It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What should the Washington Redskins change their name to?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The Washington Rednecks.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

I am aware that the original term is debated still today.

Oxford Dictionary Definition:

Redskin is first recorded in the late 17th century and was applied to the Algonquian peoples generally, but specifically to the Delaware (who lived in what is now southern New York State and New York City, New Jersey, and eastern Pennsylvania). Redskin referred not to the natural skin color of the Delaware, but to their use of vermilion face paint and body paint. In time, however, through a process that in linguistics is called pejoration, by which a neutral term acquires an unfavorable connotation or denotation, redskin lost its neutral, accurate descriptive sense and became a term of disparagement. Red man is first recorded in the early 17th century and was originally neutral in tone. Red Indian is first recorded in the early 19th century and was used by the British, far more than by Americans, to distinguish the Indians of the subcontinent from the Indians of the Americas. All three terms are dated or offensive. American Indian and Native American are now the standard umbrella terms. Of course, if it is possible or appropriate, one can also use specific tribal names (Cheyenne, Nez Percé, etc.)

www.oxforddictionaries.com...

From Dictionary.com

World English Dictionary
redskin (ˈrɛdˌskɪn)

— n
an old-fashioned informal name, now considered taboo, for a Native American

[C17: so called because one particular tribe, the now extinct Beothuks of Newfoundland, painted themselves with red ochre]

dictionary.reference.com...

I have never heard it used as a term for dead Indian scalps.

I am aware of what the team says they feel the Redskin mascot means. Regardless of the definition, my point is that we can't start banning the use of words and phrases. Obviously not enough folks are offended to put a "hurting" on the team/franchise.

This is from the former team owner and some results from a poll:

Former Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke said, "I admire the Redskins name. I think it stands for bravery, courage, and a stalwart spirit and I see no reason why we shouldn't continue to use it." Supporters also refer to a public opinion poll published in 2004 in which 90% of those who identified as American Indians answered that they were "not bothered" by the name "Redskins" being used for the Washington football team.

The poll is from 2004, but even then a lot of American Indians didn't find it offensive.

I understand that a few do. But a few of everybody can find anything offensive. That's the point. There will always be something offensive with what people say and what they do. We can't restrict freedoms because of that. As much as I loathe Westboro Baptist Church and could almost puke every time Fred Phelps opened his mealy mouth, I could not hold truck with prohibiting his speech in any way.

Why?

Again, because it will spread. I know people think that it won't or don't even care that it might as long as they get what they want right now... But you are asking for the flood gates to open on banning any kind of speech. Is it worth that price? I don't think so.

I'm really not in the argument of whether it is offensive or not. What my argument is in essence is what are we opening ourselves up for when we make it illegal for someone to use a name? That's my argument as there is no doubt some are offended so it's a waste of time to debate whether they should be or not. Everyone is entitled to be offended by whatever they choose.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6/19/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: CryHavoc
The Washington Rednecks.

Now I DO find that highly offensive. I'm from the boondocks in Virginia. If they want to use rednecks then they need to up their game first.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: beezzer

The name Redneck will also have to be avoided.

What about those with "red" hair?

FEMA camps!

in all fairness, gingers should be carted off to camps before they eat our souls to replace their empty hearts.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: FatherStacks

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Thanks for being the sensible turd in the punch bowl.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Washington Scandals

or

Washington Lobbyists

You could have a giant Pfizer pill or a Halliburton oil drum as your mascot!

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:01 AM
link   

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" is a commonly quoted part of a dialogue in William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, in which Juliet argues that the names of things do not matter, only what things "are".

Link

You cannot load a word into a weapon and kill someone with it.
You cannot hurl a word at someone and hope to harm them with it.

The only way a word can cause harm is how it is interpreted by the individual.

Right now, in our current societal stage, we have words which have been deemed offensive. I won't bother listing them. Everyone knows what those words are, and T&C doesn't allow me to list them anyway.

What if society evolves, in a way, that is less "enlightened"?

What if society thought that the term "homosexual" was offensive? Many people have been quite open (on this site) about their feelings on the subject. Should their feelings on "homosexuality" be considered s valid?

In the previous few pages, I asked the question, "Where do we draw the line?"

I thought that we all came to a consensus on the issue. Apparently not.

From stereo-typing of the "drunken Irish", to "red neck", you'll find just about any group or any sub-population that might take offense to just about any given term.

And we can all feel good about one another if steps are taken to curb any given term, until it becomes a term you use and DO NOT find offensive.

to repeat;

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" is a commonly quoted part of a dialogue in William Shakespeare's play Romeo and Juliet, in which Juliet argues that the names of things do not matter, only what things "are".

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Washington Redlines.

Washington Nation Builders.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   

I seem to have put my post on the wrong or a duplicate thread. Anyway--I'll add it here:

a reply to: tovenar

Let's see . . . what could be a more fitting name?

