It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bashar al-Assad re-elected Syrian president

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: LittleByLittle

Assad / government belongs to the Alwite - Shia.
60% of Syria are Sunni Arabs.

Just because you repeat that Assad only represent Alwite - Shia do not make it true no matter how many times you repeat it.

You have Christians, Shia and Sunni who are Pro Assad/Secular state and the Kurds who are Pro themselves, anti Arab Influence.

And in reality the Ukraine government do not represent the people at all since no elections have been so from my point of view they are an undemocratic puppet government but probably no worse than the previous pro Russia corrupt government except that they gave away the Ukrainian gold reserve to the FED.

Both so called revolutions is clearly created by CIA/US and its allies by influencing internal groups into Russian sphere of influence.
edit on 4-6-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

You know how I feel on this by now.

I agree with you completely. Assad is someone I'd love to see the Syrian people remove in an orderly and legal way, as their system has that. Not by overthrow by Al Qaeda affiliates and one of the worst specific organizations currently going in a region known for brutal warfare.

There is certainly no doubt on Assad being the best of all options for the time Syria is in a state of total chaos though. Just personal opinion as always, but as funny and "typical" this election outcome IS for a dictator? This one COULD actually have been accurate for the Syrian people's aversion to any further instability in national leadership.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

You know how I feel on this by now.

I agree with you completely. Assad is someone I'd love to see the Syrian people remove in an orderly and legal way, as their system has that. Not by overthrow by Al Qaeda affiliates and one of the worst specific organizations currently going in a region known for brutal warfare.

There is certainly no doubt on Assad being the best of all options for the time Syria is in a state of total chaos though. Just personal opinion as always, but as funny and "typical" this election outcome IS for a dictator? This one COULD actually have been accurate for the Syrian people's aversion to any further instability in national leadership.

Indeed.
I didn't intend to come off as rude, so i apologise if i did.

I agree! As another poster pointed out, Assad has (in general) maintained the majority of support, but i wonder how the statistics have fluctuated, considering the last measures were conducted some time ago. I don't think the Syrian election in general can be considered an accurate portrayal of the overall population (as the polls were only held in government controlled areas), but i think you are correct in that the election could possibly represent an accurate time in the political landscape of Syria. If the actions of the Syrian people are anything to go by, Assad still seems to enjoy popular support...

Hopefully things settle down over there. I don't see it happening any time soon though, considering the powers behind both major sides of the conflict.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Syrias Assad government is in the minority, just as Hussein was.

Elections were held in Ukraine and recognized.
Syrias - not so much.

There is a difference between the 2 so im not sure why you choose to ignore established facts.

posted on Jun, 4 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

A question about support -

When you live in a country where if you don't agree with the man in charge you can be rounded up and executed, what answer would you expect if -

A - You were a foreigner asking the question to a citizen of Syria?
B - What answer do you think you will most likely get?

This type of mindset is one people have a tendency to ignore and I am not sure why.

A 93% approval / received votes dos not equate into said approval and consent to be governed. These types of political systems, where due process does not exist and whose execution history is not so dainty, will over the years create a mass version of Stockholm syndrome. Anytime a question is asked where any answer other than we love Assad can result in you or your family disappearing how would you respond?

Were international observers allowed to monitor the elections?
Was a cease fire declared for the elections?
how long did it take from the time the polls closed to Assad being announced victor?

Its like Iraq.. Just because Hussein is dead does not mean the followers of him who lost power wont take revenge. Ending the rule of a dictator opens the floodgates of revenge actions by those very people who lost their position in government with the fall of the government.

Not yelling at you.. This is just one point many seem to ignore.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Well Syria is a democracy,a true democracy, Bashar is a people-loving president,he works hard 24/7 for his people,he loves nature,the world,he loves peace and it's all America's fault because America hates happy people.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wrabbit2000

Assad is someone I'd love to see the Syrian people remove in an orderly and legal way, as their system has that.
This one COULD actually have been accurate for the Syrian people's aversion to any further instability in national leadership.

How could they have a system to remove a dictator if they have no institutions?! he just "won" with over 80% of the vote!

