It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liquor

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Whiskey is my poison of choice. More specifically, Crown Royal... with a splash of gingerale for colour and a couple of ice cubes to keep 'er chilled.

Oh, and nothing beats a nice icy cold red amber ale in a frosty mug, steak on the bbq (medium-rare please), and good friends for company on a hot summer's day.

It's these little pleasures in life that make it all worth while.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
When it comes to liquer .. Drambuie neat with a good cigar ..

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Frangelico. Nectar of the Gods.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Asynchrony

I drink infrequently, but I do like a really good sippin' whiskey, rum or tequila. My favorite mixing alkyhol (lol) is vodka. The whiskeys, rums and tequilas I prefer of the premium variety and sip on the rocks.

Beer? Tastes like horse pee to me. The only reason I will touch beer is if that is all there is and I want to be sociable. Then I will nurse one or 2.

Wine can be good paired with cheeses and fruit or a good meal. Otherwise just gimme 2 fingers of a good sippin rum (my favorite)

edit on 20-6-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Whiskey is my poison of choice. More specifically, Crown Royal... with a splash of gingerale for colour and a couple of ice cubes to keep 'er chilled.

Oh, and nothing beats a nice icy cold red amber ale in a frosty mug, steak on the bbq (medium-rare please), and good friends for company on a hot summer's day.

It's these little pleasures in life that make it all worth while.

I forgot to mention Crown Royal. I have so many of those little bags! haha
I use them for everything from guitar picks to other things.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677

I drink infrequently, but I do like a really good sippin' whiskey, rum or tequila. My favorite mixing alkyhol (lol) is vodka. The whiskeys, rums and tequilas I prefer of the premium variety and sip on the rocks.

Beer? Tastes like horse pee to me. The only reason I will touch beer is if that is all there is and I want to be sociable. Then I will nurse one or 2.

Wine can be good paired with cheeses and fruit or a good meal. Otherwise just gimme 2 fingers of a good sippin rum (my favorite)

Before I stopped, I was actually liking the Captain Morgan spiced rum. That stuff is good! I also like Bacardi rum. 151 rum was big back in the day in my circle. There was some other rum but I can't remember....

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

HA! Try this: Ron Zacapa

It lists on the link for 49.99 but I buy it for $34 locally (Dallas). This is the finest sipping rum I have ever tasted (not that I typically sip the upper crust rums) and I think it is a fine price for such a fine rum. 23 years old!! All it needs is a couple of frozen rocks and a glass...sip and be amazed lol. (I was!).

Try it once, you will never say 151 again

I have been spending a few bucks on pricier liquors. I figure since I don't drink often, I should widen my palate.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I don't drink often, but when I do, if I'm drinking something like a beer, I go for hard ciders. I'm not a grain alcohol person and I've never found a beer I like. I also like most wines especially Japanese plum wine in small amounts as it gets really sweet.

For "serious" drinking I like mixed drinks and I like to mix my mixed drinks. I'm not big on straight shots although my cousin does a mean Jell-O shot. My favorite mixed drinks are the margarita and the Long Island iced tea, but I like the Killer Kool-Aid for getting buzzed fast. In order to avoid the mother of all hangovers (a real migraine), I have to try to keep my drinks matched with water, so it's pretty hard to really have fun drinking.

I've only been drunk off my feet once, and I've never drunk myself sick.

These days, I'm usually just a casual drinker.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I like Rum.

My favourites are, in ascending order of personal enjoyment one being the best of the least, and the last being the best. All but the last, are, in my opinion, best served with cola, ice, and a slice of lime.

1) Lanbardi dark rum, which is what is called a house rum, meaning that it is served in a bar as an alternative to a superior brand, at a much reduced cost. It's dark, sweet, and cheap.

2) Bacardi Oakheart, which is the Bacardi take on spiced rum. It's ok, but hardly the best thing that has ever been in my face.

3) Sailor Jerry's, which used to be my second favourite rum, until they changed the recipe. It's spiced with vanilla and lime if I recall correctly, which should not prevent it being ordered with a slice of lime.

4) The Kraken. It must rise! It's dark, infused with caramel essences, and is therefore sweet, but is also strong, and the flavour is very well balanced.

5) Bacardi eight year matured gold edition rum. This is a rum which is neither white rum, nor the traditional dark colour, but a light yellowy colour. It's flavour is exactly as you would expect, except for the smokey taste, which likens it to a whiskey in some respects. However, the other elements of the flavour mark it out as a really well crafted liquor, and easily the king of the rums I have drunk so far. It is the only one that I like the odd neat drink of.

I currently have a bottle of the fifth and finest of my selection, sitting on the shelf in my kitchen. When I got it, at Christmas time, I decided that no matter what happened between then and the end of the festive period, I would leave at least an inch in the bottom of the bottle. Since then, I have added a slosh of every bottle of rum I have consumed over the course of the year, and intend to continue to do so until next New Years.

So on that day, I will be opening a concoction which has only been opened in order to add more different rums, for three hundred and sixty five days. The rest of the time, it will have been sweating to itself. I fully expect to be upside down in a tree by the time the clock strikes one in the morning on New Year's Day, 2015.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Ooo man, just take out the strawberries and i am your friend. It sounds goor right now

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

4) The Kraken.

Oooo... that's actually a rum I enjoy myself once in a while. I didn't realize you guys had it over on your side of the pond. It is sweet with the carmel-ly undertones... but that hint of licorice and vanilla over the cinnamon/clove spicing gives it just the right "kick", in my opinion.

It's the one rum I actually enjoy straight up over ice for nothing other than it's tasty "sipping value".

You're the first person I've seen (other than hubby and myself) that is familiar with this rum !

