It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangers of steroid nasal sprays

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hello. I am going through the same stuff right now. Like yourself, it took me awhile to make the connection to this spray. I'm sure we are talking about the same n spray. I am currently suffering from GERD, and I have already been to emergency twice this week. I have been off the spray two days now and feeling completely awful and just off. I'm hoping I will feel better down the road as I can not work right now because of the anxiety and other side effects. Like yourself my doctor was unaware of the serious side effects of this nasal spray. Ever considered taking them on and filing a lawsuit?
edit on 18-12-2015 by Scocar258 because: Spelling

edit on 18-12-2015 by Scocar258 because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 18 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Good thread. I have one vice and that is my addiction to Afrin nasal spray. After suffering a terrible nosebleed I tried to get off the stuff but had to start one nostril at a time. It's been over a year and that one nostril still gets plugged up. I'm so miserable!!

People need to stay off ALL nasal sprays.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: meemaw
Thanks meemaw While searching, I've also come across many similar references on various boards, including thousands of similar side effects description on Ask a Patient

My story is very similar to yours, including the side effects. From a completely healthy, athletic guy, I turned into a complete mess in less than three months of using this spray on and off. The most awful thing for me is that since stopping using the spay 78 days ago, many of the side effects, including severe dizziness, anxiety and off balance feeling have not improved. The good news however is that after not sleeping for a few months, or sleeping just a few hours a day, in the last three weeks, I am able to get 5-7 hours of sleep, though wake up every two hours, at times with pounding heart. In the last three months I went though a complete medical including all possible scans, like MRI, CT, US, etc. All tests, including the scans came back negative, and I have not been taking any other medication, including prescription or OTC, so it's obvious that this particular chemical did not agree with me. The doctors are quick to diagnose with nonsense since they have no idea what's really happening, and are convinced that a nasal spray can't cause such severe side effects. For example, when I finally managed to see a neurologist, after a 5 minute evaluation he diagnosed me with "daily migraines". His exact words were "We don't know what's causing it, and can't fix it. However, I can recommend beta blockers, anti-seizure, or an antidepressant medication. I don't know which one will work, so you'd need to try and see". At the same time, my family doc's words were "Well, the tests are fine, so, whatever is that you are feeling, must be in your head. You may need to see a psychiatrist, though it will take a while since they are very busy when it's covered by OHIP..."

If anyone went through the same withdrawal, please let me know if there is anything at all that could be done to make symptoms go away, fast. As I'm writing this, I'm sitting in my favorite lazy chair scared of moving my eyes or my head since I feel off balance even when sitting down. Thank G*D, walking is not too bad.

I've tried every suggestion received to date from various sources, including increasing my magnesium intake, supplementing B and C vitamins and fish oil, and eating an extremely balanced and nutritious food, which I've always done. That said, some vitamins and supplements make the matters worse, especially the fish oil.

Thanks in advance for any information you could share!

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Was it Flonase?! Now I'm worried, because my 12 yr. old is on it twice a day, for severe sinus attacks, & sinus drippage......HES ONLY 12!!!! Please let me know if it was Flonase?!!!! Maybe I can try to ween him off it a bit if so????
edit on 10/30/16 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Boy did this thread surface in the nick of time. I was about to get Rx filled for my nasonex.

I'm not going to now. I've heard similar stories about the over the counter nasal sprays, but not the prescribed ones.
I don't want these issues. Guess I'll just keep a sinus headache. I do have some saline nose spray, and I guess I need to learn to use one of those neti-pot things. yuck. I'll order one I guess. Hope it's not as gross as it looks. They give lessons on you-tube.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: j.r.c.b.

My nephew used Nasonex twice a day when he was around that age. He didn't have any side effects, but he only used it for about a year.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Phew, thanks so much!!! I'm literally shaking right now, I was getting so worried!! I'm the same as far as Benadryl. I cannot take that stuff! Makes me feel really odd, double vision, high anxiety, shaky......I have awful allergies, but I can't take much, because everything that can help me, makes me feel too weird! But I don't care about me, I'm more worried about my little guy!! Pediatrician has him on it continuously, going on 2 years now.......

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Hm. I think with a first complaint, or any side effect you might notice, I'd take him off of it. Just be on the look-out.

