It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Night Time Rainbow..with pic....wicked electrical storm in Georgia last night.....

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I am just south of ATL.
Wicked is a good word to use....

My yard and pool are flooded, looks like a swamp.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Very pretty picture.

Something similar happened near me in Georgia, Atlanta area, but it was Thursday night. I almost thought I was crazy or gping blind for a minute. Was just sitting here looking out the window. Thunder in the distance. Raining. Sunset long past. Pitch black sky.

Then all of a sudden, a very loud and powerful crack of lightning hit to the left and turned and the sky turned a brilliant red. I said, "Whoaaaaa." It was pretty.

Thing is, I expected the red to fade away and the black sky to come back (there was no more lightning, unless it was far away and indiscernible to my eye), but it didn't. It stayed a bright, pinkish red for close to an hour, long past sunset, long past the lightning crack that lit it up. I began to think something was on fire in the distance, but no.

It was as though that one lightning hit flipped a switch on or painted the entire sky? Hard to explain.

We will typically get a pea-green soup muddy yellowish green sky here with storms, usually when there is tornadic activity, but I've never seen this kind of red before at night, for this long.

Of course I did a search for this. Didn't find anything about any phenomena really. Some stuff about air pollution and red skies. It was just an odd experience. This particular line of storms also had some very intense thunder, the very long lasting, ground shaking, rolling, rumbling kind before this happened. At one point I thought it was an earthquake too.

I do think storms are getting more intense and violent here the past few years. Fewer but more violent.

ETA: There was a line in the sky afterword in an arc now that I think about it. I took a picture, but it didn't come out.

EATA:

a reply to: Vasa Croe

Wait...so it was Thursday night? That's what I saw! a piece of that arc line thingy.
edit on 6/7/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/7/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Some of the most beautiful shots I have ever seen. If I was a sky spirit, I woulda taken the opportunity to ride that rainbow as a half pipe! Just wow! Thanks for sharing.

edit on 7-6-2014 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

VC,

Thanks for sharing this.

I love storms too, but especially rainbows.

I have never heard of them being taken at night.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Awesome pic's!

We have some incredible electric storms here where I live too. I've heard of these but haven't seen one myself. I think DIO saw one before:

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
My oh myyy....

I'm gutted I never get to see anything this amazing! I'm happy the interwebs allows us to see it!

Beautiful pics and an amazing event!

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Wow, that is very cool!!!
Awesome picture. Was it purple like that, or is that how the pic turned out?

I snapped a pic of an upside down rainbow couple of weeks ago.

Is there anything strange going on in our magnetosphere?

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Keep looking up and eventually you will see something.
a reply to: MrConspiracy

Often times it might be straight up in the sky above, where you aren't ever looking.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Pic of the sky that night. 'A eerie sight as the oblivion gate opened' said my daughter.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Those are some EPIC images, WOW! Nature still provides one of the greatest shows on earth, and at no cost.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Great Photo! Congrats on getting such a great capture. Photos like this don't happen very often.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Awesome pictures! I was out and tried to take my own pictures, but they aren't nearly that good.

A couple people mentioned the time:
This coincided pretty exactly with sunset in Atlanta. Sunset is the time the sun dips below the horizon, so we are relatively light until 8:45. After that, it takes maybe 30-35 minutes before we get pitch blackness.

The pink sky was AMAZING

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   
We had some pretty amazing after storm rainbows in the panhandle f Oklahoma as well. I'll post our double band rainbow once I get to a computer.

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Verity27
We had some pretty amazing after storm rainbows in the panhandle f Oklahoma as well. I'll post our double band rainbow once I get to a computer.

It's a long way away, but we had an electrical storm in Norway as well at around the same time. This was preceded by some amazing sunsets:

These usually precede or follow the arrival of a cruise liner. It's the sulphur and phosphorus in the fuel that generates these incredible purples , reds, oranges and yellows.

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
a reply to: hillbilly4rent
Love that pic. For some reason I can't star your post

edit on 8-6-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Thor coming from Asgard...

posted on Jun, 8 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Wow

Some of the coolest photo's I've ever seen, thanks for sharing VC

S&F

Cody

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harvin

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: mindseye1609
so my question is, what is the light source for it? its clearly got color in it so is it the sun? a moonbow is white and as far as i know prefer to hang around waterfalls.

was it the lightning that created the rainbow? if so does lightning refract the same as sunlight or are the colors going to be different?

I wondered that myself....this was about 8:30 PM and it was already dark and really cloudy skies with a LOT of rain coming down just prior to this.....you can see that the pavement is wet.

Nice images. Was the color the same in the images as you actually saw? Some digital cameras have problems with that color spectrum. Seems to depend on the light source though. Both images look similar in color. Goes from magenta to blue, as far as i can tell...just looked at the other images. All similar in color too.

Color was exactly as the camera is showing it....it's one of those things I wish I had a high res video camera to film it was so cool.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Yep...it was Thursday and yep it seemed the lightning is what lit the sky up after one big hit....was really interesting the way it happened.

posted on Jun, 9 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Yep...it was Thursday and yep it seemed the lightning is what lit the sky up after one big hit....was really interesting the way it happened.

Yes...one long lightning kind of...and the sky was pitch black right before too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join