Come on man. There is no peaceful or legal solution to getting rid of a dictatorship. The only choices are:

-They quit, but dictators are just too proud and vicious and evil for that.
-They implode, but money,(specially petro-dollars) make this one improbable.
-Civil resistance, old school,scary,bloody,difficult and effective.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: metodex
Well Syria is a democracy,a true democracy, Bashar is a people-loving president,he works hard 24/7 for his people,he loves nature,the world,he loves peace and it's all America's fault because America hates happy people.

Sarcasm or sarcasm?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Syrias Assad government is in the minority, just as Hussein was.
Elections were held in Ukraine and recognized.
Syrias - not so much.
There is a difference between the 2 so im not sure why you choose to ignore established facts.

I can say such things even about the government of USA ! It is relative, is not it ?

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Assad / government belongs to the Alwite - Shia.
60% of Syria are Sunni Arabs.

Stop this divide and conquer man !
Assad is secular !! there were Sunnies and even Christians in his cabinet. Assad belongs to Baath party of Syria. They are Secular.
Which Shia !? Even wife of Assad does not wear any Hijab.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Yes, Syria has been stable.

But coma patients could be considered to be stable also, however their condition is still not considered desirable!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: maes2

A comparison can surely be made however you would be comparing apples to moose droppings. The politics in Syria go heavily into religion, namely 2 groups who don't get along and don't care much for each other.

While religion plays a role in the US it does not delve into the depths it does in Syria.

Just because the words "Democratic" or "Republic" are in a country name does not mean it reflects the government. Iran is another example, where its official name is the Islamic Republic of Iran. A republic does not have a spiritual leader who is anointed to his position as opposed to voting him in.

The other argument I would make is I don't see the US government sending the military / secret forces into the US countryside killing Catholics or Baptists or Muslims, etc.

When a protest occurs in this country we don't send in the police and just starting killing / arresting people for protesting. Protesting in the US is a constitutional right. When people are arrested they are not arrested for protesting. Once protestors start blocking a public right of way they are denying another person right to freely move through the area, whether they agree with the protestors or not.

The same cannot be said about the Iranian government.

The setup of both governments are completely foreign to each other, making a comparison in some areas extremely difficult.

The inefficiency of the US Government was placed into our system by the founding fathers to ensure the minority opinion is heard and not simply dismissed. We see that everyday in the US.

With that said my comparisons with Syria and Iraq still stand as they are based on fact.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra
well I see. Syria lacks political structures but still there are and were hidden foreign hands which made sparks into a big fire !
Syria had political problems but certain motivations made it unstable. However I think after all of these Syria can promote itself so that it becomes more stable and it can damp such motivations.
Because of years of dictatorships in the middle east (dictators who were supported by colonialists of course) it is inexperienced and immature.
Moreover the religious extremism is supported in USA too. But they are aimed at middle east again not USA itself !
No not by government of USA. But by those who are always everywhere after such Scenarios.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
a reply to: intrptr

I never said Syria wasn't a mess. I said it has remained somewhat stable with Assad holding on to power...at least, more stable than what it would be under rebel control.

Thanks for your comment though.
I agree that Syria isn't such a pushover as Libya...but we'll see what happens eventually. I'm hoping things die down soon, as we really don't need Syria succumbing to the same crap Libya did.

Sorry for the delay. Didn't mean to come across as challenging your position. I agree with you about world events and value your content here.

I know this is PBS but content in here is unlike their usual main stream blather. Verrry revealing. Verrry must see.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

There's only one reason Syria ended up in this mess and that was because of Russia

The old cold war propaganda lives on.

Just so others know, a real disservice to older members here who remember the Cold war. They lived through it…

The war on communism, the bomb, Russiaphobia, It led to Vietnam and a host of other countries in Central America and Africa ( to name a few) besieged by endless war or the threat of it and untold death and suffering.

People that lived through that era remember it well and are quite aware of any propaganda designed to return to that kind of thinking.