We first bought it just because we got a kick out of the name and the funky bottle design when we spotted it in our local liquor mart a few years back. We enjoy experimenting and trying new things when it comes to alcoholic beverages, so we snatched it off the shelf and gave it a go.

I also use it to make my homemade men's 'Bay Rum Aftershave Splash', it gives off a wonderful aroma of various essences after you allow it to "breath" on your skin for an hour or so... not to mention hubby enjoys me ramming my nose into his neck 5 times a day just to get a "whiff". It doesn't smell great from the bottle, but it's yummy once it goes on the skin.

I used to use Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum to make the aftershave with, but I find the hints of licorice and vanilla in the Kraken to be a far more interesting fragrant undertone.

Cheers !

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Oh I don't know... I could sit with my nose over a bottle of Kraken for a considerable time. I think is aroma is one of the nicest I come across in my comings and goings in my life. I imagine it must make for a very nice gentleman's fragrance, although, on behalf of hairy chested men everywhere, I must point out that a man should smell of engineering grease, burnt metal, rust, and badassery.

Another reason to like The Kraken, is that when one is a hairy metal head, and is about to open a bottle of rum in good company, it is customary where the Kraken is concerned, to open the bottle, while saying something like...

Gather closer me hearties! Come hither, and hear the tale of woe, that I shall now bestow upon ye. 'Twas a sinister wind that blew from the north, that fateful night near three hundred years ago, when a ship with no name set out to sea, loaded with treasures hoarded by theives and brigands, headed for an isle which appears on no map. Thunder and lightning rent the heavens in twain, and rain as thick as to blind a man to all that lay beyond a swords length from him, battered the crew of the burgeoning vessel as it made its way from port.

The first mate had warned his captain, in loud and tremulous voice "We must head back! This storm is cursed! Either the ship will sink, or the damned sea will rise to swallow it!" But the captain payed no heed. On they pressed, no sleep, no rest, for a day and a night under the veil of this storm. Twice they thought they would lose the main mast, and thrice was the ship in danger of turning over, such was the scale of the waves which smashed against the hull. Only the grace of God, or the hand of the fates prevented it.

All of a sudden, they were becalmed, the seas became a millpond, and the skies became clear as day, for as far as the eye could see, and for some four days it seemed as if the ill fated voyage was not doomed to kill them all, as it had seemed when they left port. On the sixth day though, as they were progressing further and further into the uncharted waters they were destined for, storms were seen on the horizon, fat and black with omens and dark portent, and within hours, the nameless vessel was once again awash with a rain issued from the hand of God himself, with strength as if to smite the sinners and bastards in the crew from the decks themselves!

The captain grinned a rictus smile at his first mate, and so doing spake thusly, the final words on that vessel "Well lad! The only thing that could make for a prettier day than this, would be..."

And now just as then, ye scurvy knaves, the tale must end, because you see...THE KRAKEN ARISES!

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I'm a big fan of Balvenie single malt Scotch. I also like Delamain cognac. Nothing better with a Montecristo cigar on my porch than either of those two.

I keep a well stocked bar and, depending on the season, often make seasonal cocktails for myself or guests using herbs from my garden or fresh fruit from the farmers market. My next venture will be various infused liquor and mixers.

posted on Jun, 30 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asynchrony
Everyone at least tries liquor at some point in their lives.

Nope..
Im 40 and have never had it nor have I held a cigarette or know what any drugs look like.
I dont need of those to relax or be social .
Lots of people , enjoy those things..Not me..

Iced Tea is my stupid vice..
okay and Insomnia cookies.
edit on 30-6-2014 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Shiver me timbers !

Dang, now I want to sit down and enjoy a bottle of Kraken with you... We could compare hair lengths whilst exchanging pirate stories, laddy.

... although I don't think you'd enjoy my taste in heavy metal music, I'm pretty old school.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Gin, either neat (love the flavour) or with Cranberry juice. Or some dark European beer. I rarely drink, but when I do, it's pretty much only ever one of them them, or some wine.

posted on Jul, 1 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Well I am good with anything from Iron Butterfly, Led Zepp, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, right through Metallica (early years only, previous to the Black Album), all the way up to more modern stuff, like Carcass, Emperor, and even more recent, the work of Devin Townsend and others.

Good rum and heavy metal go together like Kung and Fu!

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Now you're talking my language...

Here's a couple of old tunes to get your juices flowing:

Motorhead - Ace of Spades

Budgie - Breadfan

Release the Kraken !

It's refreshing to meet a "youngin" who has an appreciation for the origins of metal music, not too many do. To be honest, I enjoy listening to just about any genre of music and can turn up the volume on anything from Mozart to Marilyn Manson, depending on my mood. Needless to say, the "schizophrenic" music collection I've gathered over the years leaves most people, um... speechless.

Not too many folks my age can handle listening to some of the heavier stuff, so it's the type of music that tends to be one my more solo practices when nobody else is around... Actually come to think of it, not too many people have an appreciation for Tchaikovsky either.

If you're a connoisseur of rums, have you ever tried Appleton Estate jamaican spiced rum ? It's another nice sipping rum with hints of orange and banana in it. Adding a splash of gingerale over ice is really good with this particular rum too. I'm not so sure about the coke and lime thing with this one though, it might kill the flavourful undertones ?

Bottoms up !

posted on Jul, 2 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

When I was still in the womb, mother would sit in front of a pair of technics speakers, belly closest to the speaker, and play the good old stuff, classical, Deep Purple, Led Zepp and the rest, into herself. The fact that I have been a headbanger since I was a little kid, is probably nothing to do with any of that.....

Regarding the Appleton Jamaica rum, no I have not tried that, but if I come across a drop, you can bloody well bet that I will!

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

With New Year's right up ahead and around the bend this thread deserves to be resurrected if for anything then for this photo collage I made of my favorite liquors.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join