It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private Mars One Colony Project Signs Deal with TV Production Company

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I thought this might be a bit interesting to people here on ATS. Mars One, which plans to land humans on Mars to establish a permanent colony, has signed a deal which will bring the adventure of selecting, training, and placing the first Earthlings on Mars. The deal is signed with Darlow Smithson Productions for worldwide distribution of the tv show as early as 2015.

The Netherlands-based nonprofit Mars One, which aims to land four settlers on the Red Planet in 2025, announced today (June 2) that it has signed a deal with Darlow Smithson Productions (DSP), an Endemol-owned company, to film its astronaut selection and training process.

"Our team felt all along that we needed a partner whose strength lies in factual storytelling to an international audience," Mars One co-founder and CEOBas Lansdorp said in a statement. "DSP will provide that to Mars One, while allowing our selection committee to maintain control of the applicant selection process. This really is a perfect fit for both of us." [Images of Mars One's Red Planet Colony Project]

From the article.

Mars One hopes the 2025 landing establishes a permanent and growing Red Planet colony, with more settlers arriving every two years thereafter. The organization plans to pay its bills primarily by staging a global media event around the settlement effort, from astronaut selection to the colonists' time on Mars.

As many have predicted here on ATS, the privatization of Space is the fastest way to get to the stars....Mars One isn't wasting time. I just hope that private industry doesn't rape and pillage the solar system. Funny thing is that by the time NASA gets there, there will already be people there as colonists. Oh, the Hypocrisy! What says ATS?

www.space.com...
edit on 2-6-2014 by lostbook because: add text

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Honestly , I feel depressed that its the reality TV culture, and the need to be "entertained" while we sit on our fat butts, watching OTHER people doing things, pushing us to the far reaches, instead of the spirit of exploration......

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Honestly , I feel depressed that its the reality TV culture, and the need to be "entertained" while we sit on our fat butts, watching OTHER people doing things, pushing us to the far reaches, instead of the spirit of exploration......

They're using sales and advertising money gained from the TV show to pay for this little venture. So, yeah. While we're tired of the reality craze, it's what's allowing us to go in the first place.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

They're using sales and advertising money gained from the TV show to pay for this little venture. So, yeah. While we're tired of the reality craze, it's what's allowing us to go in the first place.

yes they are , ive been reading up on this for quite some time now, its basically going to be a reality show......which is unfortunate to me, because Look at what reality shows are now, its not the way I really want our progress to the outer reaches to be looked back upon..........

Know what i mean?

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

While I agree that this isn't the optimal idea of how this should be done, just think. There might actually be an interesting reality show in the future.

Plus, think how cool it will be to have its reunion show on mars. X D

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I for one would love to see their journey from now until lift off, it does make for great reality tv. And its better then MTV doing the production..I can already see that happening...truelife: Im a martian....

anyways I hope to see this sooner then later =p

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I knew it!!! I saw that coming from miles (or light years) away. The question in my mind is, will the production crew and camera staff also be on the one way trip? Or, will they try to direct from Earth, in which case it would be hard to keep people shooting footage, when they become upset and demoralized. I foresee things going poorly - they tried this on Earth already, with the Biosphere 2, in Tucson, AZ. If actually on Mars with no way back, what incentive (money won't be one at that point, since they aren't coming back to a place where money matters), would there be?

Or... in the end, will we find out it was all a psychological experiment where the participants are only led to BELIEVE they are on Mars, for the sake of the reality tv show?

I am feeling very negative about this whole deal. A serious expedition, would plan an exit strategy from the very beginning. Saying it is real, and a one way trip, is the worst kind of appeal to bravado, showmanship, and probably a legal disclaimer that makes it all go away for those responsible, when it all crashes down and real lives are lost. Or the hoax is exposed. One or the other, either option is not good, in my book.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
And if the show is a dud do they just cancel it and let em die off? Watching the same faces for 2 years is gonna be boring, so I bet their acting skills will be more what they are looking for than science skills. What a waste.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Questions:

1) how do they plan on building livable infrastructure on Mars?
2) how do they plan to provide enough oxygen inside the buildings?
3) how do they plan to provide enough food to the Mars colonies?
4) how do they plan on generating enough energy to support the above?

