It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green tea component upsets cancer cell metabolism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

A new study reveals how an active component of green tea disrupts the metabolism of cancer cells in pancreatic cancer, offering an explanation for its effect on reducing risk of cancer and slowing its progression. The researchers believe the discovery signals a new approach to studying cancer prevention.

Reported in the journal Metabolomics, the study explores the effect of epigallocatechin gallate or "EGCG," an active biological agent of green tea. It shows that EGCG changes the metabolism of pancreatic cancer cells by suppressing the expression of lactate dehydrogenase A or LDHA, a critical enzyme in cancer metabolism.

umerous studies have previously suggested green tea and its extracts may provide suitable treatments for cancer, as well as other diseases.

For example, one published in 2012 suggested that drinking green tea may lower risk of digestive system cancers in women while another found EGCG delivered intravenously directly to tumors made two-thirds of them shrink or disappear within one month.

Source

Article in question

pancreatic cancer will be soon the principal cause of cancer death in the US so good news, everyone to drink green tea YAY
its for your own good
i don't like it sorry.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
And eating carrots improves your vision.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Psynic

Where is your peer reviewed article backing your claim?

There is one in my op if you don't trust me

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this!
I switched to green tea from coffee several months ago - it's my morning beverage now - at least 2 cups of it.

I've been "on it" long enough now that I've learned which brands are very acidic and cause mild nausea, and which are less so -
so far Celestial Seasonings' Green Tea with White Tea to mellow it is the easiest and tastiest.

I wonder how long one needs to drink it to get the effects of the antioxidants...

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

When you see an article like this you got to remember they use the active compound to make the study, im pretty sure you got to drink gallons of green tea to see an effect

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Don't drink it on an empty stomach is my advice. Last time I did that I was vomiting it back up within 10 mins. I've gone for a mixed ginger and green tea, which is much easier on the tummy.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

Well, I browsed your sources, and looked at a couple of other link reports/articles -
it said 2-10 cups a day seems to have the effect, so, I'm good.

It's not just pancreatic cancer, either, it's also a deterrent in cardiovascular disease, stroke, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, skin cancer from UV exposure, cavities, prostate cancer, and diabetes - as well as promoting working memory. source

In any case, it has about half the caffeine (or less) of coffee, which is part of the reason I switched - and I was a daily coffee drinker for nearly 40 years - but I noticed it was causing tremors, so I decided to switch and see how I felt (also to see if it was the coffee causing the tremors - via process of elimination). No more tremors! A nice wake-up, too!

But yeah, it can cause upset on an empty stomach - I researched about that and then, as suggested, tried eating 3-4 saltines with it, which eliminated the nausea altogether.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I'm not sure if Psynic was being a smart-ass or actually stating it as factual, but carrots and other colorful (orange) veggies and fruits ARE good for your eyes.

Vitamin A obtained from colorful fruits and vegetables is in the form of "provitamin A" carotenoids, which are converted to retinol by the body after the food is ingested. Good food sources of provitamin A carotenoids include carrots, sweet potatoes, spinach, kale and cantaloupes.
Beta carotene is one of the most prevalent and effective provitamin A carotenoids.

Eye Benefits of Vitamin A and Beta Carotene

Because vitamin A helps protect the surface of the eye (cornea), it is essential for good vision.

Studies show vitamin A eye drops are effective for the treatment of dry eyes. In fact, one study found that over-the-counter lubricating eye drops containing vitamin A were as effective for the treatment of dry eye syndrome as more expensive prescription eye drops formulated for dry eye relief.

Vitamin A eye drops also have been shown effective for the treatment of a specific type of eye inflammation called superior limbic keratoconjunctivitis.

Vitamin A, at least when in combination with other antioxidant vitamins, also appears to play a role in decreasing the risk of macular degeneration (AMD). In the landmark Age-Related Eye Disease Study (AREDS) sponsored by the National Eye Institute, people at high risk for the disease who took a daily multiple vitamin that included vitamin A (as beta carotene), vitamin C, vitamin E, zinc and copper had a 25 percent reduced risk of advanced AMD during a six-year period.

It also appears that a combination of vitamin A and lutein may prolong vision in people suffering from retinitis pigmentosa (RP). A recent four-year study conducted by researchers from Harvard Medical School and other prominent universities found that individuals with retinitis pigmentosa who took daily supplements of vitamin A (15,000 IU) and lutein (12 mg) had a slower loss of peripheral vision than those who did not take the combined supplements.

www.allaboutvision.com...

Off-topic, but yeah. To Psynic - they do. And to the OP - there ya go!
Other superfoods I consume are avocados, tomatoes, broccoli, blueberries and yeah - carrots and sweet potatoes.

posted on Jun, 2 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I wonder if green tea food supplements are as good as drinking it. I tried drinking green tea last year and could not bare the taste.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I've been drinking it for years - it's my main drink.

Total fluke how it came about; one place I inhabited didn't have a fridge, so it was a pain to make ordinary black tea with milk, as the milk kept going off.

So I switched to green.

Probably 5 or 6 cups a day.

And I'm teetotal.

Still smoke though. Bummer.

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

LOL!! Well, I have to admit my main beverage is beer. Tea in the mornings....
and yeah, I smoke. So far, though - very healthy!!!!

posted on Jun, 3 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Carry on, don't mind me! As long as you stay within the recommended weekly units.

I don't drink because I like to have a clear head (though the occasional shot of whisky doesn't come amiss if I'm wired).

posted on Jun, 7 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Swimming in a pool of green tea every day with your mouth wide open is not going to affect the nearly 50% of the USA currently expected to be diagnosed with cancer. That is the present rate. Fukushima is just starting to make it's presence known in the health of North Americans.

Within the next ten years this rate will skyrocket from 50% to who knows what. 90%, 95%!

But there's nothing to worry about people.

Just have a cuppa, keep calm and carry on.

posted on Jul, 31 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Green tea has many health benefits!
Helps the body rid of toxins,eases inflammation,good for the skin,reduces risk of many cancers,Anti-anging,protects the teeth.
Just just a few benefits of this amazing drink,among lots of other benefits.I know this from years of research on green tea.
Ive been drinking it for over 5 years.Green tea,coffee and water is the only thing i drink.Coffee in the morning,and about 3 cups of green tea through the day,and about 8 glasses of water.

top topics

join