It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writers, and Anyone Else That's Interested: Share Your 'Drabbles'!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Father Bill’s Retires

I always respected Father Bill, but after the scandal, its hard to mention his name in polite society. You shouldn’t mess with God’s creations; he should know that of all people. Well serves him right for supporting that… they don’t call it what it is—an abortion clinic, and its not suitable in our area. Maybe on the other less affluent places, but we are all good Christians here. His replacement, Father McCain is such a wonderful fellow, so passionate. He has already got himself involved with a number of activities with the kids, he will get on here fine.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Paint and Trains

These kids had nothing else, poor kids with parents who don’t give a #. The sat on the curb as two train guards search their backpacks, removing any items of “interest”. Between them were about Fifty tins of quality spray paint. Also seized in evidence were a couple of black covered drawing pads, containing “evidence”. Another van pulls up, this time it’s the police. One by one they squeeze these poor teenagers into the back of the divvy van. The backpacks are placed into the rear of the train guards van, the tins of paint rattle as if nearly empty.

posted on Jul, 12 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Ok, Im getting a bit drunk and am not proofing properly, I think I might call it quits. At least its only a word limit tho--Imaging having to copy-fit that... Oh wait, I do remember those days.

Be damned Id do this for fun in pre-desktop publishing days.

ETA: Looked at the post times, 500 words in an hour, and quitting because of intoxication--I must be getting old.

She is NOT Gonzo
edit on 12-7-2014 by RifRAAF because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Heh. I've had those nights myself.

I look forward to future "sober" drabbles!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   
So many wonderful contributions! Wow!

Here's a humble offering from the moment:

"Unity"

She sat in the endless stark white of Base Programming. No whisper to be heard, no solid object save for her form. Her heart began to sink, turning inwards to create a black hole in an attempt to still itself. It was the only way out. Then suddenly, the impulse to manifest something beautiful took hold, and she fought back her self pity. She gently asked for help. The Master Programmer made quick keystrokes and beautiful dancing colors began to appear. She was not alone! Both smiled for the first time...and their love story began from that point towards infinity.

(and from the opposite end of the spectrum)

"The Natural Order"

They had finally landed on a suitable planet...gained landing clearance with the exchange of stolen technology from their home world. Yet all were thieves, liars, murders in exile...claiming to be refugees to get through the checkpoints. No one suspected anything. They looked so human. The Elders, ready for a new life free from past transgressions were happy and content with the new world, and grateful for the promise of rest. The youth, however, were eager to begin their cruel ways once again. The Elders took no pleasure and showed no mercy in making sure their retirement was not spoiled.

edit on 8/7/14 by GENERAL EYES because: additional contribution added

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Pandemic

It happened so quickly, no one was prepared; not even those that thought they were.
First, they said, "Nothing to worry about. Go about your business."
Then, they said, "Sure, it's bad, but it couldn't happen here, we have the infrastructure to handle it."
But they didn't.
Stores were ransacked, and emptied. People were attacked, and victimized whenever they ventured out.
We were told, "Don't go outside, or you'll be shot."
Airborne disease, and martial law; that was the 'new normal'.
My kids are hungry; I'll risk the bullet, and the contagion.
What? Oh, it's nothing; just a little cough.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

edit on 12-10-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

ugh

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
HOWLS
I wouldn’t have signed the lease if I’d known werewolves were breeding on the property. I’d mistaken them for real wolves until I witnessed a half-wolf/ half-lady bite a hedgehog and drag it into the woods. Slowly, I began noticing things about my neighbors: large incisors, earthy smell, inappropriate body hair, and rudimentary tails. I could not spend another night on this plague ridden farm. If bitten, I just wear a bee keeper’s veil to hide my fangs and fur. I wanted to return to London, where werewolves roamed in Hyde Park but didn't howl.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

The Ravens

In fall a fog rolled in from the river in waning day. I stood up to my hips in dead summer in gold, liminal light and saw them. So many, backs to the south, one per post. The only solid things left, close and unafraid.

Initially, I felt an interloper; that barely tolerated foreigner that accidentally wandered into strange country. They stared through me; I was a blur in their landscape, some wraith, a Barely There. They were more real than I, so I gave ground.

