It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What should the Washington Redskins change their name to?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

Lol the thread was mainly people chiming in with funny new names for the team, instead of trying to figure out why people get offended, insulting people cause there not thick skinned.

I find it offending thats all i can say, not here to change your mind just trying to show you theres another side to a coin, and no it does not mean im right.

Fair enough. We can agree to disagree.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Yo the names people get called ?

The only people that give them 'power' is the people themselves.

I gets called all kinds of names, by all sorts.

Sticks and stones people.

Sticks and stones, but words will never harm me.

Have people become so wussified in America ?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I've heard someone say, "The Washington D.C.vers"

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I really hope they change their name into something that makes a statement against the conditions that led to them having to change their name.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: smithjustinb
I really hope they change their name into something that makes a statement against the conditions that led to them having to change their name.

My thoughts as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Yes, neo96, they have become that wussified, but it makes sense. Think of the powerful feeling some will get when (and if) they're able to change a word. They can say "The owner, fans, and players wanted to keep the name, but I told them they couldn't. HA! Look at me, world."

It pays to belong to a victim group, especially if one hasn't been personally victimized. It means you can demand special benefits and can order people to use the words you want them to use. That type of person wants to be a King, a Tyrant, a Dictator. "If I don't like it, it's illegal and I can fix the penalty."

It fits together. An individual, or even a thousand individuals, can't peacefully make anyone do anything. Ahh, but the government can make people do things. So, pressure is put on the various relevant government agencies. The protesters are miniature tyrants, they go to the government because they want the government to be a big tyrant (as long as it agrees with them). So far, they're doing quite well in encouraging the government to become a tyranny.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I don't think they are going to change it. Haven't they faced this twice before, appealed it and won?

Last I heard, they are planning another appeal. I personally hope they succeed again.
edit on 6/18/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

Yes, neo96, they have become that wussified, but it makes sense. Think of the powerful feeling some will get when (and if) they're able to change a word. They can say "The owner, fans, and players wanted to keep the name, but I told them they couldn't. HA! Look at me, world."

I think the name was chosen as an homage to native Americans.

Brave,Fierce Fighters on the battle field.

If the name had any negative connotations to it they never would have chosen it.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I think you are spot on!

It's not so much the actual word, it is an attempt to see if they can make someone change a word.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

You talk too much sense there Neo. I think you are right and I think the others fighting for the change know you are right as well. I just don't think they care. They want it changed... because they can. Simple as that IMO. Something to put on their resume of world changes and superior morality.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

You talk too much sense there Neo. I think you are right and I think the others fighting for the change know you are right as well. I just don't think they care. They want it changed... because they can. Simple as that IMO. Something to put on their resume of world changes.

It's like 'hey that football team? The Washington Redskins. They picked that 'Redskin' name to intentionally insult themselves'.

That is what some people are saying.

Because that is the name they go by.
edit on 18-6-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Just a question as I dont live in the US. But has this name change thing came about because of this video on Jon Oliver last week?

Is it just me or is someone getting a little scared in office about the powers Jon seems to be getting? He's managed to get right at the throats of those involved in many issues and brings a wake of supporters behind him. I'm keeping a watchful eye on his show each week and hope it's around for a long while to come.
edit on 18-6-2014 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I am offended by The Fighting Irish of Notre Dame.

You think it's funny to have a drunk Irish guy carrying a jug of booze.

How can I feel good about myself while others are mocking my Hereitage ?

Not all Irish people go around drunk. How do you think my kids feel ?

I had too stop watching baseball. The San Diego Padres also offend me.

I am not Catholic....I demand they change their name.

I am to weak minded to see it for what it is.

Besides, I am a Cowboy Fan...But, they are so mean to horses.
edit on 18-6-2014 by whyamIhere because: Because I am so upset...

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

I'm baffled (once again). What do you mean by "This sudden name change?" I didn't know the Redskins changed their name? I didn't even think there was any significant legal action against them.

The bit in the Trademarks office is a joke, they did the same thing on the same grounds a few years ago, and the District Court reversed them in a flash. That will happen again, unless Obama's appointees get the word.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I shouldn't post when I'm ill. I thought a decision was made to change the name by the trademark board, but I see they said nope now. Wow, I am really off today. I should go back to bed.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

You know what? I've never thought about that, but given my own heritage I will stand with you in your offendedness (made it up). Being Irish, I don't always drink, but when I do I don't want it plastered on Tshirts and hats. (No pun intended as that would be offensive)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Dear Qumulys,

Please don't apologize in the slightest. I'm sorry you're not well, and wish you a speedy return. Besides, I'm just a strange guy, I like to poke around through links. (Obviously, I have no real life.)

Hope you don't mind a little more on the Trademarks Office. They told the team that they no longer had trademark rights on the logo. They could still use it, but it wasn't protected. That decision is on hold until the District Court hears it.

It's a mess, but to me, as many others, it seems we're spending too much time on it. A distraction perhaps? American silliness perhaps?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Oh hell I'm Irish and thought it was funny.

Couple of hundred years removed from the homeland.

But I gotta say that special day we Irish have isn't helped with 'St. Patricks Day'.

Where everyone uses it as an excuse to drink like a fish.
edit on 18-6-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Heading to the doctors in a few hours my noggin is pounding

Thanks for some clarification about the trademark board!
The general gist of what I was trying to get at was I've noticed that in the week following an episode of Jon Olivers show, the issues he talks about gets quite some notice on ats,tv, and the net in general. Especially when he took a swing at our idiot PM Abbot, people down under just seemed more aware of what a total boob he is, why it took an Englishmen on an American tv show to enlighten is a worry though.... After Jons show about net neutrality they managed to get the submissions webpage broken from the flood of hits. But yeah, I'm not sure how long this Redskins name thing has been an issue, but with Jon's quickly growing (and more informed) audience, perhaps he will make a very handy distraction if the wrong people get claws into him.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The name isn't going anywhere. This has happened before and the Redskins owners won on appeal to keep their trademark. I think it's happened at least twice before now. I don't think the owners should be forced by the government to change their name but they should do it. It's something called manners, not PC or anything else, just simple politeness. That's what grown ups do, when they realize something offends someone they stop doing it, they don't throw themselves on the floor screaming how unfair it is and that they can do whatever they want because it's a free country. Can and should are two different things, I guess the children around here haven't quite made it to that life lesson yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join