoth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
"And why do people hate Hip-Hop so much?!, now i'm not referring to the mainstream pop rap specifically but even late 90's or late 80's 'old school' Hip-Hop rappers like Nas, Eminem, KRS-One, Joey Bada$$, Public Enemy, NWA"

You have to understand that there are people who actually just want to get along but listening to the music today (rap in particular) seems very divisive. I cannot remember too many rap songs if any that play mainstream that celebrate or talk about us all getting along. Then again I don't recall too many white artist stating this currently on the mainstream but for many obvious reasons a great deal of rap deals with a lot of negative stuff. Folks can say "yeah but that's our reality". Well that's all well and good but I don't hear many rappers condemning some of the awful stuff that's going on.

My friend at work made an interesting point, I often talk about how I perceive different races getting further apart and I used as a reference the Essence Awards and the Latin Awards and noted that these two shows specifically cater to each particular race. I thought the idea for all groups were to get along and be treated as equals. He said yeah, we want to be treated as equals but that does not mean we want to celebrate it with you. I said I wish more people could be as honest as you...I didn't take it as a negative statement but just an honest answer that makes perfect sense. Little off topic but worth mentioning..to be honest I'm lucky I can have these conversations with the folks I work with...

edit on 26-6-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2014 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: CagliostroTheGreat

I do because I appreciate music and in every music thread, the genre is shot down and spammed with metal videos instead of people who appreciate the genre adding to the pool of that particular thread's focus. In this case, there should be people trying to redeem hiphop and counter the bad reputation it has. This is not a metal thread and the excessive posting of metal is technically off-topic.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

Rap nowadays actually preaches yeah the world is bad, but if you don't give a damn about it and stick to your grind you can live like them if you wanted. The whole point is working towards earning the income that lets you indulge in your childhood dreams of a lambo or travelling the world constantly as a nomad. They just use the ebonics that most people are tailored towards. Same message, different language. But no you're right. Hate it because of those dumb airhorns and swag swag swag.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Lynk3

I already defended hip-hop on page one. I also posted a noah23 video, on page one, my favorite hip-hop/rap artist.

The only metal video I posted in this thread was to show an example of how metal is on par with hip-hop in regards to espousing violent lyrics.

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I wonder how many more people listen to hip hop despite the complaints of negative lyrics versus heavy metal...Even though I dislike most hip hop I do listen to it but oddly enough never finding myself listening to heavy metal music..hard to make the comparison in my case...

posted on Jun, 26 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I'm not a huge fan of Rap/Hip-Hop, But I like some of the material that an artist like Eminem puts out. Notice that I don't call him a musician. I just don't it like when certain artists steal a riff from a rock song. Eddie Van Halen was pissed when Tone Loc took the main riff from "Jamie's Crying" to create "Wild Thing". It was akin to drawing a full smile on the Mona Lisa and calling it your own. At the time, all an artist had to do was acknowledge from whom it came from and not give song-writing credit to the original source. I believe this has changed in publishing/copyright criteria. I think song-writing credit now must be shared. It all boils down to the money factor in the end. But an artist must have some originality in their craft to be successful. One can't ride on the back of someone else's success at call it their own. That could be a reason some don't like Rap/Hip-Hop.
edit on 26-6-2014 by RossWellOldMexico because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Hopsin explains...

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jephers0n

Was hoping I wasn't the only one who knew who Hopsin was. And to think he started off rapping the same content as older Slim Shady just shows the good character of some of these artists. He built a successful label with nothing, made his video suite by attaching a camera to a shopping cart, and had the same starting equipment as me, basic fl studio and crappy mic. He then took the goods and left the label because he couldn't handle the politics of big business. Which I commend him for.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I can't stand rap or hip hop. To me it's just irritating nonsense. I can't deal with country music or classical music either. Awful stuff. I like Hard Rock or Electric Blues and sometimes softer rock. Depends on my mood.

ETA .. okay, I'll admit my guilty pleasure ... Sinatra.
edit on 6/27/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fargoth

You need more classical Satan in your diet.

I dont like Satan, he is an A-hole. Last time he came over he drank all my beer and ate all my cheeseits.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
I can't stand rap or hip hop. To me it's just irritating nonsense. I can't deal with country music or classical music either. Awful stuff. I like Hard Rock or Electric Blues and sometimes softer rock. Depends on my mood.

ETA .. okay, I'll admit my guilty pleasure ... Sinatra.

Old blue eyes is a beast.

I love me some Sinatra.

posted on Jun, 27 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lynk3

I do because I appreciate music and in every music thread, the genre is shot down and spammed with metal videos instead of people who appreciate the genre adding to the pool of that particular thread's focus. In this case, there should be people trying to redeem hiphop and counter the bad reputation it has. This is not a metal thread and the excessive posting of metal is technically off-topic.

If had anything in it besides stupid more would "appreciate" it. Instead it is mostly all trash.

Eminem has done more good for it than anyone else, hopsin....this guy is very good, I actually want to listen to his rap music.

If there were even 3 mainstream rappers like him, I would be one of its biggest fans.

There are none, they are, for the most part, all POS bragging about being criminals and doing to harm to everyone they have to to get "rich'.

It is very pathetic to most of us.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join