Answer me these questions in a satisfactory manner and then I'll believe it's a good idea.
edit on 3/6/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   
For the first time we maybe able to vote people off the planet.
Wait till they start their FB page then its on.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I forgot about this Mars one thing.
It might be the only reality show I might watch.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I hate reality TV, I don't watch any of it. I feel it's the realm of braindead morons incapable of having 2 brain cells collide more than once in a blue moon, if that frequently.

However. The Mars One mission needs funding, and this is a way to do it. With any serious luck, it will be science heavy, educational, and absent of Real Housewives/Jersey Shore drama queen bullsnip. If the viewing content is right, this could have the potential to jumpstart the space travel & colony industry by way of inspiring our young to literally aim for the stars. My youngest is very obsessed with space and space travel, and I have no doubt that she may well be a Mars or Lunar colonist in her adult years. Other kids might be inspired to think outside the planetside box from watching the processes of this mission on the boob tube/internet.
edit on 6/3/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Hopefully it will be tasteful and not all Jersey Sh*t Shore & all the other "reality" shows out there. It's not really reality when it's scripted & everyone is portraying an image.

I wonder though...if there are aliens out there, will they allow us to colonize Mars or do they think we are too violent to be in space?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I have a sneaking suspicion that the ploy of the reality show under the premise that it will raise funds for the actual trip is a little lofty, and perhaps planned to fail. Meanwhile executing the actual primary objective, (a profitable reality show) instead.

That would be a shame.

However, if it is a legitimate push to raise funds for the mission, and they succeed, and they keep it classy without too much fake "reality" tossed in like traditional reality shows, it could be one of the greatest projects ever, documenting history as it happens.

Imagine any of the great historical feats of mankind, or wars, or just about anything being recorded and documented for future generations to see.

I would spend hours watching marathons ever weekend...

"Sphynx & the Pyramids - Giza under construction"
"Hitler outtakes - out of antacid and gas in his chamber"
"Jesus and the rock ballad of Nazareth"
"Wright brothers take 20 - test flights leading up to Kitty Hawk"
"Khan - The great wall that wasn't so great."

*Makes popcorn
edit on 3-6-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
Questions:

1) how do they plan on building livable infrastructure on Mars?
2) how do they plan to provide enough oxygen inside the buildings?
3) how do they plan to provide enough food to the Mars colonies?
4) how do they plan on generating enough energy to support the above?

Answer me these questions in a satisfactory manner and then I'll believe it's a good idea.

Good question. As I understand it the habitats, greenhouse, and other infrfastructure necessities will be sent previous to the colonists actually landing in 2025. What concerns me is that the date for the expected first human footprints on Mars keeps changing.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It was their intent from the beginning to turn this in to a reality TV stunt. One of the "ambassadors" for the project, Paul Romer, produced and co-created the show Big Brother.

This is going to be a fail of epic proportions. Why would anyone try to put a colony on Mars when we haven't even been back to our own moon?
edit on 6/3/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

yes they are , ive been reading up on this for quite some time now, its basically going to be a reality show......which is unfortunate to me, because Look at what reality shows are now, its not the way I really want our progress to the outer reaches to be looked back upon..........

Know what i mean?

Yeah, I know what you mean. The media has a way of over-dramatizing/ bastardizing everyday living-the human condition. However, I think the risks from such manipulation could be very dangerous and risk the lives of everyone on this quest.

There's too much at stake.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
This wont even make it to TV. How do we expect to put man on Mars when we never even made it to our moon? Hopefully for the sake of the people chosen to go, they will tape this "reality show" back here on Earth with another genius Kubrick-like mind to direct it

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I agree...I am very, very interested in the people chosen, their training etc.

I think it will be a much better quality reality TV program...than let's say (The Real Housewives of....).

If I remember correctly... they are not going to Mars for about 10 years. So far...in what I have read about this...the thing that bothers me is...once they land on Mars...can they come back to Earth if they want to...or are they stuck on Mars?

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
If you really want the answers to all your questions :
www.mars-one.com...

Go to the souce

First unmanned flights begin in 2018

top topics

<<   2 >>

join