The worst kind of fear mongering and subterfuge.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

Well we'll never know now.. considering the protests where huge nationwide anti government/ Assad protests, in any sane democratic country Assad should have stepped down as happened in Tunisia, Egypt, etc to avoid the blood shed that occurred when government forces began shooting at those protesters, we now have well over 200,000 dead, and probably well on its way to half a million with many millions injured and displaced, it's an absolute mess

The protests were not huge, the original rally was nothing more than 20,000 people and amongst them it is alleged their were militia men who murdered Police officers, doctors and other public figures whilst blocking off the roads so the Syrian Military couldn't get into the city.

As for the Assad stepping down or being ousted, did this work is Libya? Or has it worked in Iraq? What makes you think that the bloodshed would simply end if Assad actually did step down?

There's only one reason Syria ended up in this mess and that was because of Russia

No, I would say that Saudi Arabia with the back door funds of Europe and America arming extremists is the root cause of this mess

Russia knows full well that Syria is a 90% Sunni country and Sunnis tend to ally and side with the west... It was just to risky not to get involved and fund the whole show..Millions more will die unfortunately, the rebels... The Sunnis are pissed,

It'll end with Assads head on display for sure

Then the Sunni's are idiots because no Muslim should align themselves with any Western country.. This is strictly against Islam. Anyway what makes you think it matters what label the people of Syria fall under? When it comes down to it, they are all Muslims whether they are Shia or Sunni. If any of them were to choose between Shia and America, do you actually believe the Sunnis of Syria would choose America? Give me a break.

I have heard Syrian nationals say they would rather have bombs dropped on their homes by the Syrian Army than let the rebels take over their country. The truth is Syria is for Assad and the army are the peoples army made up of Syrian nationals.

edit on 5-6-2014 by DarknStormy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: TritonTaranis

The old cold war propaganda lives on.

Just so others know, a real disservice to older members here who remember the Cold war. They lived through it…

The war on communism, the bomb, Russiaphobia, It led to Vietnam and a host of other countries in Central America and Africa ( to name a few) besieged by endless war or the threat of it and untold death and suffering.

People that lived through that era remember it well and are quite aware of any propaganda designed to return to that kind of thinking.

The worst kind of fear mongering and subterfuge.

I'm surprised he hasn't claimed that Russia was behind 9/11 yet. Every post this guy makes is a jab at Russia, even in the cryptozoology forum.

As for Syria, the status quo will continue. The west will ignore the elections, the terrorists will continue to murder indiscriminately, Assad will continue to wage war against an external invasion. The elections changed nothing.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

A semi funny sarcastic remark.

Assad is no Angel but he's a hell of a lot better than Saudi / US supplied Child Killing Terrorists!

Like others have said just take a look at Libya. It's a War Zone turned Bloodbath because of these Western created Crazies!

I'm glad Assad is back in fixed or otherwise! The US and UK both fix their elections to keep the same power in charge of their countries but they do it for the reason of helping themselves and their bosses of the Federal Reserve. They have no love or empathy for the people. At least Assad does have a love for his people. The only questionable attributes I can see are the fact that he has stayed at Buckingham Palace and been friends with the Royal Family. That for me makes him a little bit suspicious!

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: maes2

I am saying there is a fundamental difference between the government structure of Syria and that of the US. I am saying the underlying political and religious affects in Syria are not the same as the US.

I am saying you must take into account the differences of culture, religion and how a government enforces laws.

A religion that requires a man to grow a beard is fine.
When failure to grow a beard becomes a crime against the state there is a problem.

posted on Jun, 5 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Dorrell

Child Killing?

Apparently you have not seen the number of children that have been killed in Syria by both sides. If you really want to go down this road consider the fact the laws in the Middle East, based on religion in some, have a long history of killing children or selling them off as slaves or child brides.

This is where the argument from the other side of the question becomes problematic.

Killing is wrong - period.
To justify killing by making the argument - well the US has done this or the US has done that is akin to the parent asking their kid why they did something and the child responding "because".

If you are disturbed by "child killing" then you should be disturbed by It regardless. Taking a position (this is how you are coming across anyways) of being offended by child killing and invoking the US while failing to mention Syria paints the picture that child killing is justified when the people doing it are ones you support.

Its even worse when that justification comes off as a dismissal because somehow a child born in one country / religion is better than another.

You either find it offensive and abhorrent or you don't. There is no middle ground on this one.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join