It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trademark board rules against Washington Redskins name

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
A 'Redskin' Does, In Fact, Mean the Scalped Head of a Native American, Sold, Like a Pelt, for Cash

an excerpt from The Daily Republican newspaper in Winona, Minnesota from Sept. 24, 1863. It reads:

The State reward for dead Indians has been increased to $200 for every red-skin sent to Purgatory. This sum is more than the dead bodies of all the Indians east of the Red River are worth.

Those redskins were ripped from native heads, ripping apart families, tribes, the very essence of our tribal cultures. Redskins. Grotesque in every sense of the word.

My people should just get over it though..
God forbid though someone does something to a precious flag or your constitution..then it becomes an issue.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Think we have a winner!!!a reply to: thesaneone

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
A 'Redskin' Does, In Fact, Mean the Scalped Head of a Native American, Sold, Like a Pelt, for Cash

an excerpt from The Daily Republican newspaper in Winona, Minnesota from Sept. 24, 1863. It reads:

The State reward for dead Indians has been increased to $200 for every red-skin sent to Purgatory. This sum is more than the dead bodies of all the Indians east of the Red River are worth.

Those redskins were ripped from native heads, ripping apart families, tribes, the very essence of our tribal cultures. Redskins. Grotesque in every sense of the word.

Dude, totally agree but times change and words change meaning. If asked what a "redskin" was I'd wager that 98% would say a Native person. The other 2% a football player.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to: DenyObfuscation

Oh ok! I see now! If I called you a dirty S*** stain its ok because I don't see it as offensive? And I assure you I mean it in a positive, up lifting way.

Natives have always had problems with the name, this isn't anything new how are you gonna tell someone your honoring them if they see it as the exact opposite?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

e3asy work-around on this issue

simply create the new logo -> SKINS

the message, is delightfully communicated = Red Skins

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddguy

I always wondered how it honors us. I sure don't feel honored by someone selling our scalps for cash.

edit on 18-6-2014 by Onslaught2996 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Is pirating a nice thing?

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers brings to mind law-breakers and murderers. Perhaps one of my relatives was once killed by a pirate!

*sob*

Why, why Tampa! Why would you bring up such hatred!

(beezzer weeps uncontrollably)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I always wondered how it honors us. I sure don't feel honored by someone selling our scalps for cash.

I understand that you have a issues(Native issues are important to me) but is the name of an NFL football team really it? Like I posted above the name means a much different thing now to the atrocities that happened.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers brings to mind law-breakers and murderers. Perhaps one of my relatives was once killed by a pirate!

*sob*

Awwww....poor Beeze...here use these...

As a very wise Bunny once told me...

Get Over It...

Des...

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

*sob*

Yeah love how you compared us to law breakers and murders..

Not even the same thing..not even close, nice try though. By the way this is just one of many issues we have, compared to the others ones, this is small.

It may small but it goes to the bigger picture. My people were once a proud people but now we have become mascots..etc and that to us disrespect, if you can;t see that nothing will ever make you.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

*sob*

Not even the same thing..not even close, nice try though. By the way this is just one of many issues we have, compared to the others ones, this is small.

It may small but it goes to the bigger picture. My people were once a proud people but now we have become mascots..etc and that to us disrespect, if you can;t see that nothing will ever make you.

Oh.

Apologies.

So I cannot be offended? Is your "offended" better than my "offended"?

I didn't realize that there was an "offended" scale.

/sarc

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Oh ok! I see now! If I called you a dirty S*** stain its ok because I don't see it as offensive? And I assure you I mean it in a positive, up lifting way.
I see. Ok, go ahead and explain how that can be meant in a positive uplifting way.

See, IF I called you a

dirty S*** stain
I *could* say that would be a positive thing as that's better than what you are. Don't like it, don't start it.

As for

Natives have always had problems with the name, this isn't anything new how are you gonna tell someone your honoring them if they see it as the exact opposite?

That's a lie. Did you not read this www.abovetopsecret.com...? I didn't link you to it for nothing.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua
how about the Washington Wimps.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

You weren't. Can't have a reasonable conversation like that.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Just to humor you. what id i said " oh the dirt mean what youve been through, the s*** mean ridding your self of impurities and the stain means your here to stay". see i can manipulate it how I see fit but its not cool of me to call you that because YOU know its BS and yes natives have been offended for years maybe not all but live in maryland and work out in DC this case is not new to us. Even london fletcher a former team captain thinks we should change it..reply to: DenyObfuscation

edit on 18-6-2014 by Baddguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Just to be clear I'm not actualy calling you a DSS. We don't need to beef with each other, just debate

Typos because I'm on the phone

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Do you remember when those marines got in trouble for using the SS lighting bolts? What do you think that was about? Them using the symbol or something els?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddguy
a reply to: intrepid

Do you remember when those marines got in trouble for using the SS lighting bolts? What do you think that was about? Them using the symbol or something els?
Because lightning bolts mean nothing other than Nazis.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I have pondered new name for the team off and on all day. So in no particular order I submit:

The Washington Pansies,
The Washington Impeachments,
The Washington Crooks,
and to drive the point home The Washington Militia.

But until such time as another name is required, I would twist the knife a bit I would say that we are highly considering calling it The Washington Bundy's but are considering moving the team to a city in Nevada.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Just so you know, that's the Canadian prime minister Stephen Harper in the avatar, looking all dapper in a traditional headdress. The sheer irony of that pic stuns me.

Yes...this one is much better and oh-so manly, too!!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join