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Thanks so much! I'll be on constant watch now! Thank you so much O.P.!! Great informative thread!! And please, if anyone else can share their stories, I sure would like to hear them! S&F

posted on Oct, 30 2016 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Sorry for jumping the gun since I was not asked. The spray you have mentioned is a glucocorticoid, meaning that in my view, and based on the www.askapatient.com..., may have the same side effects.

posted on Nov, 29 2016 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Hi, Just read your post (new to abovetopsecret) and I found it very interested indeed.
I have been suffering with Chronic Rhinitis for a few years and in May 2016 had surgery (fine Endoscopic Sinus Surgery) or (FESS) due to polyps in Ethmoid/maxillary & sphenoid sinuses, also Inferior Turbinate reduction.
I have been on a well known nasal spray since Dec 2015 Av***ys and been advised by my consultant to continue with it indefinitely along with nasal irrigation twice a day.
Since Dec 2015 I have been feeling like # and was told it was because of my sinus infection and would go away once I had the operation, unfortunately I still feel bad, I have headaches, nausea, congestion, dizzyness, fatigue and general malaise among-est other things. I have had blood tests CT scans eye examinations, sleep Apnea test< Doctors say I am suffering from Anxiety!!!
I have tried various diets I have air filter/ Dehumidifier/ etc etc etc.
I seen your post after hours of research and decided to stop taking nasal spray.
Its only been a couple of days but already I feel like I am slowly getting back to my old self, when I think about the timing of my symptoms it all leads back to taking the nasal spray.
Keeping my fingers crossed that I have found the culprit Av***ys.!!!
Thank you so much and God bless

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
That's true, sometimes nasal steroid spray can cause side effects, that's why it's unadvisable for people who have recently experienced nose surgical intervention, suffer from nose infection, are expecting a child or breastfeeding or suffer from pulmonary tuberculosis.

posted on Feb, 3 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
As for the persistent infections, any steroid you take can open you to infection when used for a prolonged period of time.

That is generally listed as one possible side effect on the package inserts. They are powerful anti-inflammatory and certain of your immune system responses are inflammatory responses, so they can be immuno-suppressant.

My doctor has given me steroids to help get me past bronchitis but that is because I have asthma and it exacerbates the inflammatory response in my bronchial tubes, but he also gives me the appropriate antibiotics too to treat the bacterial infection, and the steroids are a limited course.

posted on Mar, 6 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Steroid nasal sprays rarely cause side-effects. This is because they are applied directly to the nose and very little of this medicine is absorbed into the body. Occasionally, they cause dryness, crusting, and bleeding of the nose. If this occurs, stop it for a few days and then restart.

posted on Mar, 18 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Wow , Thanks so much for the information . I was just prescribed Steroid nasal spay last month because of some swelling and allergies. I had Septoplasty and Turbinate reduction surgery 2 years ago. The surgery seemed to clear up most of my problems but still have very little swelling , that's why the steroids prescription. The ENT/ Surgeon prescribed me a Steroid nasal spay for 2 months only for (swelling ) and told me to pick up some Claritin or generic brand for the allergies. After using this steroid spray a over the past month and half I noticed these exact symptoms that you had mentioned above. This week seemed to get so much worse for me especially palpitations and brain fog. I was taking the prescribed 2x per day everyday for a month then once per day per day for the next month. This last week the symptoms I experienced definitely appeared to be progressing in severity in the order i listed below.

Brain fog
Arrhythmias palpitations
vertigo
insomnia
coughing up mucus
hoarseness

Many of the Side Effect that you (MEEMAW ) and I myself experienced are not even mentioned on any website, not even on the side effects paper that came with my prescription. (" if you feel faint stop taking it ") that from a popular manufacture of this drug. WTF?

I was thinking got to be the Steroids so I decided to stop last night.( bottle is almost out . ) I also just happen to run into your post this afternoon searching for an article post I read on ATS about the use minerals in treatment for menopause and all around general health. ( wife wanted me to check ATS on that )

I can see why the ENT Surgeon only prescribed this for two month only. he even told I might experience some discomfort but I needed to get the swelling down he said. The Surgeon never gave me steroids after the surgery; said swelling will go down on its own and could take a while. Another thing I never knew is that any type nasal surgery swelling can take up-to two years to subside. I never want to go thought that again, but in the long run well worth it I can breath normal now. You know come to think of it the MD told me to stop taking the steroids if I experience any strange symptoms. So now I am. Dumb me how could I not remember that ! ( OH! , Brain FOG ! ) I hope my nasal swelling is gone I guess I will know in a week or so. MD said should work.

Thank you for posting your experience with that nasal spray. I'm sticking with off brand Claritin, The best thing I ever used clear up my nasal passages is( ALKALOL Nasal Wash. ) All natural stuff. My ENT surgeon gave this to after my surgery. Amazon sells this and the only place I can find it. best stuff ever to clear your sinuses. no side effects has mostly saline but it breaks up all the congestion and dried blood. very fast, good for after nasal surgery.

edit on 18-3-2018 by SJE98 because: added text

edit on 18-3-2018 by SJE98 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join