Breathless with distance and shame, I looked back, not one had left his perch.

posted on Oct, 12 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
We met in a barn during winter time. It smelled of fresh sawdust and rain. The fireplace with crimson logs crackling at laughing our awkward silence. I was taught to hide my feelings, to keep the seeds buried deep inside where no one can harm them. That winter night in your safe embrace, my feelings began to bloom. We talked all night until the wild rooster began to shout and the barn was enveloped with a garden of wildflowers. When the room began to glitter from the sun shining through the old windows, I knew you were my farmer.

posted on Oct, 17 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   
The Old Man In My Closet

It's 3AM, and I should be asleep, but there's an old man in my closet.
Each night, he scratches at my closet door; if I'd known the scratching's origin, I'd have been alarmed.
As time passed, I grew more comfortable, and was able to sleep; that is, until I awoke to find him standing over me, staring with milky eyes.
Apparently, he cannot get to me through my blankets, so they're my nocturnal shield.
The scratching's stopped, in it's place, husky breaths fill my ear.
I dare not peek, for fear of his intentions.
Dear God! My feet are uncovered!
edit on 10/17/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: Typo

posted on Oct, 19 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   

The Dream

I lay down to sleep like any other night. This night, however, I don't have my usual mostly boring Dreams.
This night I go into a New and Wonderful World! It is lit softly by Silver and Purple lights. As I walk down the sidewalk I notice There are no light stands, but the light comes from everywhere. I notice my arms are not solid. They are a wispy shape of swirling lights. I look up and take flight! Soaring through the sky until I reach the Moon! I now realize, this is no Dream. I'm on the Astral Plane!

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Great Stuff & what a fun thread!

ONE HUNDRED WORDS

"One HUNDRED!"

"Just one hundred?"

"That is what the prof said."

"But, surely it can't be done?"

"It can, and indeed HAS been done, and several times I might add!"

This was not going to be easy...
"Where do you even begin to start? By the time you have formed the idea, you'll be all out of words!"

"That's for YOU to figure out"

"Well, It's too hard trying to think of an interesting topic for such a short story. What if I just wrote about drabbles themselves?"

"You mean write a drabble about writing drabbles?
- It will never work!"

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Forced Freedom

Sirens sound. Any reason for you speeding today? Just in a hurry. Sit tight for a second and I'll be back.

Okay, here's your warning for the speeding. However l see today that your son was late for school and your not meeting your nutritional guidelines, any reason for this?

Yes officer. Recently l acquired a second job to make sure l was doing things right, as per the national freedom act requirements. However I've been a little sluggish and failed to meet all breakfast requirements this week.

Duly noted. Please report to health ministry for proper guidance and evaluation.

edit on 20-10-2014 by Daedal because: edit

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Off the cuff drabbling attempt:

Title: 'Rejection Redemption'

"Stop it right now!" she smirked at the vanilla-colored cyborg wannabe. "'Do you think dressing like that makes me want to sleep with you??! Bah, men!".

She stomped out of the room while purposely leveling one of those practiced withering looks.

The cyborg, sent from its home planet to calculate just how much gumption and get-up-and-go earthlings had (in anticipation of the full-scale attack), watched her leave. Opening the window, stepping out, and flying to its cloud-shaped ship, the cyborg decided. Whatever hopes they had betaside, the invasion fleet would have to find greener pastures.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
'Two Shakes' Is More Than Enough

Alan awoke in the middle of the night, feeling his bladder's oppressive weight.
Each step was a test of his bodily control; the impact of foot-to-floor threatened to 'burst the dam'.
After an 'eternity', he stood dazedly before the toilet.
With the ease of practiced professional, Alan removed his 'Little Fella' from its cottony confines.
Urine began to flow, and Alan's head lolled; he relished the relief.
He didn't notice when the stream began to turn crimson, and he never would.
Eight pints of precious fluid left his body without his knowing, leaving behind a dry, withered husk.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Yuck. Star anyway.

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

Yuck. Star anyway.

Heh, they can't all be cute and cuddly.

edit on 10/20/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: Typo

posted on Oct, 20 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Apprehensions

Nurse C-13 reminds herself Doctor A has preformed this operation many times, she still had apprehensions about what she was about to do.

The operating room was ready and Nurse C-13 rolled in the equipment needed for this very special surgery.

The patient had been carefully selected, no living relatives to complicate matters. Special ops had extracted the homeless man from the streets this very morning, a forgotten human, perfect for Project Eve to exploit.

Nurse C-13 shudders as Doctor A implants the chip that allows the government to monitor the patient for the rest of his life.

posted on Oct, 23 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Paying The Rent

The sickly sweet aroma filled his nostrils, as he seared the meat on the stove.
Work's been slow, he thought, There's not much else I could've done, right?
His ears delightfully devoured the sizzling sounds emanating from the pan.
Not many people dine at expensive restaurants in a recession, do they?
The main course slid dutifully onto his plate; he garnished it with cilantro.
How was I supposed to pay the rent with no income? he reasoned, as he sat down at the table.
He relished the meal, even though his landlord would've tasted better with apple rings, and parsley.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join