"WASHINGTON TYRANTS"

"WASHINGTON CONTROLLERS"

"WASHINGTON OLIGARCHS"

"WASHINGTON GENOCIDAL MANIACS"

"WASHINGTON ELITES"

"WASHINGTON TRAITORS"

"WASHINGTON STOOGES" . . . as in globalist stooges

"WASHINGTON JERKS"

"WASHINGTON EVILS"

"WASHINGTON MANIPULATORS"

"WASHINGTON BLACK BOOTS"

"WASHINGTON GESTAPOS"

"WASHINGTON TRASHERS"

"WASHINGTON CHAOS PRODUCERS"

"WASHINGTON LIARS"

"WASHINGTON THIEVES"

"WASHINGTON WARDENS"

"WASHINGTON BRIBEES"

"WASHINGTON CORRUPTIONS"

. . .

. . .

At least such a name would help the citizens understand better what Washington D.C. is about . . . a lot closer to truth in advertising etc.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Washington United FC , then they'd sound like a proper football club

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
How about the Dirty Harry's?
or the Pussy Reids
i hate living in Nevada with this whiny scumbag in office

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
They should NOT change their name

I am not trying to change the topic but this is getting crazy

People just need to QUIT being soooo P.C. or what ever you want to call it

What is going on in this country

For God's sakes people if you don't like something don't look at it

I am soooo sick and tired of the minority crying about everything and affecting the Majority

Example - At a H.S graduation Youtube any of them it is the season,

NO ONE can mention God, Because it might offend someone. Well then explain why it is the entire crowd stands and claps except for a few

But it is those few that are causing the problem for the Masses.

You don't like what we do in America or our CORE beliefs GOOOOOOOOOOOO HOME, or SHUT THE HELL UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We as Americans need to grow a pair of stones and put an end to this

GOD BLESS
edit on 19-6-2014 by tow69 because: NA

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Copied from Strangepolitics.

Offensive Sports Team Names - Finally - Let's Fix Them ALL!

I agree with our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins.

One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay.

We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians.

If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

While we're at it, the Los Angeles Dodgers brings back bitter memories to Viet Nam vets and will have to go.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.

The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers---well that goes without saying . . . Wrong message to our children.

Also geographic names should be changed to reflect the current political mood:
Squaw Valley should be renamed Native American Married Woman Valley.
All references to Indians such as Indian River, Wells, Junction, Road, Springs, etc. will have to be changed.

Fortunately GM cancelled that slanderous vehicle named Pontiac.
Now just the Michigan city has to change its name to something more appropriate i.e. Bankrupt MI.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should.

Just the kind of thing the do-nothing congress loves . . .

With all of this in mind, it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "The Beavers." ?

The team that you will really have a problem find a new name for is the Cowboy. Every real cowboy I know is massively offended by the fact they can't.

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I thought of a suiting name : the inept politicians

The mascot can be a Pig in a suit and tie, there ya go

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
"The state reward for dead Indians has been increased to $200 for every red-skin sent to Purgatory. This sum is more than the dead bodies of all the Indians east of the Red River are worth

from the wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org...(slang)

posted on Jun, 19 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
washington redcoats....
it fits the general theme (:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:10 AM
link   
What happen?
edit on 20-6-2014 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Washington Wanabees.........................can be spelled with a Z at the end also.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer>> I wa slistening to local talk radio ( not nationally syndicated) and a regular douche bag caller chimed in on the topic. I've come to the conclusion that very often if a liberal/ left wing caller takes a side on an issue its not done out of support of the side but its generally done to hammer at somebody on the other side politically. He used the argument of whether or not you would use the term " Redskin" to describe somebody you knew who was a native American or would use the term to their face. Fair enough. I wouldn't call a Native American a "redskin". But I also wouldn't call them an " Indian" or a " Chief" or a "Brave" . So by using his argument, we'll have to change those other teams names. Yes, we've reached the gray area between insanity and stupidity.
Where can I get a job where I get paid to be offended?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
The Washington Whiners.

I personally think all of this PC bullhonk is ridiculous. I believe the problem is the victim culture perpetuated by the far-too vocal minority. All people should be proud of their heritage, instead of viewing their people and their history as a mark of victimhood or oppression that they can use as an excuse to complain. I'm proud of my Irish ancestry and I don't fly off the handle when I see the Fightin' Irish mascot, and that stereotype is even more archaic.

I think we should re-appropriate the term Redskin to mean someone who uses race, gender, religion, lifestyle or sexuality as a label so they can be a fashionable victim. This culture of Oppression Chic and political correctness needs to stop before it turns into a ridiculous world-wide game of one-downmanship; where people brag about how many of their ancestors died at the hands of whoever.

When everyone is a Redskin, no one will be.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join