It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impressive APC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Snapped a pic of this bad boy on the highway on the way to work yesterday...this is an incredibly beastly vehicle...

Wish I knew what it was I couldn't get a decent angle on the emblem on the front but this is a heavy dose of iron and technology...by the looks of the trailer that is carrying that thing around its gotta be extremely heavy too...

anyone know the details on this mech?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Sly1one
That is an MRAP Mine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle.

It's an Army MRAP.

Marine MRAP s are configured a bit differently.

These things were the main vehicle I saw in Afghanistan.

They do have their limits though.

They are made by Oshkosh

edit on pThu, 19 Jun 2014 12:32:03 -0500201419America/Chicago2014-06-19T12:32:03-05:0030vx6 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Its one of these..

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I think.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sly1one
Snapped a pic of this bad boy on the highway on the way to work yesterday...this is an incredibly beastly vehicle...

Wish I knew what it was I couldn't get a decent angle on the emblem on the front but this is a heavy dose of iron and technology...by the looks of the trailer that is carrying that thing around its gotta be extremely heavy too...

anyone know the details on this mech?

Wheels flat so it doesn't gain momentum?

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Its one of these..

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I think.

That's the one IMO.

The Wiki article infers that 15lbs of explosive will damage/immobilize the vehicle, while keeping the occupants injury free.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

I'm assuming the wheels are flat simply for transportation purposes...but that's an assumption so meh....apparently these things weight up to 14 tonnes....which explains the trailer bed its riding on.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Upon further examination and comparison between the OP photographs, and the photograph in the wiki I linked to, the only difference is that in the image I posted, the rear wheels are of a slightly different sort, and the footplates near the door are different. Everything else checks out though, wheel base, window shape and position, the badge on the nose, the light arrays...

It's an International Max Pro, apparently made by Navistar International, with assistance from an Israeli firm. I am hardly an expert, but it would have thought that certain features are modular, so that the vehicle can be fitted out for different duties.
edit on 19-6-2014 by TrueBrit because: Grammar and spelling advert.

edit on 19-6-2014 by TrueBrit because: Edit to point out my error in the last edit reason. Advert? What? Really? Come on Brit, pull your finger out!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

If you ever fancy identifying vehicles like these, then I would suggest looking through the lists here...

en.m.wikipedia.org...

I imagine that similar pages can be found for the vehicles used by most military organisations.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
A normal interstate truck load can weigh up to 45,000 lbs, or 22.5 tons.

That looks like a combat trailer, it has extra tires so it can keep moving with some damage. Extra tires also spread out the weight on delicate bridges.

The tires could be flat for stability (lower center of gravity) or to make the load shorter so as to get under low clearance. (bridges and overpasses and low wires)

Normal legal interstate loads have to be lower than 13 feet 6 inches
edit on 19-6-2014 by Semicollegiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2014 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Impressively flat tires

new topics

top topics

join