It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trademark board rules against Washington Redskins name

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'm sorry I have to say it, but I LOL'd when I first heard this news, not because I thought it was a serious situation, but more because I was wondering if they'll call themselves the Washington Black & Paleskins instead.

edit on 18/6/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
I'm sorry I have to say it, but I LOL'd when I first heard this news, not because I thought it was a serious situation, but more because I was wondering if they'll call themselves the Washington Black & Paleskins instead.

Yup...right after they finish making a box of crayons PC. They are tossing the black, red, yellow, brown and that ever offensive fleshtone one.

Your kids are going to be safe from offensive crayons....aren't you happy...

Des

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Careful there! Harry Reid's comin' for your avatar.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nighthawk1954

As a Redskins fan until i die, i agree that its time for the name to go. It was created by a racist owner during racially tense times so i see no "honoring natives" in it at all, And just because something has been wrong for 80 years doesn't mean it can't be changed. its that simple, change the name and lets move on.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Just so you know, that's the Canadian prime minister Stephen Harper in the avatar, looking all dapper in a traditional headdress. The sheer irony of that pic stuns me.

Another name: The Washington Redtapes...

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddguy
I see. Everyone must think like you. Got it.

Are you open minded enough to consider another view?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baddguy
a reply to: nighthawk1954

As a Redskins fan until i die, i agree that its time for the name to go. It was created by a racist owner during racially tense times so i see no "honoring natives" in it at all, And just because something has been wrong for 80 years doesn't mean it can't be changed. its that simple, change the name and lets move on.

Well as a baddguy fan until I die, I believe it's time to change your name on ATS. It was created for whatever reason but for personal reasons it offends me. It's that simple so please change your name and let's move on.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Just so you know, that's the Canadian prime minister Stephen Harper in the avatar, looking all dapper in a traditional headdress. The sheer irony of that pic stuns me.

I don't see a problem with the pic in and of itself and I have no idea of the context.

How would we feel if trailer parks world wide rose up against the depiction of peasants in Renaissance Faires(sp?)?

Another name: The Washington Redtapes

I like it. I think they applied for that as a backup years ago when this first came up. Ironically they're still waiting for approval from the trademark office.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: nighthawk1954
a reply to: thishereguy

How about the N.Y. Giants? Is their name insulting to the so called ancient Giants found all over the world ?

Or people with giantism?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Trailer Park Boys for the win!

How about the Washington Scalpers?

At least it has a double meaning.

edit on 18/6/14 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Trailer Park Boys for the win!

How about the Washington Scalpers?

At least it has a double meaning.

Yeah it does. Ticket scalping is illegal and should not be honored. That's why I objected to the baseball team being named the Senators.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=18049021]thesaneone[/pos

everyone must think like me? ok

yes i have considered other views but i don't like playing dumb...Marshall was known as the biggest racist in the NFL for 24 years did not want any blacs on his team..but im sure it was to honor the pride of blacks right?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Speaking personally (and somewhat seriously)... tradition is a thing of the past.

I couldn't care less what they call themselves as long as they can play a good game.

Another possibility: The Washington Beltway Ringers

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

welcome to the team..what name do you suggest that cause someone to feel deeply hurt, upset, or angry???

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
a reply to: tadaman
Actually 23 of the 566 tribes have complained.

You mean like the Oneida who let their actual tribal name be used for dinnerwar

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Just so you know, that's the Canadian prime minister Stephen Harper in the avatar, looking all dapper in a traditional headdress.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The guy looks like he needs his liver checked.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Speaking personally (and somewhat seriously)... tradition is a thing of the past.

I couldn't care less what they call themselves as long as they can play a good game.

I'm sorry in advance if I get in trouble for writing this, but I played a PlayStation created team once called the DC Crack Whores. Maybe they should go for that?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddguy

Marshall was known as the biggest racist in the NFL for 24 years did not want any blacs on his team

Please, if you insist on using that offensive term at least have the courtesy to spell it properly.

As far as Marshall being racist towards "blacs" I'll take your word for it. We're talking about American Indians. Show me proof he was racist against them.

For the duration of this post, I hate people of race "x". How does that make me racist against other races?

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I'm sorry in advance if I get in trouble for writing this, but I played a PlayStation created team once called the DC Crack Whores. Maybe they should go for that?

That's fine as long as you named your QB "Mayor For Life Marion Barry".

posted on Jun, 18 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright

Just so you know, that's the Canadian prime minister Stephen Harper in the avatar, looking all dapper in a traditional headdress.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The guy looks like he needs his liver checked.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

It's warpaint... like he's gonna do the tomahawk chop.

How about the Washington Bullpucks?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join